Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 30 Mar 20, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
rambocat1974
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Inky View Post
Think Trump has now realised Easter is unrealistic now for the US to have beaten the virus x
We have friends that live in NY state and she told me that yesterday Trump has extended the social distancing guidelines until 30th April.

I spoke to the lady who I have our villa booked through and all I can say, is she is amazing! We booked through Home Away, so we can cancel upto 30th May for a full refund, but she has thrown the cancellation policy out of the window and said we can leave it until 2 weeks before and still get a full refund. within 2 weeks, we can still change our minds and move the deposit to alternate dates.

Here's hoping that everyones owners have been as amazing and understanding as ours!
rambocat1974 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 20, 08:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

It's like a police case, lots of people are being killed, and while the police get a grip on what the hell is happening, nobody is allowed to leave the room as we're all suspects.

Once you start being able to eliminate those that are clear, they can go back to normal life, and those that are infected can be isolated and dealt with. We will then start to get on top of the matter. A rapid test and universal testing is what is required, as that allows us to start focusing action on those that are spreading. It also allows a better prediction of demand for hospital resources.
Old 31 Mar 20, 01:54 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyPete
Very Serious Dibber

We are due to go end of July but are bracing ourselves for not going. I work in the NHS as a doctor and can tell you right now that this is just starting here, the US is 2-3 weeks behind us and we may well require a strategy or lockdown interspersed with some loosening of this intermittently. Any vaccine will not be here until this time next year.
We paid for flights fully on Amex ( a card we have since cancelled so not sure how this will work! ), we have paid a deposit like many people with Disney and I suspect the balance is due in May sometime. My travel insurance covers cancellation but currently have advised to pay any balances due unless specific FCO advice not to fly. They will then cover the cost if the FCO advice changes closer to the travel date.
My concern is that if by July there is no FCO advice not to fly then we may have to consider going as it would be deemed safe by our country to travel ( I hope our Government will continue to be sensible around this and ensure no British lives are put at risk). If we do end up going I suspect it will not be the holiday we had planned and am not even sure how much of Disney /Universal will be open and in what state/form etc.
My gut feeling is that this whole COVID 19 situation will be with us the at least the next 6-8 months and the lockdown will be here for at least 2-3 months so the chances of any trips to the US going through all the way up until September/ October are slim.
Could have done with a break from all the mayhem myself but I'd rather keep myself and my family away from any avoidable risk.
DisneyPete is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 20, 02:17 PM  
Link to this Post
eaglesrest
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by DisneyPete View Post
We paid for flights fully on Amex ( a card we have since cancelled so not sure how this will work! )
Section 75 credit card protection still applies to closed credit card accounts.
eaglesrest is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 20, 02:35 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by eaglesrest View Post
Section 75 credit card protection still applies to closed credit card accounts.
Normal Amex is not a credit card but a charge card so doesn't have Section 75 protection. However, I have been told on another thread that they do look after their customers well and may well be OK anyway.
They may do some credit cards as well - but the poster would need to check which it is.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 20, 02:43 PM  
Link to this Post
eaglesrest
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
Normal Amex is not a credit card but a charge card so doesn't have Section 75 protection. However, I have been told on another thread that they do look after their customers well and may well be OK anyway.
They may do some credit cards as well - but the poster would need to check which it is.
Good point on S75 if it is an Amex charge card, but should be covered under Amex chargeback scheme.

Edit: Contacted Amex who confirmed that they would dispute a charge in the event of administration, even if the Amex charge card had been closed. Advice was to contact them ASAP from when the provider ceases trading, but I guess that is just to ensure it falls within the published 120 days.

Edited at 03:21 PM.
eaglesrest is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 20, 04:03 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyPete
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by eaglesrest View Post
Good point on S75 if it is an Amex charge card, but should be covered under Amex chargeback scheme.

Edit: Contacted Amex who confirmed that they would dispute a charge in the event of administration, even if the Amex charge card had been closed. Advice was to contact them ASAP from when the provider ceases trading, but I guess that is just to ensure it falls within the published 120 days.
Thank you so much for checking on that -extremely helpful
DisneyPete is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 20, 04:29 PM  
Link to this Post
eggsRspecial
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

We have package with Virgin Holidays for 29th July and the full balance is due in May. Our Nationwide insurance was active before the virus outbreak. At the moment a recent email from Virgin states that our holiday is still going ahead but I seriously doubt it going off how things are progressing all over the world.

One query I have though is we paid to upgrade to the bubble for the outbound trip direct with Virgin Atlantic. If the travel ban is extended would be get the upgrade cost back?
eggsRspecial is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 20, 06:11 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

I'm still hopeful - you always have to have hope. We don't go until 7 September and fly in and out of Vancouver. Canada currently have 14 days isolation when flying into the country. There are definitely far less cases than in USA and they've taken it much more seriously.

If allowed, I'd be quite prepared to amend our holiday so that we stay in Canada and don't cross the border. Time will tell. Fingers crossed.

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 20, 07:01 PM  
Link to this Post
TractorBoy
Imagineer

TractorBoy's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Being reported that Dr Fauci, Trump's chief medical advisor has been talking and is quoted that there is a good chance the U S will face another wave of coronavirus later in the year.

Appreciate its ifs and maybes but despite really wanting the two road trips we have organised I will not put both us in any sort of danger

Any doubt we won't go

Not scaremongering just reporting what the latest news is.