Notices

View Poll Results: How much extra will you pay to go to Florida?
I won't pay any more 76 39.79%
I will pay up to 10% more 51 26.70%
I will pay up to 20% more 29 15.18%
I will pays up to 30% more 4 2.09%
I will pay up to 50% more 1 0.52%
I will pay any amount more if I can afford it 30 15.71%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30 Mar 20, 11:23 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
If we look back to the last US/UK recession in 2008/9 I can see Disney and Universal ticket prices went up very slightly. I remember villa prices halved - maybe a good time to buy if you have the cash available!
What happens to the property markets both here and for holiday properties abroad including Florida is going to be ... interesting.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 20, 11:25 AM  
Link to this Post
sunseeker
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
If we look back to the last US/UK recession in 2008/9 I can see Disney and Universal ticket prices went up very slightly. I remember villa prices halved - maybe a good time to buy if you have the cash available!
But it was a different story after 911, parks were empty and Disney were offering some big discounts, especially on accommodation. That was only a small crisis compared to this. I would be very surprised if Disney don't do the same again.

Dave
sunseeker is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 20, 11:26 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
The problem we all have is we have become very used to cheap airfares.
Cost per mile I think I am right in saying that flying is the cheapest form of transport.

Am I the oldest on here to fly to America regularly for holidays?

My first flight was to NY in 1976 and I paid over £360 for a return Econ ticket with BA. That was cheap as well as they had only just introduced ABC fares (Advance Booking Charter) so circa 10% of the plane was holiday makers not business people.
We flew Laker £32 one way, the days of the skytrain.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 20, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Ahhh Laker and People’s Express , those were the days !
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 20, 11:44 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Not a penny more. I am already going elsewhere because the cost is already too high, yet alone at tipping point.

The 2019 prices drove us to the East Coast last year, with just the 10 in Orlando (DC Ultimates and Universals). We had an awesome time whilst saving money(ish). Highlights of South Florida area were the Rainbow River, Lazy H Horseriding ranch, Delnor Wiggins at Naples and Buffalo Tigers airboats on the Everglades causeway (not a park in our top 4). We are probably and fortunately in the position where we are ‘Themeparked out’. Fortunate because we did much of it before it became borderline unaffordable.

2018 Was California, again comparatively a budget holiday.

2020 California (Cancelled and now rebooked for August along with Arizona).

The cost of directs to Orlando in School Hols are the most expensive direct US flights on the market. This led us to explore elsewhere as a layover/explore option. We now all agree that the ‘elsewhere’ is now the highlight of the vacation, rather than the Florida bit.

I am now up to 21 US States visited and within the next 5 years hope to make it 49 or close to, West from San Diego to N Orleans, New England then across to Detroit and Chicago, Route 66, Hawaii.

There is so much more to the USA than a 60 year old mouse with big ears who apparently says ‘toodles’. In my last 5 Orlando visits, I have not darkened the doors of the mouse and we don’t miss him whilst saving £1600 a time in tickets plus sub standard, overpriced food. There are plenty of great theme parks elsewhere if that floats your boat and much better value, Warner Bros, Universal Cali, Knotts Berry, 6 Flags etc etc, whilst giving you the opportunity to see other cultural attractions and historic areas at the same time.

If the USA as a whole reaches price tipping point, then fortunately for us, the kids are growing up and we can look to Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand etc. The flights will still be cheaper than the Orlando run.

An extra vote option in the poll should have been ‘tipping point has already been reached and passed by a good margin’. That is the one I would have selected.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 12:12 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 20, 11:46 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sunseeker View Post
But it was a different story after 911, parks were empty and Disney were offering some big discounts, especially on accommodation. That was only a small crisis compared to this. I would be very surprised if Disney don't do the same again.

Dave
911 people were scared to travel/fly, especially Americans who had never experienced “home turf” terrorism before.
This time once people can travel again there will be an explosion of people taking extended family holidays together to make up for time apart and frontline staff who will need a darn good holiday .
If you lived even a day or two’s drive from Disney wouldn’t you want to celebrate lockdown ending by throwing the kids in the car and heading for the Mouse... even more so if you already have APs.
Disney may not even need overseas traffic as the domestic demand will be huge.
Old 30 Mar 20, 12:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Already 3 million unemployed in one week in America - I would have thought this would dampen the appetite to go on a spending spree once this is over unless they all secure a new job on day one
Moorlandman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 20, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
If the USA as a whole reaches price tipping point, then fortunately for us, the kids are growing up and we can look to Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand etc. The flights will still be cheaper than the Orlando run.
We go to the Far East for our main holiday at least every other year, have had amazing experiences out there usually at a fraction of the cost of a Florida trip.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 20, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Well I'm 74 and Joan just a bit behind ( sorry dear) and are not typical Dibbers any more. Not visited a park since 2010 but have visited Florida about 17 times since then. Our park days are over I think but we still find stuff to do in the other 65,700 square miles of Florida.

Next month would have been our 37th time (would have been 41st had not cancer got in the way four times ) but I am awaiting the formal cancellation from VS.

Along with dozens of other Dibbers we have to find £850+ for our travel insurance but we still plan to go as often as the 9 hour journey stays acceptable. Hate to think what June's insurance renewal will be.

But as they say "there's no pockets in a shroud"

In the summer of 2007 our dollars cost us 51p each. In October 2019 they cost us 83p each so a fair increase in real cost to us without taking normal inflation into account.

I guess we'll continue to try and find the money

Mick
Old 30 Mar 20, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by munmun View Post
We flew Laker £32 one way, the days of the skytrain.
My grandfather was a lakers pilot. Never got over what happened to the company.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List