Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Sep 20, 05:33 PM  
Link to this Post
sam_b
Imagineer

No one ran us anywhere in a car - we went everywhere on the bus - using my clippercard was the height of sophistication. My 14 year old niece has never been anywhere on her own 🙁 ...I had to get two buses back from school. We all knew about flashers and strange men and how to stay safe... it was no big deal. You DID NOT interrupt your parents when they were talking with visitors, and you learned to behave if you got taken to a Bernie Inn for a good meal out - no running around, no ball pits or children’s menus - I had a starter as a main when I was a kid 😀
sam_b is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 20, 05:38 PM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mrs Red C View Post
Did anyone else at junior school have a savings club. I seem to remember queuing up with a TSB Savings book🤔
Yes, ours was Yorkshire Penny Bank, mine was cashed in when I left to go to another school.
Old 19 Sep 20, 06:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Dayle
Imagineer

Green shield saving stamps.
Dayle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 20, 06:57 PM  
Link to this Post
DiszeeBelle
Imagineer

Happy fun times for us. I know weve got all this technology but sometimes it would be nice just to go back to a less hectic and demanding time.
DiszeeBelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 20, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Universal VR
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DiszeeBelle View Post
Happy fun times for us. I know weve got all this technology but sometimes it would be nice just to go back to a less hectic and demanding time.
Do you think it was less hectic and demanding because we were children? I can only be amazed at how much my mum did with five of us and none of the modern conveniences we have now. It’s no surprise she was always frazzled!
Old 19 Sep 20, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post
ShamuLvr
Very Serious Dibber

I remember the Christmas hampers my Mom would order from the milkman, buying stamps every week to pay for it. Was fine until the one milkman did a runner with all the money and we had nothing for Christmas
ShamuLvr is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 20, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post
DiszeeBelle
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Universal VR View Post
Do you think it was less hectic and demanding because we were children? I can only be amazed at how much my mum did with five of us and none of the modern conveniences we have now. It’s no surprise she was always frazzled!
My mam has said it seemed easier back then than now. Maybe because for my family and many of my friends, all mothers if they worked only worked part time whereas many are full time now. I am full time but never stop when i get home, plus when i was my childrens ages (younger) i took myself to my activities wherewas they seem to need a parent to take them. Plus more pressures on the kids now a days which in my opinion is not needed.
DiszeeBelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 20, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Trusty ian
Dibbing with Tink

Mobile

My parents were the first in the village to have colour TV. All the neighbours used to come round to watch it.
I was always out on my bike, even in The dark. I was posh and had lights on my bike. Knew the village police man well, he drove around in a minivan.
Remember I never ate school meals . I just starved all day until I got home.
Trusty ian is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 20, 09:02 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

My Dad grew up with nothing, its only the last few years I have known this and I realised how hard he and my mum worked ( both working full time) to give us two kids what we have and how he watched every penny to make sure he and mum would have a great retirement.
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 20, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Trusty ian
Dibbing with Tink

Mobile

Mum and dad's first house had no furniture for ages except for orange boxes to sit on . Now that's basic.
Trusty ian is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List