Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 30 Mar 20, 04:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Stella_11
Excited about Disney

Planning Thailand

Hi all. We are planning Thailand for the beginning of next year. We are not booking flights yet until things are waaay more settled. It is so good to have something to look forward to and plan and even if this trip never goes ahead I am enjoying the research and planning element.

The plan so far, and it is very flexible and fluid goes something like this...

Flights Manchester to Bangkok.

Bangkok 4 nights. Can anyone advise on any hotels or areas to stay in? I would like to take an evening Tuk Tuk tour, possibly a dinner cruise and definitely a trip to the floating markets and the Maeklong Train Market. TripAdvisor is full of tours but do any of you have any personal recommendations? Is there anything else you think we should see in Bangkok?

Chiang Mai 6 nights, although one of those we are hoping to overnight at Elephant Nature Park. Has anyone stayed here? It seems fairly ethical (as any animals in captivity, I suppose) I am not interested in riding an elephant. We are thinking of staying in the old town in Chiang Mai? Is that a good idea? What else would you recommend?

Phuket or Koh Samui for 5 nights. No idea which area to go to. We don't particularly mind touristy. Which is favourable? We like to snorkel a bit.

An Island. 5 nights. I would like to stay in a beach hut or beach side villa. We have no idea and are very much open to suggestions. somewhere gorgeous and relaxing, with beach bars.

Thanks so much if anyone is able to give us any pointers. We like to eat, sight-see, take great Instagram shots, we love a good roof-top bar and we like to people watch. We also love sport of all types and I am a sucker for a great view and a sunrise or sunset. Any recommendations based on that lot are most welcome.
Stella_11 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 20, 05:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Willeve
Imagineer

We went to Thailand last August, loved it. We had 3 nights in Bangkok(enough for us) and stayed at the Rembrandt hotel. This was a super hotel, lovely pool on the 4th floor, but outdoors. 5 min walk to the train station from where you could visit anything you might like to see in Bangkok, the train was quite cheap and a very effective way to get around. We did a tour to the floating markets with a company called ‘With Locals’- that was brilliant! Our guide was amazing, a local called Tuangtip. She took photos with her own phone the whole time we were with her and whatsapped them all to me after the tour. I would highly recommend this type of tour in Bangkok(this company were recommended to me by someone who had been previously). If you plan to go to the Grand Palace, follow the advice to go early. I thought 11am was early, I was very wrong! Get there for opening to avoid too many crowds. Around the Rembrandt there were plenty of places to eat and drink, a good choice for us.
Willeve is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 20, 12:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Stella_11
Excited about Disney

Thanks so much for the hotel recommendation. I have looked and it is within budget and looks very nice. We are very early risers so thanks for the tip re. the grand palace. I will have a look at the tour company you have mentioned. Thanks again.
Stella_11 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 20, 01:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Hi Stella,

I went to Bangkok in 2018 and loved it. My trip report is in my signature. Have a read and come back with any questions!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 20, 01:19 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

we went to samui last August

some people (on here) seemed to think it was touristy but imo it was what i expected yes there are hotels/bars etc etc but not overly so..

we stayed in mae nam away from the bigger more party resorts.. ideal for us we had our 14 year old daughter with us, we stayed as sami buri resort

loads to do we visited samui elephant sanctuary, bohput fishermans village*, the big buddha, various night markets and took a boat trip to koh toa/ koh nangyuan for snorkelling...

* as well as a market/food stalls also has cool bars along the beach etc ideal for chilling/pics
novocastrian is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 20, 02:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Willeve
Imagineer

Mobile

We booked our whole trip with Travelbag, really helpful, included all transfers(Bangkok/Phuket/Hong Kong). Highly recommend them(normally do DIY, as I was going further afield and into the unknown(!) I used a TA).
Willeve is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 20, 03:19 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

fwiw we used Trailfinders, went in with a rough plan HK-Samui-Singapore & they sorted various options/budgets and we went with what suited. All flights, hotels & transfers all sorted

all worked perfect no hassle anywhere

booked various trips locally/before we went online
novocastrian is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 20, 06:40 PM  
Link to this Post
hideinpockets
Apprentice Imagineer

hideinpockets's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

I love Thailand! We actually did a similar trip in 2018. I’d book everything yourself, you’ll get a better deal that way.

We stayed overnight at the Elephant Nature Park and it was the best thing we’ve ever done. The owner Lek is hugely passionate about helping animals across Thailand. You can’t ride the elephants or bathe with them, you literally just observe them go about their business and it’s just amazing. Staying overnight you get a more 1:1 experience than just a day trip and I’d really recommend it, just make sure you prebook.

The old town within Chiang Mai is a must! We stayed in an Air BnB but there are some lovely hotels. The Sunday walking market is great and definitely Worth visiting. The night market (outside the old town) is also great. There are a lot of food bazaar’s which are great to get cheap food, you buy tokens then can buy food from any of the stalls.

Bangkok is great, we usually stay in Sukhumvit as it’s good for transport links (skytrain / metro) but you can get taxi’s / Tuk Tuk’s too. We’ve stayed at Tints of Blue a few times and it’s a super cute boutique hotel with breakfast and it’s just lovely (but cheap) it’s worth a look!

We went to Koh Samui. I like it and it’s a lovely island BUT it’s visited by a lot of tourists so because of that I would say it’s less authentic Thailand in the sense that it is not as cheap as CM or Bangkok, it’s still lovely but just beware that eating out is more expensive. We stayed at the Peace Resort and it was lovely. One Koh Samui tip, if you want to fly there then book with Bangkok Airways. They own the airport on the island so are the only airline to fly onto the island. You can book with other airlines but they will fly to the mainland and you have to get a boat over. Something to bear in mind.

When we booked we had return flights London - Bangkok then booked our own internal flights. Air Asia from Bangkok to CM (Air Asia is a great budget airline) then Bangkok Airlines to Koh Samui and back to Bangkok.

We have previously done the night train up to Chiang Mai which is a great experience if you wanted to do something different (it’s about 15 hours but you so obviously sleep for a lot of it).

Have fun planning!
hideinpockets is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 20, 10:20 PM  
Link to this Post
myvot
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I would recommend Pathumwan Princess in bangkok. Close to all shopping and BST Station. Also Mercure Siam in Bangkok. It's in the same area and right at MBK Centre and National Stadium BST is at the front door.
myvot is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List