Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 8 Dec 19, 06:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

“They’ve been aggressively raising pricing because they’re looking at themselves as a premium price, a premium brand,” said Scott Sanders, vice president of pricing for Disney’s parks and resorts between 2004 and 2009.

(Washington Post
washingtonpost/news/...-class-behind/ )

...Which is all very well if you're still providing a premium experience for the premium price.

Lower ride capacities; more and more complaints about park and hotel housekeeping; few parades and no evening parade; poorer quality merchandise; poorer quality food; inconsistent staff:guest interactions; shorter opening hours (especially party-related) etc. etc. aren't the premium for which Disney was once known.

Disney seem to be seeing what they can get away with - and whilst that might be a lot, it was definitely not what Walt intended. Walt's eye for detail - quality detail - was remarkable.

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside

Edited at 07:00 PM.
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 19, 07:28 PM  
Link to this Post
riversider2014
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
Its creator did not ever wish it should be experienced for all, it was always for the more well off. It is not a right to go to Disneyworld. I understand there will be unhappy customers, I have been one too on several occasions, but unhappy customers should vote with their feet, that is the only way to effect change.

In a nutshell, I guess I am saying if you don’t like the price of something, don’t buy it.
Exactly. It’s harsh but if you’re seeing a steady decline in standards yet are still going year in year out then more fool you to be honest.

Like anything in life I’ll continue to go somewhere and do something for a price I’m willing to pay. I’ve just come back from a fantastic 5 night stay so I’ll be looking to go back in 3 years time. If I thought it was overpriced and they were taking liberties I’d just go elsewhere.

Prices won’t go down and standards won’t go up if people are still going (and they are in there millions each year so what incentive do they have to change).

March 2015 - http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=865148
riversider2014 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 19, 07:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by riversider2014 View Post
Exactly. It’s harsh but if you’re seeing a steady decline in standards yet are still going year in year out then more fool you to be honest.

Like anything in life I’ll continue to go somewhere and do something for a price I’m willing to pay. I’ve just come back from a fantastic 5 night stay so I’ll be looking to go back in 3 years time. If I thought it was overpriced and they were taking liberties I’d just go elsewhere.

Prices won’t go down and standards won’t go up if people are still going (and they are in there millions each year so what incentive do they have to change).
It’s really the “old timers” who I think really see the difference. I believe WDW is, basically good value for money for me it is the customer service that’s gone to pot.

Those going now and in recent years probably have a different take on it.

WDW, sadly , don’t really have to improve anything, as there are enough middle class families only to willing to fill the gap left by us oldies.

I have one more visit in me, my bank account however says differently
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 19, 07:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Noddy22
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Bianca View Post
“They’ve been aggressively raising pricing because they’re looking at themselves as a premium price, a premium brand,” said Scott Sanders, vice president of pricing for Disney’s parks and resorts between 2004 and 2009.

(Washington Post
washingtonpost/news/...-class-behind/ )

...Which is all very well if you're still providing a premium experience for the premium price.

Lower ride capacities; more and more complaints about park and hotel housekeeping; few parades and no evening parade; poorer quality merchandise; poorer quality food; inconsistent staff:guest interactions; shorter opening hours (especially party-related) etc. etc. aren't the premium for which Disney was once known.

Disney seem to be seeing what they can get away with - and whilst that might be a lot, it was definitely not what Walt intended. Walt's eye for detail - quality detail - was remarkable.

That’s a really interesting article. I think it hits the nail on the head.
I really have no problem in paying premium for premium products and service.
Walt Disney is a big inspiration for me, both in an artistic and business sense and I try to run my business with a similar philosophy.
I’ve just seen the decline and kind of take it a little too personally I guess!
Noddy22 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 19, 07:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Noddy22 View Post
...Walt Disney is a big inspiration for me, both in an artistic and business sense and I try to run my business with a similar philosophy.
I’ve just seen the decline and kind of take it a little too personally I guess!
I don't think you're taking it too personally. Disney Parks trade on nostalgia and sentimentality in various ways.

Plus, as you say, Disney is meaningful to you beyond your visit.

The idea of 'don't complain, just stop going' is a bit dismissive. Life is rarely that black and white and Disney trips certainly aren't to lots of Dibbers!

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside

Edited at 07:47 PM.
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 19, 07:57 PM  
Link to this Post
CarolynU
Imagineer

CarolynU's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

The dilemma is that we perceive that Disney is becoming greedy. Sky high prices intertwined with heaving parks, dirtier restrooms and quick service places, and less magical cast member interaction. However, it’s as a result that parks are heaving no matter what Disney cuts back on or increases that allows this corporation to behave like this.
Only when their bottom line is hit will those in positions of power and influence re-evaluate their strategy. Right now that point hasn’t been reached.
I was surprised though how much I enjoyed my trip at the end of October beginning of November, but that was because I was introducing my very young grandkids to WDW.
But, would I go again twice a year every year like we did with our own kids! Not a chance. Far too busy for me.
We won’t return for between 2-3 years. Then after that who knows.
I’m not under any illusion though that where I bow out thousands more will take my place, so we either put up with the new way or not go.
Old 8 Dec 19, 09:46 PM  
Link to this Post
pinkstargirl
Very Serious Dibber

I think the biggest one for me, in terms of greed, is the charging to park at your hotel overnight. I know it's not a new thing, as I understand it Universal have been doing it for for a long time, but it just smacks of greed. I only hired a car for 48 hours in November, just to get out and go to Walmart, the outlets etc. But for people wanting the car for longer, they'll be hit with massive extra charges. And why? If it's because people parked at the hotels to avoid the parking charges, then get a better system to stop it, don't punish guests who have paid a hell of a lot of money already to stay there.

You can't win. Stay on site with a car for 10 days and pay between $150-250 to park at your resort. Stay off site with a car for 10 days and go to the parks all 10 days, pay $250 to park. Stay on site, no car but want to go off site, pay for taxi fares - not as expensive depending on where you go, but I just had a look and if you went to the premium outlets, Walmart just off the 192 and back to your on site hotel that could be $30-40.
pinkstargirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 19, 11:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Noddy22
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by pinkstargirl View Post
I think the biggest one for me, in terms of greed, is the charging to park at your hotel overnight. I know it's not a new thing, as I understand it Universal have been doing it for for a long time, but it just smacks of greed. I only hired a car for 48 hours in November, just to get out and go to Walmart, the outlets etc. But for people wanting the car for longer, they'll be hit with massive extra charges. And why? If it's because people parked at the hotels to avoid the parking charges, then get a better system to stop it, don't punish guests who have paid a hell of a lot of money already to stay there.

You can't win. Stay on site with a car for 10 days and pay between $150-250 to park at your resort. Stay off site with a car for 10 days and go to the parks all 10 days, pay $250 to park. Stay on site, no car but want to go off site, pay for taxi fares - not as expensive depending on where you go, but I just had a look and if you went to the premium outlets, Walmart just off the 192 and back to your on site hotel that could be $30-40.
I agree completely. With security at the gate checking everyone who comes in then surely it’s not difficult to figure out who should and shouldn’t be there. From memory, you used to get a sheet of paper at check in to put on your dash. This identified hotel guests for resort and park parking.
I’m sure with today’s technology it would be really easy to implement a parking system using number plate recognition etc.
I suspect it’s only really an excuse to charge another fee and at $24 a night, it’s no joke.
Noddy22 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 19, 11:13 PM  
Link to this Post
riversider2014
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Noddy22 View Post
I agree completely. With security at the gate checking everyone who comes in then surely it’s not difficult to figure out who should and shouldn’t be there. From memory, you used to get a sheet of paper at check in to put on your dash. This identified hotel guests for resort and park parking.
I’m sure with today’s technology it would be really easy to implement a parking system using number plate recognition etc.
I suspect it’s only really an excuse to charge another fee and at $24 a night, it’s no joke.

Most US cars don’t have a front number plate so would be difficult to have automatic barriers..

March 2015 - http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=865148
riversider2014 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 19, 11:36 PM  
Link to this Post
pinkstargirl
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by riversider2014 View Post
Most US cars don’t have a front number plate so would be difficult to have automatic barriers..
Probably not but some kind of permit isn't difficult. Resort guests can already use their magic bands at the automatic barriers, and as suggested above perhaps they could be given something to put on the dashboard. Guests just visiting a resort have to pull up at the booth anyway and they could be given another colour permit, perhaps with the date and time they entered - not very difficult with some kind of franking-style machine.

I don't know the layout of parking at every resort, but I was at All Star Sports last month. They have 3 parking lots for the buildings, with a smallish check in car park to the front. Disney could put magic band readers and automatic barriers on each of these car parks, therefore restricting the use to residents only. Anyone visiting/checking in could then receive a permit/paper to put on the dash, and be directed to the check in car park which could be patrolled - cheaper than patrolling the whole resort. Any car without a permit or with an expired one could then be charged the appropriate rate for parking.

But as many have stated, as long as people keep going and are happy to pay, iDisney will keep doing it.
pinkstargirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List