Go Back   theDIBB > DIBB Community > DIBBing > General Chat
Forgotten Password?
Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.
Unread 3 Jan 20, 09:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Gabsnoot
Very Serious Dibber

All is not lost, our daughter changed her mind about her UCAS choices after receiving her offers, she declined them all . She was still able to apply for available courses at Universities through UCAS Extra, theres a search facility on the UCAS website which shows which courses still have places.

We are in Scotland so available places for Scottish applicants were very limited at Scottish Universities due to the very low fees the University receive for them but there were plenty of places available at English & N Irish Universities.

Its a very stressful time but its better that she realises now rather than after shes started a course she doesnt like. Im keeping my fingers crossed she finds something suitable. Best of luck.

Edited at 09:04 PM.
Gabsnoot is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Beach, Villa, Disney
Unread 3 Jan 20, 09:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Twin mummy View Post
As an ex state school teacher I wouldn't be so sure (about either choice).

Op, I would really get her to think about having a year out and trying to get work/ work experience in both areas, as well as some money behind her so she can be sure.
I agree with this wholeheartedly!

It's a really good idea to get some experience in a primary classroom(s) before training.

Volunteering would give her a glimpse into the current realities of teaching and would look good on her C.V.. I'm sure that teachers would give her lots of info if they know she's thinking of joining the profession.

There are moments when it feels like the best job, but there are, also, good reasons so many are fleeing!

theguardian/educatio...thin-two-years

P.S. I think most school-leavers would benefit from a gap year of some kind before committing to a degree course and, potentially, a career.

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 20, 09:06 PM  
Link to this Post
storm
Imagineer

DD is a teacher , I was a nurse.
Please don't let her do either without getting some experience first. Have a year out working in a care/ hospital setting & schools.
DD had a lot of her peers drop out of both courses as they weren't what they thought it was about .
Nurses, long hours, low pay, shift patterns, always working out with paid hours.
Teachers on paper short days , long hols. When reality is long days & hols spent planning, giving your free time to after school clubs etc
Both are rewarding but they are hard courses & hard work.
Sorry to be a Debbie downer but I wouldn't encourage anyone to go into nursing without a trial period. A year work experience is sooooo worth it.
storm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Our WDW Holiday.
Unread 3 Jan 20, 09:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
what a sad state of affairs when an experienced nurse and experienced teacher can no longer, hand on heart say go for it!
It's so sad isn't it. Don't get me wrong, I love teaching but I wouldn't work in a state school now. It's no longer about helping children grow and develop, it's all about meeting targets (often unrealistic and not about what's best for the children) and justifying what you've done. Accountability gone too far. I'm sure many nurses would make similar comments.

I'm lucky, I'm now in a private prep school where we are trusted as professionals to make decisions which are in the best interests of the children and can foster a love of learning. I still work really hard, long hours but it's working at things that make a real difference.
Unread 3 Jan 20, 09:50 PM  
Link to this Post
TheGrahams
Apprentice Imagineer

My dd did exactly this, although it was during summer holidays, got accepted for nursing but had to wait for a year to apply to university again.

Billy , Liz , Liam & Gemma
TheGrahams is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Disney is calling again
Unread 4 Jan 20, 12:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Powlay
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 4
Is UCAS extra basically what clearing used to be?

Ive a fair few younger friends who are in teaching, and if thats what you want to do according to them dont waste a year volunteering just go for it, and if you need you can change focus after a year.

March 20 for a week maybe?
Powlay is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Family break
Unread 4 Jan 20, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
Imagineer

Ive passed the information on... but not heard back from her yet... Thankyou so much everyone...

May 2012 3 weeks Highgate villa, RPR & Barefoot Beach Resort
May 2010 2 weeks The Point Orlando Resort & Clearwater
djewkes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jan 20, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Tetrarch
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 23
Originally Posted by Powlay View Post
Is UCAS extra basically what clearing used to be?
Not really.

Extra is useful for people like the OP's granddaughter who has changed her mind about her course after applying, or for applicants who have had all rejections. It enables them to secure a uni place and apply for accommodation prior to exams being taken, so without the last minute scramble for places/accommodation after results in clearing. Most offers in extra will be conditional.

Clearing still exists as much as it ever did, but doesn't begin until after results are achieved so all offers through clearing are unconditional

The choice of courses is far greater in extra than in clearing.

Originally Posted by Powlay View Post
Ive a fair few younger friends who are in teaching, and if thats what you want to do according to them dont waste a year volunteering just go for it, and if you need you can change focus after a year.
I wouldn't recommend anyone start a degree they are not sure about as the costs are high and more importantly, funding limited with only one 'gift year' allowed. Dropping out and changing focus comes with financial implications which need to be fully understood.

Vocational degrees such as nursing and teaching often require volunteer experience in order to be accepted at some universities.

Debra
Contemporary 5* Luxury villa on Highlands Reserve Championship golf course, 5-bed 3-bath, SW facing pool & spa, huge gas BBQ & open views over golf course. Safe 10 minute walk to Berry Town Center.

Click HERE to see our Dibb advert
Click HERE to read over 40 fantastic Dibb reviews

State License No: DWE6310701
Tetrarch is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Pool Refurbishment Project
Holiday to Florida with Florida4less