Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 14 Feb 20, 10:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Nicksgirl
Imagineer

Mobile phone Samsung to Apple.

I will be soon coming to the end of my contract with Virgin for my Samsung Phone. Usually I am full of praise for Samsung, but this phone has been a nightmare from start to finish. Looking at Apple as they do get great reviews and nearly everyone has one. However, looking at second hand etc... as I do not want to pay a fortune for one.

Where do you look please. Saw a nice Rose Gold one in our local town the other day about £270 ish (used)……. is that the sort of price they go for ?

Where should I look please and what is the "sort of price" I should pay?

I don't want real bells and whistles. Just a phone that works abroad, picture texts etc... nothing fancy.

Thank you. xx
Econolodge Hawaiian Maingate in its Hey Day ! Villa we won on "Big Breakfast". Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress. POFQ/Sheraton Safari.The wonderful Al Qasr - Dubai. 2008 Luxury and Romance in the wonderful Maldives in a Water Bungalow. 2009 Burj Al Arab/Atlantis/Al Maha.Dubai WOWWIEEE! 2010 5nts Disney's Old Key West/Contemporary./7nts Universals Portofino. 2012 Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa,Dubai and Italy. 2014 -Norfolk, Sirmione Italy, Burj Al Arab/Al Qasr, thank you to my wonderful husband.x
Nicksgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 20, 10:58 PM  
Link to this Post
galaxyflorida
Apprentice Imagineer

You don't say what model that rose gold one was, but at that price I'd reckon that would be an iPhone 7, which are over 3 years old now.

I once got a refurbished phone from giffgaff which I didn't have many problems with until right near the end. The phones come unlocked so you don't have to use giffgaff for your data/calls/texts if you don't want to.

My current phone is on iD mobile which is part of the carphone warehouse, they usually have pretty good deals on new phones compared to other networks from what I've seen.

It might also be worth calling up Virgin to see what deals they can offer you.

Orlando I-Drive April 2010, July 2017
New York and Washington October 2016
New York and Toronto July 2019
galaxyflorida is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 20, 02:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Leggibone
Imagineer

I would look for a refurb from one of the phone shops - o2 and mobiles.co.uk have them on their website. The oldest id buy now would be a 7 or 8 as apple just dropped software updates for the 6 recently so the 7 will maintain them a couple years yet. I don’t know if you’ve looked into it but the 7s were coming up less then £20 a month on contract not long back so worth checking. Ima little wary of the little shops in towns, cause you don’t know if they’ve been acquired through dodgy means.
2014 - Rosen Inn International, Hard Rock Hotel, Yacht club and Bay Lake Tower! Mr Bears Grand Adventure, 2015- A sneaky to DLP- Sequoia Lodge, 2016- Another WDW trip... BLT, AKL, HRH and Rosen Inn - Mr Bear takes Boris to WDW, 2022 - Taking the small fry…. Coronado spring addition, 2024 - Riding solo?
Leggibone is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 20, 06:30 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

I wouldn't buy a 2 year old secondhand phone of any make. Refurbished maybe, but batteries in mobiles do not last with the way most people charge them incorrectly. So as a minimum, make sure it has a new battery in it.

Samsung phones have not been great quality for years and the premium ones are hugely over priced.

Have you thought about some of the premium spec Android phones without the price like OnePlus?
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 20, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
SimonB
Imagineer

Mobile

Rumour is that in March an iPhone 9 is going to be launched. Will have the guts of the 11 and chassis of the 8 and price will be budget (for Apple anyway). May be worth waiting a few weeks.
SimonB is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 20, 11:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

I wouldn’t say everyone gas got an iPhone, perhaps 50%.
It depends what you want out of a phone.
If you want one that locks down everything so you can’t make any changes, but let’s you make axles, then go for the iPhone.
If you want a phone where you can customise it and takes a slight amount of intelligence, but is worthwhile in Tge long run, go for an Android.
I gave gad android phones for many years, had an iPhone as a work phone and ut was terrible.
I gave just ordered a Samsung S20 ultra for change of my s9+ next month
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List