Go Back   theDIBB > DIBB Community > DIBBing > General Chat
Forgotten Password?
Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.
Unread 4 Dec 19, 08:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Clairelovestate
Very Serious Dibber

I was with a company when I left college for 10 years. The only pay rise I got was after my 3 months probationary period. I was made redundant after 10 years though and went to a different company in which pay rises were given on how you performed. Lucky I was really good at my job and within 5 years added over 3p/h, doesnt sound much but it was good for retail 😂

Its difficult with a small company. I do go by your dont ask you, dont get but just be prepared to for them to say no.

Edited at 08:10 PM.
Clairelovestate is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Disneyland Paris!
Unread 4 Dec 19, 08:19 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
I dont disagree.
But big corporates are of the view - if you dont like it, go somewhere else. Zero loyalty.
^ this

i work in IT and this year i got a 2% rise only 60% of my colleagues got a rise as there wasnt a budget for a rise for everyone

this is despite being constantly bombarded with emails on how great we are doing as a corporation, xx consecutive qtr of record growth etc etc

but if you speak up/ask you will be told if you think you can earn more elsewhere you a free to leave...
novocastrian is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Dec 19, 09:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisbon
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Of course people should get a pay rise every year and they shouldn't have to ask , unless a company makes a loss it must be doing quite well especially if it is still in business after ten years
If people do not get a pay rise and inflation just continues eventually you will be working for a worthless amount.
It annoys me when you see really successful people in the papers on their large private boats and are worth hundreds of millions of pounds but do not pay their staff more that the minimum wage
Rob

POOL - HOT TUB - GAMES ROOM
FREE WI-FI -CABLE TV
GATED COMMUNITY WITH FACILITIES
AND LOTS MORE /COLOR]

Please visit www.thehavenvilla-florida.co.uk
for complete details and lots of photos
Lisbon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Dec 19, 02:32 PM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post
^ this

i work in IT and this year i got a 2% rise only 60% of my colleagues got a rise as there wasnt a budget for a rise for everyone

this is despite being constantly bombarded with emails on how great we are doing as a corporation, xx consecutive qtr of record growth etc etc

but if you speak up/ask you will be told if you think you can earn more elsewhere you a free to leave...
Similar here (also IT). My last job used to give decent rises and bonuses. Then for 3 years they stopped bonuses, and only did 1.5% or so - a lot less than inflation. I endured it for that time and then left to earn more elsewhere.

OP - that many years is totally unacceptable. That is a huge paycut in real terms, really. If you were on 25k ten years ago, that should be 32k now. If they will not give you one, then it's time to move on. And if you leave and they then turn around and offer more for you to stay (which has happened to me everytime I've left a job), do not say yes! It's because it suits them for you to stay and is easier and cheaper than finding a replacement.

I have learned over my working life that companies have ZERO loyalty to their staff, so in return I will no longer give them mine either.
neilhd is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
HRH and AKL 2020
Unread 5 Dec 19, 02:50 PM  
Link to this Post
sparklegirl
VIP Dibber

Yup been public sector for 25 years and most of them with small 1% pay rise at most. My biggest jumps were promotion and moving to shift work/on call. None of my actual payrise resulted in more money due to increase pension/NI or tax.

I generally just expect 1% and because i love the variety of what I get to do I stick with it. I am not poorly paid and I believe what I get reflects reasonably my role now. Will never turn down a rise mind you!
sparklegirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
first of three...
Unread 5 Dec 19, 03:12 PM  
Link to this Post
TrevJones
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I work in the public sector and for the last 6 or so years we've had a pay cut. They give us 4 days unpaid leave i.e. they take for days pay off us each year.

Pay rise ... now what is that again?
Unread 5 Dec 19, 03:16 PM  
Link to this Post
rasmus
Imagineer

rasmus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
I've been on 5 an hour since I moved to corfu nearly 20 years ago, it's considered a good wage.
I know of a business who pay 3 in the winter
January 2019-Cabana bay/Homewood suites
rasmus is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Dec 19, 04:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

Mobile

What's a pay rise!
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Third solo trip - POFQ and Polynesian!