Go Back   theDIBB > DIBB Community > DIBBing > TV and Film
Forgotten Password?
Notices
TV and Film This forum is for those DIBB members that want to discuss TV and Films.
Eat and Play Card
Unread 14 Jan 20, 03:18 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Mobile

I caught up with Christmas TV as I was away and loved the first 2 episodes and watched them back to back then into episode 3 and I was bored - it was too loud and a hopeless script like a replay of 1970/80s Blakes 7

Will give next weeks a go but if it is like last Sunday will turn off and attend to my ironing as thats more fun

Megaflyer
megaflyer is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 20, 12:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by MrsBC View Post
This ^^ - I just don't like her as The Doctor (not because she's female, because she plays the part badly for me) I've tried again this series, and watched the first 3. Thought the writing was improving but last nights was back to 'meh' again.
Ditto. She's not clicking with me.

I didn't like Peter Capaldi's Doctor either, but I was a fan of Moffat's scripts and stories (so that made up for it).

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
I think its the way its written but she just talks to herself constantly. And is forever explaining the plot. Or giving a lecture. I dont like her and I want to as I love Dr Who.
Other Doctors have talked to themselves so that's not an issue. It's just her acting doesn't work for me. It feels forced. Her enthusiasm and quirkiness seems artificial - I notice that she's acting (which shouldn't be the case).

If the scripts were good then I could overlook it. But this week's wasn't up to much either.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Anniversary trip to POFQ...
Unread 16 Jan 20, 04:52 PM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
VIP Dibber

I've been a Dr Who fan my whole life, but I just don't enjoy it now.

The scripts are not always great - a few exceptions perhaps - but often it seems like trying to be a history lesson as much as anything.

And I don't like Jodie's doctor, and I don't like any of the companions. It's all just far too wooden. Sadly, the casting has ruined it. Imagine how good it could have been if someone like Alex Kingston (who was River Song) was the Dr?
neilhd is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
HRH and AKL 2020
Unread 16 Jan 20, 06:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by neilhd View Post
The scripts are not always great - a few exceptions perhaps - but often it seems like trying to be a history lesson as much as anything.
To be fair, Doctor Who started as a sort of sci-fi history lesson. It was supposed to be an educational programme using time travel as a means to explore history and science. I think Chris Chibnall has purposefully guided the current DW more towards it's original premise.

BTW. that's not necessarily a good or bad thing; just because it's a "history lesson" doesn't itself make it good or bad.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Anniversary trip to POFQ...
Unread 16 Jan 20, 06:22 PM  
Link to this Post
blusteryday
VIP Dibber

blusteryday's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 12
Guidebook Photos: 8
Its not a fun show any more. Its kind of lost its mojo. I want to like the current incarnation but I just dont get Jodies version. That said, I never got Capaldi either so my interest has been on the wain for a while.

Theres only so many ways the Daleks can come back, the Master/Missy resurrects, Cybermen etc etc...all a bit tired and flat

And I dont need to know Rosa Parks, Nicolei Tesla, <insert famous transatlantic person here> have the Doctor and fam to thank for their place in history. The Doctor is his/her best when dealing with baddies and ethical dilemmas.

Time to rest it for a few years. Bring it back once interest has built up.

Edited at 06:26 PM.
blusteryday is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
The Big Blusteryday Blowout
Unread 16 Jan 20, 06:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Mazbar
Imagineer

Mazbar's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4
Jelly baby anyone
Mazbar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 20, 06:28 PM  
Link to this Post
blusteryday
VIP Dibber

blusteryday's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 12
Guidebook Photos: 8
Mobile

Husband to endlessly understanding wife. Dad to three amazing kids. Mobile cash point and family taxi. Any opinions expressed are usually my own, or borrowed from people more intelligent than me. Please make cheques payable to 'Cash'.
blusteryday is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
The Big Blusteryday Blowout
Unread 16 Jan 20, 06:32 PM  
Link to this Post
dizzy1
Trying for More Ears

I really, really want to like the new episodes, but I'm just not enjoying them. I have no problem with Jodie Whittaker, but the writing and the companions are just not working for me. There's no chemistry between the cast. Last season almost had me switching off, but as a long time fan, I persevered. The 2 part New Year episodes were OK, and gave me a glimmer of hope, but then episode 3 slid right back down the hill again.
dizzy1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote