Go Back   theDIBB > DIBB Community > DIBBing > General Chat
Forgotten Password?
Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.
Unread 10 Dec 19, 07:52 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by CarolynU View Post
Many many moons ago my son worked for Disney at Epcot. He had three days of Traditions, training before being allowed to have interaction with guests. Then there were extremely strict guidelines of CM behaviour in the shops, and very frequent mystery shoppers watching him in the shops and on the tills.
CMs were not allowed to stay behind the tills if there were no guests waiting to buy items. They had to interact with each and every guest entering the store. When they did serve customers they had to ask each and every guest how their day was going and offer to ship all parcels to the front of the park. CMs were not allowed to chat to each other in site of the guests. After they had been mystery shopped they then had a 1:1 meeting with their manager to receive feedback. If their service fell beneath the high 90s they were given one opportunity to bring their scores up and if they couldnt they were terminated. They had numerous managers who rode around on segways all through the day keeping an eye on them.
Each and every time Ive walked through the shops in Epcot in the UK Pavilion in the last few years Ive only been greeted a handful of times. CMs have been behind the counters looking bored or chatting to each other. On my last but one trip one girl was seruptiosously looking at her phone. In the next room I mentioned this to a young girl and suggested that she might wish to have a quiet word with her. I mentioned about mystery shoppers and she looked at me blankly. She was almost at the end of her contract and this was no longer done. I spoke about her managers coming around throughout the day and she said there were not many managers and they no longer came around much.
This October we met my son and his wife who is also an ex CM from Canada and we walked around all the shops in both the UK and Canada. Just one CM greeted us and the rest of the time not even though the stores werent busy. They were both very very shocked and said that this was drastically different than when they worked there.
I dont think they believed me having described it to them until they saw it with their own eyes.
An excellent insight into plunging standards. Wonder why they are allowing it to happen? Stripped out middle management so no one doing the policing?
Unread 10 Dec 19, 08:20 PM  
Link to this Post
riversider2014
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by CarolynU View Post
Many many moons ago my son worked for Disney at Epcot. He had three days of Traditions, training before being allowed to have interaction with guests. Then there were extremely strict guidelines of CM behaviour in the shops, and very frequent mystery shoppers watching him in the shops and on the tills.
CMs were not allowed to stay behind the tills if there were no guests waiting to buy items. They had to interact with each and every guest entering the store. When they did serve customers they had to ask each and every guest how their day was going and offer to ship all parcels to the front of the park. CMs were not allowed to chat to each other in site of the guests. After they had been mystery shopped they then had a 1:1 meeting with their manager to receive feedback. If their service fell beneath the high 90s they were given one opportunity to bring their scores up and if they couldnt they were terminated. They had numerous managers who rode around on segways all through the day keeping an eye on them.
Each and every time Ive walked through the shops in Epcot in the UK Pavilion in the last few years Ive only been greeted a handful of times. CMs have been behind the counters looking bored or chatting to each other. On my last but one trip one girl was seruptiosously looking at her phone. In the next room I mentioned this to a young girl and suggested that she might wish to have a quiet word with her. I mentioned about mystery shoppers and she looked at me blankly. She was almost at the end of her contract and this was no longer done. I spoke about her managers coming around throughout the day and she said there were not many managers and they no longer came around much.
This October we met my son and his wife who is also an ex CM from Canada and we walked around all the shops in both the UK and Canada. Just one CM greeted us and the rest of the time not even though the stores werent busy. They were both very very shocked and said that this was drastically different than when they worked there.
I dont think they believed me having described it to them until they saw it with their own eyes.
This is a really interesting post and maybe explains why it isnt necessarily an oldie v newbie argument as to whether its losing its magic as it is very much what you define as magic.

This is genuinely not even remotely on my radar as something that is no longer done, I was unaware that it was happening therefore its not something I miss (maybe Im just unobservant 😊 ) and it certainly wouldnt spoil my holiday

The CM this year continued to call my DD princess, we got a nice welcome at the park entrance and at each stop on the skyliner so not noticed any lowering of standards in that department.

The magic I do miss is the Main Street electrical parade and, back in the day, the characters just walking round the parks rather than being out at set times.
riversider2014 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Duinrell, beekse Bergen, Efteling
Unread 10 Dec 19, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

Originally Posted by THOscar View Post
I love these threads because it can literally be summed up as 'Capitalism'.
Or, more precisely, the myopia of current 'capitalism'.

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Dec 19, 09:17 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Traditions set Disney head and shoulders above everyone.
They set the bar so high , it was all about not meeting customer expectation but exceeding it. Its hard to explain to anyone who hadnt experienced it, it was everywhere not just the odd bit of great customer service.
There was a pride in working for Disney that really doesnt exist to the same extent anymore in the parks although I do see it still within corporate Disney.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Big Birthday Cruise
Unread 10 Dec 19, 10:44 PM  
Link to this Post
CarolynU
Imagineer

CarolynU's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
An excellent insight into plunging standards. Wonder why they are allowing it to happen? Stripped out middle management so no one doing the policing?
Yes I think that is exactly the problem. In the years when my son and daughter in law worked there Disney set a standard and monitored it with vigour and had the staff to do so. They took pride in this and maintaining this mattered to them. It wasnt always about what could be cut without the guests realising. Now they have found out that if it isnt immediately visible then it doesnt matter, and of course they are right as visitor numbers prove.
Unread 10 Dec 19, 11:07 PM  
Link to this Post
CarolynU
Imagineer

CarolynU's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by riversider2014 View Post
This is a really interesting post and maybe explains why it isnt necessarily an oldie v newbie argument as to whether its losing its magic as it is very much what you define as magic.

This is genuinely not even remotely on my radar as something that is no longer done, I was unaware that it was happening therefore its not something I miss (maybe Im just unobservant 😊 ) and it certainly wouldnt spoil my holiday

The CM this year continued to call my DD princess, we got a nice welcome at the park entrance and at each stop on the skyliner so not noticed any lowering of standards in that department.

The magic I do miss is the Main Street electrical parade and, back in the day, the characters just walking round the parks rather than being out at set times.
Dont get me wrong on our last trip last month we had the most amazing time. Seeing my grandkids faces at character interactions was worth its weight in gold. The magic for us with them was definitely still there, but that doesnt mean that Im not aware of how much has changed and how the little things are different.
For example restrooms were once immaculate from park opening until park closing. Not so much now.
Every park had an afternoon parade. Now only MK has one.
Not one park had an evening parade unless it was for an additional ticketed event.
In the main Disney store at Disney Springs there was literally not one single outfit of any description that I could buy for my eleven month old grandson. I spoke to the CM who told me to go to Walmart as they have a far better selection of Disney clothes.
Thats just a few small differences. Will I go back ? Yes without a doubt to give the baby his Disney turn when he is around three or four. In the interim we will continue to cruise with Disney and may even pop over to Disneyland Paris for an odd day or two here and there.
I loved our trip, but the changes are very visible to me.
Unread 11 Dec 19, 12:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Morganza
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
I guess I am saying if you dont like the price of something, dont buy it.
It's not about price, it's about value. I first visited in the mid 90s and Disney was a delight. Photo opportunities were free and plentiful. Not every ride ended inside a shop. Cast members were happy and made you welcome. The parks didn't feel crushed. It was magical.

Recent visits have been very different. The parks are not as clean. There's a lack of care. There's too many people for the facilities. The feeling that every last cent will be squeezed out of you is palpable.

Most posters are objecting about the decline in service and experience. Not the price.
Morganza is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Dec 19, 12:12 AM  
Link to this Post
macdonald
Imagineer

you no longer have the safety now of the parks being alcohol free! ...
macdonald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
The Grand Floridian
QuickSilver