Old 16 Feb 20, 05:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Scruffette
Very Serious Dibber

O Can-aska - Day 6 - Dawes Glacier

O Can-aska - Day 6

Index

Wednesday 4th September 2019 - Dawes Glacier

This was one of the days I had most been looking forward to this trip – we would be travelling through Endicott Arm towards Dawes Glacier. I hope you like photos of fjords and glaciers

Not wanting to miss out on any action, we went for breakfast in Cabanas and decided to sit outside.

It’s always easy to identify my breakfast plate from the photos, as it’s basically sugar -

And Ollie seemed to go for noodles every morning!

The navigator said that we would be ‘scenic cruising’ from midday. There was another naturalist presentation in the theatre on fjords and glaciers which we went to see.

We took in hot chocolates and these treats that were left in our room (even though we didn’t complete Anna’s scavenger hunt).

The talk was really interesting, but I was so tired that I was really trying to fight falling asleep. Normally I’d just embrace it and have a doze, but I wanted to stay awake for this one. Eventually, I must have briefly nodded off and then jumped awake almost out of my seat! At this point, I gave up and had a 10 minute power nap on Ollie’s shoulder. I felt a bit rude, but hopefully the presenter didn’t notice. After the talk, I made Ollie fill me in on everything I’d missed.

We took a stroll around deck 4, where we spotted a whale in the distance. They were far away, but we had binoculars with us to help us see. It was amazing to be able to see them from the ship.

Although we weren’t yet ‘scenic cruising’, we wanted to try and get a good spot near the front of the ship, so headed up to the pool deck. Cast members were coming round this morning with hot chocolate, which is always appreciated.

It was looking pretty much like grey mist at this point –

We weren’t sure when we would be stopping for lunch later, so we grabbed a couple of snacks now. Tenders and shwarma anyone? We didn’t actually end up having lunch in the end, so I was glad we stopped for these.

Just before midday, an announcement came over the tannoy that we wouldn’t be entering Endicott Arm yet due to the mist – limited visibility would make it difficult to navigate around ice in the water. We’ve all seen Titanic, so this was understandable. The Captain hoped we would be able to continue our journey later, but there was a chance that the mist wouldn’t clear at all. I did think that pictures of the mist still look pretty -

We chatted to a cast member who said this was fairly normal on the cruises this season and on most trips they’d still been able to sail to Dawes Glacier, so we were pretty optimistic. The blue skies in the distance was giving us hope!

With the boat stationary, there was less of a breeze and the sun had come out, making for a pleasant temperature on deck. I de-layered a bit and took off my coat.

With us not moving for a while, we decided to join the meet and greet line for Minnie Mouse. It was the only day she would be in her Alaskan outfit, which is really cute!

The queue was long, as expected. We weren’t really sure where to join as no cast members were there yet. There was almost a mutiny when two different people both claimed to be the front of the line. Once Minnie did come out, the line moved fairly quickly due to a super-efficient cast member.

We were still not moving due to mist, so the obvious thing to do was join the line for Mickey – he was coming out half an hour later than Minnie on the port side instead of starboard. The line was already pretty long, although it definitely moved a bit slower.

Just as we were meeting Mickey, the ship started moving! We were so excited for this.

As we started moving again, it got a lot chillier. When packing for the trip, I wasn’t sure how many layers I’d need for this day. There was lots of talk about the weather in the facebook group for this cruise, but I’d assumed that it was Floridians who were worried about the cold, and that the Canadians and Brits would be fine with the weather. What I’d forgotten is that I really feel the cold even on a normal day!

I had a couple of tshirt layers, a thin jumper and thicker jumper, then a warm coat with scarf and a hat. I had leggings on under my jeans and thick socks. I just wished I had brought gloves with me as well! They brought round blankets at one point and I tied one of these around my shoulders!

Blue ice –

Eventually we were approaching Dawes glacier –

It really was spectacular. I don’t think the pictures to justice to how calm and peaceful everything seemed.

When the ship turned around to head the opposite way out of Endicott Arm, which was quite impressive to watch, we headed to the back of the ship so we still had a view of the glacier.

I think most people had left their spots by now and the back of the ship was reasonably quiet!

Bye glacier!

Even once the glacier was out of view, we hung around here for a while as we sailed out of Endicott Arm. We were both a bit peckish, so I popped up to Daisy de Lites and came back with cookies and hot chocolates.

Chip and Dale also randomly appeared at the back of the ship at one point.

We were outside for most of the day – time passed really quickly as there was just so much to look at. The whole day felt like an excursion, even though we never left the ship. This was one of my favourite days of our trip and so memorable.

We headed down to deck 4 for a bit, to check out the view from there. Inconsiderably, all the chairs on deck 4 were taken!

More blocks of ice –

Eventually we headed back inside, catching some of the maypole dancing. They made the parents do one of the dances, which was quite quick and entertaining to watch.

Daisy was out and about –

We headed back to the room to drop a few layers, and then heading to tonight’s show in the Disney Theatre – the Music and Comedy of John Charles.

I enjoyed his show far more this evening than his adult’s show last night. Again, he seemed to know every song that the audience threw at him!

The Frozen Deck Party was on between the show and dinner, but I really didn’t fancy getting cold again. We’d also seen the show in 2016, where it left me a bit underwhelmed.

I thought that we’d be able to watch this on the tv in the stateroom, but I must have remembered this incorrectly.

Instead, we watched a bit of the Incredibles on the Pixar channels. It’s a shame the Wonder doesn’t have on demand films like the other ships.

Our towel animal was already waiting for us –

We were back in Animator’s Palate tonight, re-joined by our tablemates.

After a couple of nights, our server now had my drink order waiting for me when I arrived – a coke zero with no ice and a water.

Tonight was Frozen night and I wasn’t feeling too optimistic about the menu. We had the Frozen menu on the Magic in 2016 and were both really underwhelmed. Ollie still talks about how bad his mushroom soup, that turned out to be more of a consommé, was. In fact, if we had decided to do a Palo dinner on this cruise, I would have intentionally booked it on Frozen night!

However, our experience of the Frozen menu tonight was a lot better.

To start, I chose the Jarlsberg tart – with onion and thyme. The second night in a row I had a jarlsberg starter.

Ollie went for Elsa’s Coronation scallops – Princess scallops baked in a shrimp cognac tarragon cream sauce topped with flaky pastry

This looked impressive when it was served. This was a good opportunity for Ollie to try scallops, as he’d never really had them before. I don’t think scallops are his favourite, but he’s glad he tried them.

For the salad course we both chose the Anderson’s Baby Field Greens – with vanilla, apricots, brioche croutons, candied walnuts and lingonberry dressing.

Ollie tries to deny he had this dish, but I don’t have photos of anything else. Our servers added the dressing table side. I have to admit, it was a bit more like a yoghourt than a dressing!

For mains, we both chose Anna’s honey-mustard marinated salmon – with sautéed spinach, new potatoes and an aquavit sour cream sauce.

This was cooked really nicely, not dry at all and so much better than our previous picks off the frozen menu.

We also got a dish on the side to share - Lobster ravioli – with ricotta cheese, spinach and a lobster-tarrgon reisling wine sauce.

This was nice on the side, but not as nice as the salmon.

For dessert, I had the Oaken warm apple pudding cake – served with butterscotch cinnamon sauce and vanilla bean ice cream

I’m all for anything with apple and cinnamon together.

Ollie went for Elsa’s chocolate and raspberry tart – layered with fresh raspberries, chocolate ganache and chocolate truffle mousse brushed with raspberry paste.

The bit about the raspberry paste in the description sounds a bit odd, but he seemed to enjoy this.

After dinner, we headed to the adult evening show in Azure, which was The Ventriloquism and Comedy of Michael Harrison, but the adult version of his show this time.

In one part, he was having a conversation with a tennis ball puppet, and a moment really summed up my cruising experience :

Tennis ball : I’m hungry
Michael : But you just had dinner an hour ago
Tennis ball : Yeah, but I’m on a cruise.

For a comedy ventriloquist, who I’d normally be fairly critical of, I really enjoyed the show.

After the show we headed to bed, ready for our first port of call at Skagway tomorrow.

Day 7 - Skagway

Edited at 08:02 PM.
Scruffette is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 20, 08:03 AM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Stunning! I'm glad the fog lifted for you. I agree, the fog shots are beautiful!
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 20, 01:31 PM  
Link to this Post
smedley
Imagineer

Mobile

Fabulous day! I am super excited for this one. I’m assuming you didn’t bother with the glacier explorer trip?

Previous trips (mostly villas,) '98,'00,03,04x2,06,07,11 (first onsite stay SSR),12 villa and RCI cruise,14 OKW,15 RCI cruise, Clearwater and Int Drive. 16 West Coast DL, 17
smedley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 20, 07:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Scruffette
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by caj View Post
Stunning! I'm glad the fog lifted for you. I agree, the fog shots are beautiful!
Me too! I think everywhere in Alaska looks beautiful, even in fog!

Originally Posted by smedley View Post
Fabulous day! I am super excited for this one. I’m assuming you didn’t bother with the glacier explorer trip?
We didn't bother with the glacier explorer. I'm pretty sure they were cancelled on our trip due to the fog anyway. The views from the ship were amazing, so I don't feel like I missed anything. Enjoy!
Scruffette is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 20, 03:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkermom
Apprentice Imagineer

The photos of the glacier are fantastic, the scenery today just Wow 😮
Old 2 Mar 20, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Scruffette
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Tinkermom View Post
The photos of the glacier are fantastic, the scenery today just Wow 😮
One of my favourite days of the trip! Thanks for reading
Old 25 Mar 20, 01:33 PM  
Link to this Post
disney owl
Imagineer

disney owl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
brilliant photos, Alsaka is definitely on our cruise bucket list
June 2001, August 2003,2007 &Sept 2010 - WDW Offsite
June 2005 - DLP Davy Crockett Ranch
disney owl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Apr 20, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Scruffette
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by disney owl View Post
brilliant photos, Alsaka is definitely on our cruise bucket list
Alaska is just beautiful - definitely recommended. Thanks for reading
Old 21 Apr 20, 12:39 AM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
Stunning photos and a day that sounds like cruising at its very best - certainly a place that needs to be seen. It is on my list!
Will take your advice about gloves though - it even looks cold!

A great day and memories that will be forever etched in your memories

Going out in a Blaze of Glory- Our Summer of Sorcery 2019 - COMPLETE! 4 Weeks, from The Yacht Club for 10 nights onto much more Florida fun too

All of our previous Trip reports and escapades can be read here.
walt4it is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Apr 20, 07:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Scruffette
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by walt4it View Post
Stunning photos and a day that sounds like cruising at its very best - certainly a place that needs to be seen. It is on my list!
Will take your advice about gloves though - it even looks cold!

A great day and memories that will be forever etched in your memories
It really was such a memorable cruising day, my favourite day spent on a cruise ship (excluding getting engaged on a cruise, of course).

Despite blue skies at times it really was chilly! Thanks for reading