Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 20 Mar 20, 08:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Jagnew
Gone all Goofy

Holiday payment due soon...help

Our final payment is due to Charter Travel in a few weeks for our holiday to Florida in July. £5000+ is due and I’m not sure what to do. Do I cancel now or make the payment? I didn’t pay the deposit with credit card and they won’t accept credit card for the remainder. I have insurance but they won’t comment until the last 28 days before we fly. I’m panicking if I pay the remainder I might loose a lot of money if things go bad. Thanks.

Edited at 08:42 PM. Reason: Typo
Jagnew is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 20, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Mobile

I thought you were covered as they are ABTA
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 20, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
galaxyflorida
Apprentice Imagineer

I might be wrong but I think ABTA only covers if the travel firm goes bust. Why won't they accept credit card?

Let's consider a few scenarios:

If the travel restriction has been lifted by then, would you still go? If yes, then pay. If not, your travel insurance won't cover you so check what Charter are doing in terms of amendments and refunds.

Orlando I-Drive April 2010, July 2017
New York and Washington October 2016
New York and Toronto July 2019
galaxyflorida is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 20, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Jagnew
Gone all Goofy

ABTA only if they go bust. Spoke with Charter and they won’t tell me anything, they say same as insurance that they won’t/can’t do anything until 28 days from start of holiday. Charter has had a policy in place for the last few years of no final payment by credit card.
We will happily go in July if flights are running, it’s just the uncertainty of will we get our money back if still in lockdown and we can’t fly
Jagnew is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 20, 09:08 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Jagnew View Post
ABTA only if they go bust. Spoke with Charter and they won’t tell me anything, they say same as insurance that they won’t/can’t do anything until 28 days from start of holiday. Charter has had a policy in place for the last few years of no final payment by credit card.
We will happily go in July if flights are running, it’s just the uncertainty of will we get our money back if still in lockdown and we can’t fly
How much do you stand to lose if you dont pay the balance. BA holidays are allowing late payment of balances sometimes up to two to three weeks before the holiday. Virgin are being very stubborn and insisting on balance or lose deposit.

The way people are treated by these companies now will have an effect when things get back to normal.

Try and talk with Charter to see what your options are.
munmun is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 20, 09:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Jagnew
Gone all Goofy

I probably stand to lose £1200 if I cancel, I will also lose villa deposit. We are flying Virgin so I would think Charter will be stuck between a rock and a hard place if Virgin are standing firm. I have a couple of weeks to decide and wait and see where this is all going.
Old 20 Mar 20, 09:22 PM  
Link to this Post
LOU LOU DISNEY
VIP Dibber

I probably stand to lose £1200 if I cancel, I will also lose villa deposit. We are flying Virgin so I would think Charter will be stuck between a rock and a hard place if Virgin are standing firm. I have a couple of weeks to decide and wait and see where this is all going.
My flights are due to be paid in 2 weeks. I owe £2000 to our TA virgin flights too. Then in May I owe the Disney part direct to Disney. No idea what to do either 😭
LOU LOU DISNEY is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 20, 09:48 PM  
Link to this Post
sully301
Imagineer

so really if you have a balance due you're screwed at the moment. If you cancel you'll lose the deposit but if you pay and then can't travel you'll lose even more money.
Feb 2003 AKL, April 2003 Villa, June 2003 ASMu Nov 2003 OKW, Dec 2003 CSR & PVR, Aug 2007 Pop Century, Aug 2011 RPR & OKW, Dec 2012 POFQ & BLT. Aug 2015 Disney Magic, Sep 2016 ASsports, Sep 2019 OKW, March 2020, Holiday Inn Celebration. 2021 CSR, Sep 22 Pop Century, BLT & AKL. Feb23 Dockside US. Aug 23 Disney Dream, Jan 24 ASSp Sep 2024 ASSp
sully301 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Mar 20, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post
prugone
Very Serious Dibber

I should have flown out on Thursday but now busy trying to retrieve as much as possible. Really don't envy you guys with balances to be paid over the coming months but one word of caution. Even if your travel cover includes cover for cancellation on Foreign Office advice (my Boots policy didn't! ) you may not be covered if you pay further monies after the advice has been made public.
prugone is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 20, 11:55 AM  
Link to this Post

Our final payment is due to Charter Travel in a few weeks for our holiday to Florida in July. £5000+ is due and I’m not sure what to do. Do I cancel now or make the payment? I didn’t pay the deposit with credit card and they won’t accept credit card for the remainder. I have insurance but they won’t comment until the last 28 days before we fly. I’m panicking if I pay the remainder I might loose a lot of money if things go bad. Thanks.
Out of interest, why can’t you pay your balance on credit card?

It is certainly a dilemma but I know what I would do if I had a £5000 balance due in a few weeks. I’d not pay it. Even if it meant there was then no way to recover the deposit, I would rather lose that than later find myself trying to recover five times the amount.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List