Go Back   theDIBB > DIBB Community > DIBBing > General Chat
Forgotten Password?
Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.
Unread 28 Dec 19, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post
lottiesmum0
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I would class myself as a strong swimmer. Id also class Dd the same. Ds is ok and DH is weaker - he does not like feeling out of his depth.
Unread 28 Dec 19, 12:36 PM  
Link to this Post
mason1
Imagineer

mason1's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
I can swim - not fantastic, but good enough for a leisurely swim in the pool. DH is a good swimmer (his school had a pool, so swam regularly). Both kids had lessons from 6 months and continued through to life saving skills.

My mother in law cant swim (mid 60s), my dads a strong swimmer and taught us to swim, and mum can swim but doesnt like to get her hair wet 🤣 (both 75).

The swimming lessons at school as part of the curriculum are inadequate - as a previous poster said, how on earth they expect a non-swimmer to complete 25m after 30 minutes a week for a term or 2 is beyond me. I also dont agree that its a schools responsibility to teach a child to swim - but thats a different discussion 🙄
Got the Florida bug May 2012 villa at Sandy Ridge; May 2013 villa at Lake Berkley; May 2014 villa at Lake Berkley; August 2015 villa at Lake Berkley; May 2016 villa at Lake Berkley; October 2016 New York; August 2017 villa at Chatham Park; July/Aug 2018 villa at Chatham Park; Aug 2019 OKW & villa at Lake Berkley; Aug 2020 Indian Creek
mason1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
We said no Disney!
Unread 28 Dec 19, 12:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Irishlass
Apprentice Imagineer

I'm a good swimmer. Everyone in my family is tbh. I'm in my 30's and have been swimming since around 4/5 but we were all taught by my dad or uncles while on our holiday abroad. It was one of the trafitiond lol, see who can swim by the end of the holiday lol. Even now the school I work in do swimming lessons once a week for KS2 kids, that's for the whole year.

Regarding the tragic incident in Soain on Christmas Eve though, to be totally honest with you, I'm not convinced it's due to non swimmers... which the wife incidentally has said the husband could swim.

There's something odd about the whole thing TBH. If it was one person yes, but not 3 people, in broad daylight with other people around. Esp in that small of a pool. I may be on my own in that thought, but there's something just not right about the whole incident.
Irishlass is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Lanzarote here I come!
Unread 28 Dec 19, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Mazbar
Imagineer

Mazbar's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4
Im a average swimmer, my wife swims like a stone. So she wanted our daughter to swim, she started early and progressed to a swimming club, at 8 she did the Marie curie swim 64 lengths of our local pool so over a mile in just over a hour then went to school.
Mazbar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Dec 19, 12:44 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

PPM's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 6
I used to be able to do 15miles, but now at 65 I reckon thatabout 400 Mars would be my limit before I saw my breakfast again

For me now the important thing is being able to help Mrs PPM incase she got into difficulties. I did a lifesaving course when the kids were young incase I ever needed it ( thank goodness I didnt need it ever). One handy tip was how to make flotation out of your trousers. Take them off, tie knots in the bottom of the legs. close and zip the top then flip over your head to trap air in the legs. This will go down in around 5 mins but gives you a break from paddling. This only works in warming waters.
In the North Sea if you arent out in five or ten mins you are done
Oops went off on a rant... sorry
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
RC Flying Corfu 1 week May 2 weeks Aug
Unread 28 Dec 19, 01:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Holidaylover19
VIP Dibber

Holidaylover19's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 2
Non swimmer here. Tried to learn but just couldn't.
Unread 28 Dec 19, 01:28 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Irishlass View Post
... Regarding the tragic incident in Soain on Christmas Eve though, to be totally honest with you, I'm not convinced it's due to non swimmers... which the wife incidentally has said the husband could swim.

There's something odd about the whole thing TBH. If it was one person yes, but not 3 people, in broad daylight with other people around. Esp in that small of a pool. I may be on my own in that thought, but there's something just not right about the whole incident.
My thoughts exactly. Theres more to this story but probably take ages to become public.
ERICSMUM is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Dec 19, 01:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
When I was young... long time ago... I was a very strong swimmer, however at the age of 18, I did drown in the sea, I was revived by a life guard mouth to mouth etc and obvious lived, lived to tell the tale, since then I will not go out of my depth although I do like scuba diving! Which is odd, but do tend to panic when I am on the surface.