Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 18 Jul 20, 11:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Susan Coleman
Imagineer

Susan Coleman's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Good luck Tracey..the stated date can be very important
As a villa owner I have just helped several sets of guests claim on their policies
My advice on cancelling is never to claim until you have written proof you cannot fly to Florida..otherwise it can be interpreted that it was your choice to cancel!
Some of my guests' insurance co required me to issue a proof of my refusal to refund,
which I did stating that the lack of opportunity to fly to Florida, US gov legislation, had rendered the villa stay impossible...and then included a copy of my T&C's relevant info
They paid up with a small excess fee in every case
Some paid up with no extra paperwork of this nature required, just booking form and receipt for monies received, clearly dated, with full explanation

Good luck to everybody who is pursuing a claim xxx
Relax with drinks on the south facing pool terrace...
All day sun..fabulous lake view...beautiful sunsets...
Disney magic in professionally themed Mickey's room!

http://www.disneyvillaaurora.com
New pool mosaics and lights!
Susan Coleman is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 20, 02:40 PM  
Link to this Post
John
Imagineer

John's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
I booked a dibb villa for 3 weeks commencing 29th Aug, however I knew about 3 weeks ago we would no longer be able to go. Hoping the villa management company could maybe find another renter, I let them know I was cancelling. I 'lost' my $100 deposit, but that was the contract, if I cancel I lose it, so can't argue the point. I do feel for those that own villa's and have lost their income due to no fault of their own. I certainly wasn't going to ask for a refund even though it looks like they won't be able to rent over this period.
John is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 20, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post
WendyWilson
Imagineer

WendyWilson's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4
I’ve also had my insurance claim refused because I cancelled the villa more than 28 days before we were due to travel. This is despite the fact that VA cancelled our flights & the FCO state we are unable to travel to the USA.

RBS Insurance will not refund our villa deposit. I didn’t try to make a claim with them more than 28 days before we were due to fly as they won’t allow you to do so. However, as I cancelled the villa as soon as I found out our flights were cancelled, they are refusing my claim! Utterly ridiculous as if I’d have waited any longer, the full amount was payable and I’d have lost that. I’m absolutely fuming

I lodged a complaint with their complaints department who replied to me with a quote from their insurance policy booklet saying they were simply refusing my claim.

Needless to say I’ve written to the ombudsman. If nothing else, it helped me get it off my chest.

I think the insurance company are looking at this very black and white when circumstances are not so. I’m certain there are many people in exactly the same situation. I’m hoping The ombudsman has a more common sense approach - we’ll see.
Old 13 Aug 20, 08:03 PM  
Link to this Post
christybell
Imagineer

Originally Posted by WendyWilson View Post
I’ve also had my insurance claim refused because I cancelled the villa more than 28 days before we were due to travel. This is despite the fact that VA cancelled our flights & the FCO state we are unable to travel to the USA.

RBS Insurance will not refund our villa deposit. I didn’t try to make a claim with them more than 28 days before we were due to fly as they won’t allow you to do so. However, as I cancelled the villa as soon as I found out our flights were cancelled, they are refusing my claim! Utterly ridiculous as if I’d have waited any longer, the full amount was payable and I’d have lost that. I’m absolutely fuming

I lodged a complaint with their complaints department who replied to me with a quote from their insurance policy booklet saying they were simply refusing my claim.

Needless to say I’ve written to the ombudsman. If nothing else, it helped me get it off my chest.

I think the insurance company are looking at this very black and white when circumstances are not so. I’m certain there are many people in exactly the same situation. I’m hoping The ombudsman has a more common sense approach - we’ll see.
I could have written this... my timing of my cancellation meant a smaller insurance claim of deposit only, however they basically told me I should have paid the balance, waited until within 28 days then cancelled and had a larger claim...bonkers! Keen to hear how you get on with the ombudsman- good luck!

July 2009 ASM/TI/Hmew'd Suites
August 2010 OKW/Dibb villa
July2011 OKW/RPR/Cocoa Beach/Dibb Villa
July 2012 RPR/Carnival Destiny/Dibb Villa
July 2013 OKW/Anna Maria Island/Dibb Villa
Nov 2013 Sunset Lakes- my 40th Birthday
April 2014 Cruise and Villa
April 2015 Clearwater/RPR/Dibb Villa
Dec 2015 Dibb Villa to see the Xmas lights
July 2016 RPR/Cruise/Dibb villa
christybell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 20, 12:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Tracyjj0
Imagineer

It’s so frustrating isn’t it?
I’d be very interested to hear if you get anywhere with pursuing this. Bonkers that if you’d waited until you’d paid the balance, they would’ve paid out a lot more money. Using a technicality in these strange times, seems so unfair!
Old 15 Aug 20, 07:09 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

While I totally agree this is just plain stupid I guess the insurance companies are suggesting you could have waited to see if FCO advice was lifted and then booked other flights. You made the choice to cancel the villa because those particular flights were cancelled without waiting to see if you could get other flights and travel.

Please note I would have done what you did but you live and learn. I guess this is the another issue with an unpackaged holiday
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 20, 08:17 AM  
Link to this Post
katy341
Imagineer

Just catching up with this thread... i had a silver policy with Axa as advised by Martin Lewis. I rented and paid in full to a private villa owner for our nay holiday. Once charter travel informed me the flight won't be going ahead I told the owner I wouldn't be making it to Orlando to use the villa. She wouldn't offer anything other than security deposit back and advised me to claim on my insurance. Insurance paid out (minus 100 each excess) for flight and disney accommodation deposits that were lost but not the villa. I cant see anything in my policy about 28day rule and I sent them the screenshot I took of the FCO travel ban. They haven't provided a reason as to why they haven't paid out fir villa but its 1675 that I simply can't afford to lose. I write to the financial ombudsman but haven't had anything even as an acknowledgement of receipt of my complaint yet. I called Axa twice to ascertain their reason for not paying out and have been told on both occasions that my case handler is not available and I would be contacted in 7 to 10 working days...of course I havent been!
katy341 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 20, 01:24 PM  
Link to this Post
WendyWilson
Imagineer

WendyWilson's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4
Wow, that’s shocking treatment from your insurers. They should have, at the very least, told you the reason for not paying out the claim for the villa!

I don’t know why the Ombudsman haven’t acknowledged your claim, seems rather odd. I sent my claim to them online and got a standard email response immediately. It did say it may take a number of weeks to get back to me but they did reply. If I were you, I’d contact them again. Also, contact AXA again and ask to speak to your case handler’s supervisor or manager - their conduct is not good enough. It’s a lot of money to lose and you shouldn’t be simply fobbed off. Good luck.
Old 29 Aug 20, 06:01 AM  
Link to this Post
katy341
Imagineer

Wow, that’s shocking treatment from your insurers. They should have, at the very least, told you the reason for not paying out the claim for the villa!

I don’t know why the Ombudsman haven’t acknowledged your claim, seems rather odd. I sent my claim to them online and got a standard email response immediately. It did say it may take a number of weeks to get back to me but they did reply. If I were you, I’d contact them again. Also, contact AXA again and ask to speak to your case handler’s supervisor or manager - their conduct is not good enough. It’s a lot of money to lose and you shouldn’t be simply fobbed off. Good luck.
Thank you. I've contacted the ombudsman 3x since then asking for confirmation of receipt of my email and have been told just yesterday that they won't have even come to mine yet judging by the date I sent it... i think I will try axa again what else have I got to lose?! Ha! X
katy341 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 20, 07:24 AM  
Link to this Post
pchivvy
VIP Dibber

pchivvy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by katy341 View Post
Thank you. I've contacted the ombudsman 3x since then asking for confirmation of receipt of my email and have been told just yesterday that they won't have even come to mine yet judging by the date I sent it... i think I will try axa again what else have I got to lose?! Ha! X
Have you actually logged a formal complaint with Axa and received a Final Decision Letter? Its at this point that FOS (ombudsman) generally step in. Plus, you will get an independent review by the complaints team of the decision itself. FOS will not be a quick route to take so always give the insurer time to investigate it first.

2017- Eeyores Escape
2013 and 2014- Hampton Lakes
2012-8 nights AKL, 7 BWV
2011- Disneys Port Orleans Riverside
2004-2010- Various Villas, RPR
2002- All Star Movies, Clearwater
2001- Holiday Inn
2000- All Star Movies
pchivvy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List