Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 28 Mar 20, 07:32 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Thorpy View Post
Why is that? It's clearly not the agencies fault that people can't travel.
Because that is who your contract is with. They cant supply you with the service you paid for. It is then up to the agent to try and claim anything they can from whomever their contracts are with down the line (airlines, accommodation, car hire, tickets etc.)
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 20, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
steve30
Very Serious Dibber

Can anyone shed light on how far in advance you can cancel your holiday according to FCO advice and be able to claim on travel insurance...

We are DIYing it, but have a Disney hotel and ticket package where the balance is due 60 days before travel.

If we don’t pay the balance and then the FCO advice changes to it being good to go I’m not sure where we stand with our flights and other expenses?

EDIT: Our insurance policy says we can’t cancel due to FCO advice unless it’s within 28 days of our departure date. Clear as mud - looks like we’d have to pay the balance

Edited at 09:09 PM.
steve30 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 20, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Bradz
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by chelsea1 View Post
This is advice from my travel insurance company as to whether I should pay the balances when they become due.

I am due to pay the balance on my holiday shortly. My trip destination is currently an area where the FCO are advising against all but essential travel.
Will I be covered if I pay the balance and then I am unable to travel due to FCO advice in the future?

No. You will need to approach your booking agent to discuss your options.
If you purchased a policy prior to 17th March your policy will only provide cover for cancellation costs as detailed in your policy wording up to the date the FCO advice changed and not costs you have committed to beyond that date.
Thanks Chelsea. That’s good to know 👍🏻
Bradz is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Mar 20, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
Because it is up to them to supply what you have paid for. If they can’t do this then they need to return your money.

It’s not the airlines fault either but they have to refund too!
OK, so going back to the picture I painted earlier, imagine we have somebody with a balance due at a time when the FCO is still advising not to travel. As I am paying that balance post FCO advice, we are left with no insurance cover on substantial chunk of the holiday cost according to the above.

I am therefore left hoping that either the restrictions are lifted in time for me to travel or the travel company doesn't go into liquidation and can refund me when the cancellations occur. This of course assumes a cancellation happens. If the flight is still on but UK nationals are still banned the travel agency will of course suggest it's not their fault I can't go, and refuse refund on those grounds it's my problem not theirs, and my insurance now only covers my deposit, as they are saying I knew I wouldn't go so wont cover the balance.

If I choose not to pay the balance, because it increases my risk of substantial losses, then the travel company can have me for breaching my side of that contract and I lose out on anything I've paid so far, irrespective of whether the FCO advice changes.

So having insured my holiday to make sure that if I don't go, I don't lose out. I am left wondering how the only scenario whereby I don't lose out is one where the holiday goes ahead !
Old 4 Apr 20, 07:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

Anybody got any answers to this ?
I see we have a triangular game of pass the parcel between providers, credit card companies and insurance. Most of which seem to be pointing people towards the other 2 !
Old 4 Apr 20, 08:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Noodle500
Imagineer

Originally Posted by steve30 View Post
Can anyone shed light on how far in advance you can cancel your holiday according to FCO advice and be able to claim on travel insurance...

We are DIYing it, but have a Disney hotel and ticket package where the balance is due 60 days before travel.

If we don’t pay the balance and then the FCO advice changes to it being good to go I’m not sure where we stand with our flights and other expenses?

EDIT: Our insurance policy says we can’t cancel due to FCO advice unless it’s within 28 days of our departure date. Clear as mud - looks like we’d have to pay the balance
We're DIY too. Paid out for flights (Inc internal flight) and other accommodation but our main cost is our Disney stay. We've booked direct with them and if you read their terms and conditions you can cancel 8 days in advance and receive monies back minus deposit.
So we've already paid in full for a lot and Disney seems to have a decent refund policy and depending on what happens in June we will probably pay balance to Disney. At 8 days out you will probably have a very good idea if you going or not. You could cancel Disney and get monies back but the rest was paid before 18th March so you would be covered.
To me having medical insurance is most important.
Noodle500 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Apr 20, 09:07 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Gipsy 4 View Post
Our balance is due in May so at least we have some time for things to become clearer (hopefully!)
What about seat reservation fees and what happens with Disney after hours tickets and MNSSHP? Will the insurance company reimburse that too? It’s all these extras you have paid for separately.
Perhaps the credit card would accept a claim ?
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Apr 20, 11:38 AM  
Link to this Post
eaglesrest
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Thorpy View Post
OK, so going back to the picture I painted earlier, imagine we have somebody with a balance due at a time when the FCO is still advising not to travel. As I am paying that balance post FCO advice, we are left with no insurance cover on substantial chunk of the holiday cost according to the above.

I am therefore left hoping that either the restrictions are lifted in time for me to travel or the travel company doesn't go into liquidation and can refund me when the cancellations occur. This of course assumes a cancellation happens. If the flight is still on but UK nationals are still banned the travel agency will of course suggest it's not their fault I can't go, and refuse refund on those grounds it's my problem not theirs, and my insurance now only covers my deposit, as they are saying I knew I wouldn't go so wont cover the balance.

If I choose not to pay the balance, because it increases my risk of substantial losses, then the travel company can have me for breaching my side of that contract and I lose out on anything I've paid so far, irrespective of whether the FCO advice changes.

So having insured my holiday to make sure that if I don't go, I don't lose out. I am left wondering how the only scenario whereby I don't lose out is one where the holiday goes ahead !
I'll give my view, and that's all it is.

If the holiday is still on i.e. flights not cancelled then you should pay the balance on the basis that you are still travelling.

If the holiday does not go ahead because the flight is cancelled, then the travel company should refund you. If they refuse or make it difficult then you could try the CC company. Ultimately, the CC should side with you and refund the money if you are in the right as per Section 75 cover or Chargeback.

In the event that the travel agent folds, then ATOL should refund you.

If there is any left-over expenses not covered in the scenarios above, then travel insurance 'could' cover you if the FCO is still advising against travel to your destination for the period of travel, and you bought before the pandemic was known by your insurer.

Your travel insurance will still provide some medical cover, personal liability, emergency assistance/repatriation (!?), baggage cover, delay cover and limited cancellation (delays to the airport, pre-travel illness, bereavement etc).

There are 'cancel for any reason' policies but these are usually top tier with higher premiums and most people don't buy them as they are generally overkill. Except now perhaps.

Just my 2 cents, and that's the logic I'm applying for our August holiday if it doesn't go ahead. I don't expect to have to claim on the travel insurance at all, and look on it as a last resort in this specific cancellation scenario.
eaglesrest is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List