Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 May 19, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Loobylou_82
Imagineer

Mobile Just back. Highs and lows.

Just back on Saturday thought I'd have ago and doing some highs and lows. A bit of background information first. The first time DH and I went to Orlando was 30 years ago, this visit was our 8th visit, the first with none of our now adult children or grandchildren . Seemed strange going there by ourselves. We were only doing SeaWorld, Bush Gdns, Aquatica and for the first time Discovery Cove with dolphin swim.
Highs.
We flew out from Manchester , direct with Virgin on 28th April. Parked the car at Jet Parks 1 . Arrived at 8, flight at 11:10, security quiet. Took 10 mins to get through.
ASPIRE LOUNGE. Never been in any of the lounges before but this was free from ebookers. Thought we might have to pay for DH but the man on the reception desk just waved us both through. We enjoyed it in there , nice and relaxing. A selection of hot food, cereals, fruit, yoghurts etc.
VIRGIN FLIGHT. Never flown on such an empty plane before! Captain said there was 140 passengers, 17 cabin attendants and I think I he said 3 flight officers. DH and I were sat in the two's at the back of the plane. There were about 15 people in that back part of the plane. The captain announced that when we had taken off and the seat belt sign had gone off we could sit wherever we liked ! So we asked the steward if we could go upstairs and he said certainly as there was only 5 people up there in the economy section and to take our hand luggage up with us too. Thought other people might have moved up there too, but no. So 7 of us up there. Sat on row 80. It was bliss. The staff just kept coming round with drinks etc all the time, they said it gets boring when hardly any people on. They served the tea/coffee in proper mugs the same as the PE passengers as there was only 7 of us up there. Gave us after dinner drinks in glasses. It was really nice. Felt spoilt. A really good start to holiday. Only took 7hrs 40 mins to get there too. MCO quiet, took about 20 mins to get through.
THE ROSEN SHINGLE CREEK. This hotel was lovely. Really enjoyed. Friendly staff.
DISNEY SPRINGS. Last time we were here 3 yrs ago there was a lot of work going on and now it's all completed. We really liked it here. The food, the shopping and the atmosphere. Visited there 3 times. A definite high for us.
DISCOVRY COVE. We really enjoyed this
The dolphin swim was brilliant. Not rushed, you were in groups of 8 and were with 2 different dolphins for about 40 mins. Would go again even if not doing dolphin swim.
POLITE PIG. Read about this alot on here and it lived up to expectations. For quick serve food this was good. Loved it.
SIESTA KEY. Went here for 5 days , never been here before. The sand is like powder, never seen sand as fine as that before ! Had a lovely, relaxing time there. Met up with an old friend who I haven't seen for 25yrs. Had a fab time.
Enjoyed the 3 parks we did and a couple of new slides at Aquatica since we were last there.
ICON. Not been round this area since it all opened. Liked the atmosphere, very touristy, but then it's Orlando what do you expect. Loved watching the swing thing. You have to have some bottle to go on that. Adrenaline junkie here, but even I baulked at that !
LOWS. Only one low, Budget/Avis car rental. This was dire, really dire. First car they gave us had a smashed in bumper and I think someone had been sick on the back seat as it stunk of disinfectant.Said we didn't want it . Car number. 2 hadn't got full tank of petrol and was thick with dust and popcorn all over back seat
This car had never been valeted for ages. 3rd car seemed ok, was about to drive off when noticed a sticker on windscreen. It said on it,do not rent this car out. So off DH goes back to the desk for our 4th car. We are now really tired and have been messing about for well over an hour. Next car is mucky inside, dusty, filthy seats etc but we just took it. When we dropped it off after holiday asked to speak to the manager. He was a lovely man and was shocked by what had happened. He has emailed since we have arrived home to say a total refund is on it's way to us. It didn't spoil our holiday, but it wasn't nice getting in a mucky car every day. They definitely don't valet the inside of there cars. Hope they get their act together, but even with the full refund will never hire a car with them again.
Flight home was nearly full , 433 on board. No delays, took 7 hrs 40 mins to fly back. These flights seem to be getting shorter and shorter. Sure the first time we went it took over 9 hrs to fly there.
Really enjoyed it all, thanks for all the tips etc I have picked up from you wonderful dibbers and will carry on picking up more I hope. Going back August 2020 with our kids and grandkids. So planning will be commencing again shortly.
Happy dibbing and even happier holidays. Over and out.
Loobylou_82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 19, 11:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Good time had. I agree about Polite Pig, we were surprised at the quality and value here.
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 19, 01:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Labboy
VIP Dibber

Great report thank you for posting, might have to take a look at the polite pig now.
Labboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 19, 02:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
Food at Polite Pig ok but be careful as they ask you to give them your tip in advance when you order and pay at the till. I don’t think that is ok as you don’t know what kind of service you will be getting. A tip for quick service is not the norm either. All they do is bring your meal a few yards from the kitchen. When the girl at the till said “Would you like to add your tip onto that?” as she gave me the bill to sign I just said “not at the moment thanks” and she took my payment with a bit of an eye roll. If I had received good service I may have tipped after my meal but in this case it was no way.
Lola is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 19, 03:15 PM  
Link to this Post
margyloveswdw
Deck 4, Disney Wonder

margyloveswdw's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Sounds like a good trip!

We've rented with Budget/Avis many times before and found them no different to anyone else; maybe we were lucky or you were unlucky! A good gesture though from the manager by refunding though.

That flight time was fab - our flight in January took 9hrs 20 minutes (actually in the air, not from stand to stand!) It was the longest, most tedious flight I've ever had and lots of turbulence!
margyloveswdw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 19, 04:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Loobylou_82
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Lola View Post
Food at Polite Pig ok but be careful as they ask you to give them your tip in advance when you order and pay at the till. I don’t think that is ok as you don’t know what kind of service you will be getting. A tip for quick service is not the norm either. All they do is bring your meal a few yards from the kitchen. When the girl at the till said “Would you like to add your tip onto that?” as she gave me the bill to sign I just said “not at the moment thanks” and she took my payment with a bit of an eye roll. If I had received good service I may have tipped after my meal but in this case it was no way.
Hi Lola, that's terrible. They didn't ask us. Perhaps it was just that cashier. We paid in cash.
Loobylou_82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 19, 04:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Loobylou_82
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by margyloveswdw View Post
Sounds like a good trip!

We've rented with Budget/Avis many times before and found them no different to anyone else; maybe we were lucky or you were unlucky! A good gesture though from the manager by refunding though.

That flight time was fab - our flight in January took 9hrs 20 minutes (actually in the air, not from stand to stand!) It was the longest, most tedious flight I've ever had and lots of turbulence!
Hi Margy, I hope it was a one off. We had Budget last time we went, 3 years ago and no problem. Horrendous this time. But very good of the manager to fully refund us. Was impressed with that if not there cars.
Both flights were under 8 hrs. We had turbulence flying out but still got there early. Hate the flight home when you are tired , 9 hrs 20 mins is a long time it must have been pretty bad turbulence.
Old 20 May 19, 04:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

Your holiday sounds fab glad you had a good time 😊
Minnie18 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 19, 04:39 PM  
Link to this Post
vowels
Imagineer

Glad your trip was great.

May I ask, did you get a Virgin Club room at Rosen Shingle Creek?

I have not read a recent review and am really interested. Thank you
vowels is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 19, 04:47 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

Great report and feedback.

Dont forget when you fly home its quicker due to the ‘jet stream turbo boost’

Disney332