VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
On a personal note I went though a few cameras but the best by far is the pro 30 phone but that just my option just a idea have a look though the picture thread there some excellent pictures in there
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 20, 09:58 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

Mine is the A6000.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 20, 10:27 AM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Vanillapod View Post
I’d recommend Fuji cameras. They’re lightweight but with great build quality, excellent performance and also a good selection of lenses. You can of course use most manufacturers lenses with the relevant body adapter meaning there are some excellent secondhand lens options available!
Fuji is where I would be looking first as well.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 20, 10:35 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Depends what they want to do. Probably the best bang for the buck camera (not the best camera, but a fabulous camera and maybe the best you can get for the money) is the Panasonic G9 which is a great stills camera and an amazing video camera (recent firmware gives it 4k 60fps 10 bit)- awesome build quality etc. But its about £1000 with a kit lens. This is what it can do:

I have one and it is awesome, unfortunatly I do not have the abilities of the person who did the video above.

Money no object- I'd buy the new Sony A7Siii which is due out in a few weeks, but 3x the price of the G9.

Edited at 10:37 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 20, 10:37 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Is your budget in the £500 range then based on the model you have identified?

That camera is a 4/3rds 16MP sensor which is at the bottom end of quality at the higher ISO ranges.

Colour processing is also in the Canon range of over brightness so you would need to either do post processing or change the settings to get a natural look to your photo's, unless that is how you like them. Many people do for holiday snaps which is one of the reasons it gets rated for travel, but not other areas of photography.

I would look at the Sony Alpha A6000 or Fuji X-T20 with their APS-C sensors above the Olympus in the same sort of budget.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 20, 01:09 PM  
Link to this Post
OutbackAddict
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
Is your budget in the £500 range then based on the model you have identified?

That camera is a 4/3rds 16MP sensor which is at the bottom end of quality at the higher ISO ranges.

Colour processing is also in the Canon range of over brightness so you would need to either do post processing or change the settings to get a natural look to your photo's, unless that is how you like them. Many people do for holiday snaps which is one of the reasons it gets rated for travel, but not other areas of photography.

I would look at the Sony Alpha A6000 or Fuji X-T20 with their APS-C sensors above the Olympus in the same sort of budget.
Yeah the sensor did bother me a bit, I believe the mark 4 is out in a couple of weeks which has a 20MP sensor but is more expensive and has switched to a plastic body and also the fact the company has been sold is somewhat putting me off

Paul
OutbackAddict is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 20, 01:11 PM  
Link to this Post
OutbackAddict
Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Depends what they want to do. Probably the best bang for the buck camera (not the best camera, but a fabulous camera and maybe the best you can get for the money) is the Panasonic G9 which is a great stills camera and an amazing video camera (recent firmware gives it 4k 60fps 10 bit)- awesome build quality etc. But its about £1000 with a kit lens. This is what it can do:

I have one and it is awesome, unfortunatly I do not have the abilities of the person who did the video above.

Money no object- I'd buy the new Sony A7Siii which is due out in a few weeks, but 3x the price of the G9.
Will check out the Panasonic, a little above budget but on the other hand pointless to spend a little less and buy something that doesn't do the job

Paul
OutbackAddict is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 20, 02:06 PM  
Link to this Post
OutbackAddict
Imagineer

Mobile

Although the g9 is a bit over budget and is perhaps a little bigger/heavier than I was looking for it has led me to the g90 which seems to be an excellent compromise between the g9 and the olympus I was originally looking at.
Any thoughts on this or the company from the picture below as I'm not familiar with them or any other recommendations where to purchase ?

Paul
Old 13 Aug 20, 05:54 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Nice cameras. Essentially same photo image quality as G9, it’s like a stripped down slightly smaller G9.

Main disadvantage to me is it doesn’t have 4k60fps, just 30fps but that won’t bother many. It’s then got some of the G9 features stripped out. Some features are extremely good and high end (burst speeds, 8k photo etc) but it’s the case of if you didn’t know about them and used a camera with them, you wouldn’t notice.

Even full frame cameras costing 3 times the price don’t really beat these cameras for video- an advantage of the four thirds sensor with 4K video.

These cameras are about the best in market on image stabilisation- in body and in lens (if you buy a stabilised lens, kit lens usually is) on the G9 I can basically take handheld shots in almost the dark at low ISO. G9 has six stops of image stabilisation, the G90 has 5 I think. This essentially means the stabilisation on G9 is slightly better, but G90 is still better than 95% of cameras on the market.

Never used the camera shop you mention- have you looked at Amazon? If you buy direct from Amazon for high value stuff like this, Amazon often offer me 6 monthly payments at 0% interest automatically- may be account specific. I think I might as well avail myself of that.
Old 13 Aug 20, 06:00 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

And if you ever buy just one extra lens get this one-

amazon/Panasonic-H...7337827&sr=8-6

I shopped around and got it for £500. Awesome lens, with a constant aperture of 2.8 across the zoom range (expensive to do). I rarely take it off.
As a cheap one the 25mm (equivalent to 50mm full frame) f1.7 is great for about £150.