Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 15 Jan 20, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Welshsaint
Trying for More Ears

Mobile Tolls

Hi all, sorry if this has been asked before, how do you get a pre paid toll pass and also which ones are the best? last time we visited we ended up on a toll road which was also a 1 way road and had no change to pay (rookie mistake in our 1st ever visit) (therefore I was to scared to reverse or turn around and drive the wrong way in case I got a ticket as it was our 1st full day there) and had no choice but to drive through, after advice from on here we decided to just drive through all tolls and get charged to our bank card, only problem with this is we were having charges going out of our account weeks after we got back to the uk. Thanks in advance for any advice
Welshsaint is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 20, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I would imagine that 90% of DIBB holidaymakers rely on the Sunpass scheme that you've already experienced.

Hopefully regular Dibbers such as angelbabe or DonnaD who live over there will spot your post and reply.

I believe you can get them from the likes of Walmart and you have to link them to your car reg. Maybe get a small reduction on toll costs as well.

Mick
Old 15 Jan 20, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
PerksP
Imagineer

Have a look at visitortollpass/. If you are coming in through MCO you can pick up a toll pass here - as long as you are hiring a car at the airport.

It is a scheme run by the Florida Highways Authority and is being piloted to get around the problems that you were facing and also to stop people paying exhorbitant fees to car hire companies.

You hang the pass on your mirror and it is activated as you leave the airport. You can log into your account to see how much you are clocking up and then, when you return the pass to the airport you are charged for the tolls. Just the tolls, no additional charges.

I think it is a great scheme - really easy to use and totally safe
PerksP is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 20, 08:07 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by PerksP View Post
Have a look at visitortollpass/. If you are coming in through MCO you can pick up a toll pass here - as long as you are hiring a car at the airport.

It is a scheme run by the Florida Highways Authority and is being piloted to get around the problems that you were facing and also to stop people paying exhorbitant fees to car hire companies.

You hang the pass on your mirror and it is activated as you leave the airport. You can log into your account to see how much you are clocking up and then, when you return the pass to the airport you are charged for the tolls. Just the tolls, no additional charges.

I think it is a great scheme - really easy to use and totally safe
We used it in Nov/Dec and have signed up for next trip. As you say it's great and hopefully they will extend the admin fee free trial beyond this summer.

Mick
Old 15 Jan 20, 08:10 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
OP - just to add that it's not unusual to have toll charges added over a couple of months or even more. The participants to Sunpass are numerous Highways Agencies across the whole state and they all have different billing dates when they send their charges to Alamo etc. so your hire period may overlap the invoice periods

I have looked on the Walmart site and yes they do sell transponders but having never bought one I don't know if they are good value. One small downside I can think of is that you have to link them to the car reg. Presumably you can do this from the airport but you won't know the reg until you've actually got the car.

Mick

Edited at 10:16 AM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 08:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Fairy Nuff
Being a bit Goofy

Is it possible to just pay cash on the toll roads instead of having a sunpass? We are flying into Tampa.
Fairy Nuff is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 04:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Fairy Nuff
Being a bit Goofy

Meant to add that we have hired a car through DFCH and it appears that it is a Dollar rental - which is apparently the worst for Sunpass charges. Can anyone offer any tips/advice?
Fairy Nuff is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 20, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Fairy Nuff
Being a bit Goofy

Anybody?
Old 24 Jan 20, 12:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Fairy Nuff
Being a bit Goofy

Bump!
Old 29 Jan 20, 11:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Fairy Nuff
Being a bit Goofy

Surely I can't be the only one with these questions?