Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 6 Aug 19, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post
fizzypop
Imagineer

Thanks all - ba flydrive Avis at Tampa, unexpected extra charges

I just want to say thank you to the people who have posted warnings about Avis additional charges when dropping off the car. We booked a BA flydrive so no extra charges and have just dropped ours at Tampa. Lo and behold there was an extra $124 on our receipt. Thanks to the warnings I knew what I was looking for. I asked about the charge and was told it was for fuel. I pointed out we had returned it full so they checked again and said they couldn’t deal with it there and I had to go to the kiosk. I now have a receipt stating there are no charges but will still keep an eye on my credit card statement.

Keep an eye out everyone when returning your car!

Edited at 09:52 PM.
fizzypop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 19, 09:08 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

That’s great to hear that you were on the ball thanks to the advice on here
I shall do the same check & double check
ClaireNJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 19, 09:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlando_Kings
Very Serious Dibber

Orlando_Kings's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Mobile

Good spot - the continuous warning to all, always check and double check...
Old 8 Aug 19, 06:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Welshjim22
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

$124 for fuel what were you driving a lorry.

Even at $3 a gallon a full size SUV from empty would only be $84.

Collecting from them tomorrow so will be on the look out.
Welshjim22 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 19, 06:44 PM  
Link to this Post
chrisxal
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
I have been caught out twice with Avis/BA flydrive and both times I had my receipt from when I returned the car showing $0.00 balance but the following month when I got my CC bill I noticed the charges. First time was last November £140, it took me nearly 5 months and dozens of emails to get full refund and when we came in May it was £103 again I started emailing and I have just received a full refund. Do not accept it and do not give up, it is very frustrating having to constantly email them and wait 3 weeks for a response telling you that there is no 'mistake' and they have closed the complaint.
chrisxal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 19, 07:56 PM  
Link to this Post
nanu
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Welshjim22 View Post
$124 for fuel what were you driving a lorry.

Even at $3 a gallon a full size SUV from empty would only be $84.

Collecting from them tomorrow so will be on the look out.
Avis charge $10 per gallon if you don't return it full and haven't pre-paid for a tank of fuel.
1988 New York Penta & Orl. Radisson Maingate 1990 Orl. Marriott I-Drive, Premier Cruise & Cocoa Beach Hilton 1997 Orl. La Suites I-Drive 2002 Orl. Port Orleans Riverside 2006 Las Vegas Luxor 2007 Orl. Port Orleans French Quarter 2010 Orl. Windsor Palms villa 2012 Orl. Rolling Hills villa & RPR Universal 2015 Orl. Indian Creek villa & Naples Bay Resort 2017 Orl. Highlands Reserve villa 2018 Barefoot Beach Resort & Orl. Highgate Park villa
nanu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 19, 08:41 PM  
Link to this Post
fizzypop
Imagineer

Funny thing was we only spent $53 on fuel for our whole stay even though we did almost 900 miles. We had a full size car which was a hybrid which kept our fuel costs down.

We have been caught out with them before and in the end our credit card company sorted it out for us so will be checking our statement regularly to see what happens but at least a have a receipt saying $0 this time.
fizzypop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 19, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
GALE88
slightly serious Dibber

Thanks for posting OP. We're with Avis so I'll make sure we check for any charges when we leave.
GALE88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 19, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post
mickee
Apprentice Imagineer

We are with Avis on a BA flydrive next week as well. Glad I spotted this. Thank you x
- 1999 lake buena vista, 2001 lindifields villa, 2010 bridgewater crossing,2013 sandy ridge, 2014 extended stay america, 2015 westridge manors north, 2017 southern dunes villa, 2018 calabay Parc villa.

trip report= https://DIBB.in/12468393
mickee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 19, 11:44 PM  
Link to this Post
valegroovers
slightly serious Dibber

Great post👍
Due to return ours on Tuesday will def check the receipt