Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Sep 19, 01:33 PM  
Link to this Post
jobelly
Imagineer

Is it too much to ask that schools know when they’re going back next year!

Rang both the primary and the high school and neither know when they are starting back next September. It’s down to be Tuesday 1st September but they normally have 1 or 2 days teacher training so they think it will be the Wednesday or Thursday. Surely they could have this sorted! It can mean a big difference in price!
Old 18 Sep 19, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post
shack69
Imagineer

I agree, schools expect us to have the kids in during term time, so please plan in advance so we can.
shack69 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 02:56 PM  
Link to this Post
jobelly
Imagineer

Mobile

It’s ridiculous. They said if I book now on what they think and if it’s wrong they’ll authorise a day of absence but I don’t want them missing the first day. I don’t want their timetables just the day they’re going back 😡
Old 18 Sep 19, 10:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

My schools are the same so frustrating
Old 18 Sep 19, 10:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

I really don’t think it’s too much to require schools to publish dates (including teacher training days) at least 18 months in advance.
Old 18 Sep 19, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Disneyphile
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I have given up waiting and booked our flight home on 30th august 2020. They probably won’t start back until the Thursday but I don’t want to risk it as it will be my daughters first day of high school. I’m sure that they normally have the TED days for the next years schooling agreed by now?
Disneyphile is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 10:21 PM  
Link to this Post
emmafleur
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

My school where I work know dates for next September (I asked because I want to book my Disney holiday towards the end of August). I’m surprised that your schools are being so reluctant about their dates. Maybe they’re still trying to set their TED days? That’s s pain for you, though, especially if the don’t go back until the 3rd September as flights would be a bit cheaper coming back on the 1st or 2nd. Hope you get an answer soon
emmafleur is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Irishlass
Apprentice Imagineer

Problem is if the schools are waiting for confirmation for certain training from outside sources their hands are tied. They have to wait for confirmation from those providers.

Here where I live and work we've had certain dates blocked off as a training day and a month or 2 beforehand the provider has cancelled, or the school has had to cancel due to unforeseen circumstances.

However if those holidays have changed during term time, if holidays have been booked the school has to honour them.

Thankfully here in N.Ireland its always the 1st monday in September for most primary schools and the last Wednesday onwards in August for midt Secondary and Grammar schools.

Edited at 10:24 PM.
Irishlass is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 10:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Irishlass
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Twin mummy View Post
I really don’t think it’s too much to require schools to publish dates (including teacher training days) at least 18 months in advance.
That really is too much to ask. Courses and training days are not always in schools, or not held by school staff,but lead by outside training.

Holidays arent at the top of a school principal's list. The education and safety of the children are, and ensuring their staff are trained and fully up to date with current guidelines, and latest government requirements.
Irishlass is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 10:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

Originally Posted by Irishlass View Post
Problem is if the schools are waiting for confirmation for certain training from outside sources their hands are tied. They have to wait for confirmation from those providers.

Here where I live and work we've had certain dates blocked off as a training day and a month or 2 beforehand the provider has cancelled, or the school has had to cancel due to unforeseen circumstances.

However if those holidays have changed during term time, if holidays have been booked the school has to honour them.

Thankfully here in N.Ireland its always the 1st monday in September for most primary schools and the last Wednesday onwards in August for midt Secondary and Grammar schools.
It’s very rare for the inset days in September to be used for outside speakers in my experience, it’s usually packed full of preparation. My school has the dates set for the next 2 years, really not that difficult!