Old 21 Oct 19, 04:06 PM  
Link to this Post
pinkrose
Getting Excited

What, no bears? - Canadian Rockies Road Trip Aug/Sept 2019 - Day 1

Index is here

Day 1 - Sunday 25 August 2019

Vancouver – Gastown, Canada Place and Vancouver lookout

We had breakfast in the hotel as this was included in the booking. It was a standard continental buffet of cereals, fruit, yoghurts tea and toast. There were a number of Australians and Brits in. We got talking to a couple who live one road away from my Mum – talk about small world. They were about to board a cruise to Alaska but were heading to the Rockies later in their holiday.

After breakfast we set off out on a tour of the city. We headed up along Hamilton Street towards the Vancouver public library and then followed the road down past Victory Square to Gastown to see the steam clock.

We stopped in a couple of shops for souvenirs then walked further along and took pictures of the Angel of Victory before heading towards Canada Place and the Convention Centre.

It was strange being so close to the coast but then also having the Grouse Mountains in the distance.

We stood watching the sea planes for a while and then turned back and headed for Vancouver Lookout.

We walked past Waterfront Station and then tried to get into the Harbour Centre where the entrance to the Lookout is. However, as it was Sunday, the shops were closed so we had to go back out and round to a different entrance. I had already purchased tickets for the Lookout on their website so we just had to exchange our printed voucher for tickets and then join the queue for the next lift going up. The cost was $37.91 CAD.

The lift travels up the outside of the building which I didn’t mind too much as I stood at the back against the wall for the entire journey up and it’s quite a short ascent. At the top we had 360 degree views and there was a staff member you could follow around who was giving details of the various buildings you could see including BC Place Stadium, The Marine Building, City Hall and Trump Tower.

When we came back down we headed back to Canada Place for lunch in the Waterfront Centre and then wandered along to see the Olympic torch and the "Lego" whale.

We then decided to look for Christ Church Cathedral which we had seen from the Lookout. Unfortunately a friendly local sent us to the Holy Rosary Cathedral instead so we had to back track a little but did eventually find it.

We were starting to tire a little now so walked back to the hotel along Hornby Street which passes by the Art Gallery.

We had tea in Original Joe’s a sports bar attached to the hotel. They had craft lagers and ciders. When I asked the waitress for a recommendation she gave me a sample of the Original Joe’s blonde lager which was very smooth so I ordered a 14oz glass and DH ordered an 180z glass of the Lonetree Apple cider. We both ordered the Butter Chicken bowl which was spicier than the Butter Chicken we have at home but was very tasty. I ordered mine without coriander as I’m not a fan of it. We both initially thought we wouldn’t be able to finish the bowl but eventually did as it was so nice. However, we both then decided to skip dessert. The bill came to $49.84 CAD. After that we only had to nip next door and we were back at our hotel room.

Edited at 04:36 PM.
pinkrose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 19, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
It sounds like you had a lovely day exploring the city.
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 19, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
smedley
Imagineer

Mobile

Lovely day. Was it cheaper/ easier to book the lookout in advance? Currently planning our trip next summer.

Previous trips (mostly villas,) '98,'00,03,04x2,06,07,11 (first onsite stay SSR),12 villa and RCI cruise,14 OKW,15 RCI cruise, Clearwater and Int Drive. 16 West Coast DL, 17
smedley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 19, 12:04 PM  
Link to this Post
pinkrose
Getting Excited

Hi Smedley

I purchased several attraction tickets in advance in order to spread the cost of these over a number of months before the holiday. I purchased the Lookout voucher direct from their website. If I remember correctly you can download the voucher at the time of purchase but they also email you with a link so you can print them off at any time. Their website suggests that buying in advance saves the taxes. The total cost for the two of us was $37.91 CAD.

You take your voucher to the desk and exchange it for the tickets before entering the lift up to the observation deck. You do not have to specify what date you will visit when you buy the voucher and it allows you to access the tower during the day but you can also visit again in the evening of the same day. Hope that helps.
pinkrose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List