Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 12 May 19, 07:22 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Cooltails View Post
If anyone can point me to anything anywhere that says this was a change last year, then great. This must be something that literally only affects people on this forum as this issue exists 0 other places, Google is a dead end, nada. If it was a problem it would be all over the place, but there is literally nothing, including enforcement of it. Having been to LA and Orlando and not an eye being batted, and 0 reports of anyone anywhere being refused, I certainly won't be paying again any time soon to redo,
As previously mentioned, it isn't 'all over the place' or newsworth (yet!) as the DHS/CBP haven't fully enforced travel doc's match, whether they will/place a banner on the ESTA application home page, only they know. What we do know, albeit not when the update was applied, the DHS updated the ESTA application outlining their requirements behind the name ? As others have said, it would assist if they amended the visual question to clarify full names(s) vs behind the ?

One can discuss/be irritible re this update, or complain; 'I don't read the whole application, or ?'s, because nothing has changed for me'... irrespective of opinions/indignation/grumblings, the DHS/CBP have laid out their requirement, it's not open for second guessing travellers. The US aren't trying to frustrate travellers but they do expect one to fully read, and abide by, their ESTA application. There's a very simple alternative for those who object/chose not to abide, don't travel to the US.

Having fallen foul of a US imigration officer error, I'd prefer holidaymakers navigate immigration trouble free Being officer accompanied to Secondary is concerning at best, it was a harsh reminder that none are infallible.
Old 12 May 19, 09:42 PM  
Link to this Post
POFQfan
slightly serious Dibber

Will just mention that we did Estas in February this year and travelled in April getting back two weeks ago. I didn't include middle names (as didn't click on the ?) and we had not questions or issues.
POFQfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 19, 10:33 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by mconnelly1 View Post
Thank you - she's really stressed about it but I've recommended that she emails the embassy and fingers crossed they will respond the same. That way she can print the email and take it with her
Why would they say anything other than the instructions that are contained in the ESTA?
They will say that you should have all the names as per instructions.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 20, 03:22 PM  
Link to this Post
thedriver
Proud to wear my Ears

I got esta's done back in March 2018

We are going again in feb 2020 and are back 24th Feb.

Will they still be valid for travel - we didnt put middle names in - as they where not required then, but believe this has now changed.

Has anyone traveled on an old Esta recently?

Any advice welcome.

TIA
thedriver is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 20, 03:25 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

Originally Posted by thedriver View Post

Will they still be valid for travel - we didnt put middle names in - as they where not required then, but believe this has now changed.

Any advice welcome.

TIA
Your ESTAs are valid.

If the middle name rule is enforced before you travel AND this is retrospective to all existing ESTAs then you will need to reapply.

Disney332
Old 13 Jan 20, 06:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by thedriver View Post

Any advice welcome.

TIA
Assuming that you haven't changed your passports since March 2018 and none of your other personal details have changed (eg. you haven't since been arrested for a serious crime), then the ESTAs will still be valid.

It is worth going onto the official ESTA website and checking that the ESTAs are still authorised (or accepted or whatever the term is). Just in case the status has changed.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 20, 06:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Redsnapper
Imagineer

There is no clear notice on the ESTA site about this and no suggestion any where that you must hover over the ? to read what it says against "first name"

Sorry but I believe this is a non issue only hyped up by a few individuals on this board.
Old 13 Jan 20, 06:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Redsnapper View Post
There is no clear notice on the ESTA site about this and no suggestion any where that you must hover over the ? to read what it says against "first name"

Sorry but I believe this is a non issue only hyped up by a few individuals on this board.
Please note that this is an old thread from back in March to May 2019. The recent update was just someone merely asking whether their ESTA was still valid. It is.

As to your point, it clearly states on the ESTA website that what you enter into the Given Name field should match your Given Name field in your passport. If that includes a middle name then, in theory, the ESTA should include the middle name as per the official instructions.

In practice, it doesn't seem to make any difference. They don't seem to be enforcing this bit. There may be other parts of the ESTA that are not rigorously enforced (such as your address when in the USA).

However, here on the DIBB, I like to point out what the official ESTA website and confirmation from CBP officials states rather than just providing anecdotal evidence. That way, people have all the facts and can come to their own conclusions as to what to do.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 20, 06:54 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Redsnapper View Post

If you go onto the ESTA site today, and you go to type in the First (Given Name) area a box appears that tells you to include all names inc middle names if on your passport. You don’t even need to click a button... it appears right away. (and very clearly described... fact)

Try it, read the box and you will see that the instruction is there.
This thread is months old and the ESTA form has changed since then.

The issue is not about whether you will get snared at immigration, you won’t, but why would you not include the middle name when the instructions say to do so. It’s just a case of reading the instructions and doing what they ask.
The authorities aren’t enforcing it now but may in the future. But if/when they do it won’t be retrospective.

Edit... Oops, beaten by Nimbus 😀

Edited at 06:55 PM.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 20, 08:49 PM  
Link to this Post
kraftikris
VIP Dibber

kraftikris's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
OP I travelled in November on a fairly new ESTA and I didn't (not deliberately) put in the middle name, in fact thankfully I forgot all about it until I came home! otherwise I would have been a wreck at the airport. Obviously there was no mention of it.
2003 - 25th Wedding anniv. St Lucia, 2004 - Quality Inn Kissimmee
2006 - Bahama Bay Davenport
2007,2008 and 2010 Nov, Windwood Bay
May 2009 Ballys, Las Vegas
Nov 2012 Lindfields Villa.
Nov 2011, 2013. 2014 & 2015 2016, 2017, 2018, Terrace Ridge
Nov 2019 Grand Reserve, 2022 The Manors at Westridge
kraftikris is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List