Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 28 Feb 20, 10:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
I was not tarring all truckers based on this but on the behaviour I see on the local roads and motorways. Especially the two lane part of the M11 where they overtake each other and cause far more tail backs than any funeral cortege. I'm not saying they are all bad but I don't think the term Gentlemen of the road fits them as a whole any more. Apart from Stobbarts of course. They are never a problem.
Agreed. I live close to one of the busiest motorway junctions in the country and there are a lot of depots close by as well as a truck stop services. See it every day - the van drivers are the worst on the road
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 20, 10:31 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

I was not tarring all truckers based on this but on the behaviour I see on the local roads and motorways. Especially the two lane part of the M11 where they overtake each other and cause far more tail backs than any funeral cortege. I'm not saying they are all bad but I don't think the term Gentlemen of the road fits them as a whole any more. Apart from Stobbarts of course. They are never a problem.
Nice Stobart driving... see video
dailymail/news/art...rriageway.html
😀
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 20, 04:32 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
I have been to a couple in the USA and all the cars put purple flashing lights in the roofs and you go through every light and even at red - all cars have to give way for the whole processions regardless of if you have a green light you must yield
Where was that? I have never seen that in New England or Florida. People turn their headlights on if part of a procession but with all the daylight running lights now it isn't always obvious.
Old 28 Feb 20, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DonnaD View Post
Where was that? I have never seen that in New England or Florida. People turn their headlights on if part of a procession but with all the daylight running lights now it isn't always obvious.
I went to a funeral in DC and LA but seen it all over the US including Florida

Amazon and others even sell them form when you attend a funeral

parkssuperior/accessories/strobe-kits/

Edited at 05:44 PM.
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 20, 05:44 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Just realised I have never seen a funeral in Florida.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 20, 05:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Years ago my sis and I were on our way to our elderly aunts funeral and were wearing black. We needed petrol and as the garage was on the opposite side of the road we pulled up into the right lane at the traffic lights. There was quite a long line in the left hand lane and as we waited we realised we were getting strange looks. Then we noticed we had just overtaken a funeral going to a different crematorium and were actually sat next to the hearse. My sis commented 'at least we're dressed for it' whereupon hysteria set in as we saw the funny side. The frosty looks then were very icy but we were helpless.
It certainly wasn't intentional or trying to be disrespectful but we do still laugh at it.
Lola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 20, 05:49 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Mobile

Just realised I have never seen a funeral in Florida.
You would have thought with all the snow birds there would be funerals all the time but maybe they ship the deceased home ? I remember seeing a cortège in Miami many many years ago and first time I had seen purple lights - maybe I attract grief ... living opposite a cathedral in London funerals (and grand ones are that ) seem far too oft
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 20, 05:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Nicksgirl
Imagineer

I never forget when we were picking up my beautiful dog Molly in a full grown box to take to be cremated, we were in tears, devastated, heartbroken and absolutely in bits, as we left the vets carrying her beautiful body, some bumwipe, pushed past up and opened his car door first, completely selfish and disrespectful. That piece of rotten poo who did this, I hope he rots.
Econolodge Hawaiian Maingate in its Hey Day ! Villa we won on "Big Breakfast". Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress. POFQ/Sheraton Safari.The wonderful Al Qasr - Dubai. 2008 Luxury and Romance in the wonderful Maldives in a Water Bungalow. 2009 Burj Al Arab/Atlantis/Al Maha.Dubai WOWWIEEE! 2010 5nts Disney's Old Key West/Contemporary./7nts Universals Portofino. 2012 Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa,Dubai and Italy. 2014 -Norfolk, Sirmione Italy, Burj Al Arab/Al Qasr, thank you to my wonderful husband.x
Nicksgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Feb 20, 02:11 AM  
Link to this Post
linder
Imagineer

linder's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 5
When we were taking my dad to the crem a guy took his cap off and stood with his head bowed I thought it was very nice of him.
linder is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Feb 20, 03:40 PM  
Link to this Post
CarolynU
Imagineer

CarolynU's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I was walking with my little three year old granddaughter and my daughters little dog through the local crematorium having just laid some flowers on my husbands grave when a funeral procession drove inside the gates slowly and were approaching us.
I shortened the dogs lead, and told my just three year old that there were very sad people inside the cars and so we must be absolutely silent whilst they passed.
Bless her, she stood motionless and silent until I told her that we could carry on chatting and talking.
I didn’t want to explain what was actually happening because I didn’t want to upset her or explain the meaning, but I didn’t have to. She grasped the emotion of the situation and when I told her that we could carry on her bright and joyful little chatter continued and brought a smile to my face.

Edited at 03:41 PM.
CarolynU is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List