Go Back   theDIBB > DIBB Community > DIBBing > General Chat
Forgotten Password?
Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.
Unread 18 Jan 20, 11:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Pieces
Imagineer

Pieces's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Mobile

I get 20 plus bank holiday but I have to save 3 days for Christmas shutdown so all in all I can only choose 17 of the days I get off. Not great.
Unread 19 Jan 20, 01:31 AM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

Originally Posted by buryboy View Post
How do people get 9 or 10 bank holidays when there are only 8 ?
England & Wales get 8.
Scotland get 9 (they also get 2nd Jan & St Andrews day but not Easter Monday).
Northern Ireland get 10 (they also get St Patricks Day & Battle of the Boyne day).

Edited at 01:40 AM.
scooby99 is offline Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Starting the 2020 US trips in San Diego
Unread 19 Jan 20, 04:12 AM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Ellelledee View Post
This REALLY annoys me. It happens at my daughters work and my hubby who runs his own business has this rule and I tell him straight that I think its wrong.
I get 24 or 25 days plus bank holidays then we can also buy extra days up to 30 days in total max (not including bank hols).
Our work opens everyday except weekends and bank holidays so I can take my 30 days anytime I want. Whereas my daughter and hubby have to save however many days are required for Xmas as their business closes. So to me that is NOT annual leave just making it sound like it. So like I can say Ill work Xmas because I want to take my holidays at this time - my daughter cant go that as the works close. They just make us sound like you gave a good allowance when actually you dont because if you have say 24 days but you need 4 of them because they are closed you actually only get 20 days.
It's perfectly reasonable to do this as long as you get at leastv5.6 weeks.

Most people would be happy to have Christmas off every year to be with family

June 2006, August 2007, September 2018, January 2019, September 2019
lizzie145 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Back to Disney
Unread 19 Jan 20, 04:17 AM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ClaireNJ View Post
Yes my Hubbie has 20 days too, but 3 have to be taken at Christmas so leaves only 17 😢the bare minimum 😫
Does he get bank holidays as well? Otherwise he is not getting the minimum

June 2006, August 2007, September 2018, January 2019, September 2019
lizzie145 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Back to Disney
Unread 19 Jan 20, 04:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
Imagineer

Claudette's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by Ellelledee View Post
This REALLY annoys me. It happens at my daughters work and my hubby who runs his own business has this rule and I tell him straight that I think its wrong.
I get 24 or 25 days plus bank holidays then we can also buy extra days up to 30 days in total max (not including bank hols).
Our work opens everyday except weekends and bank holidays so I can take my 30 days anytime I want. Whereas my daughter and hubby have to save however many days are required for Xmas as their business closes. So to me that is NOT annual leave just making it sound like it. So like I can say Ill work Xmas because I want to take my holidays at this time - my daughter cant go that as the works close. They just make us sound like you gave a good allowance when actually you dont because if you have say 24 days but you need 4 of them because they are closed you actually only get 20 days.
It is perfectly legal and reasonable for a business to stipulate when holidays are taken. Some will not have work available at Christmas, so why should they pay people to sit around doing nothing.

I have always worked in multinationals and there has never been this rule, however I was recently offered a job at a local family owned firm in the manufacturing sector. The job offer included the statement that I would need to use annual leave between Christmas and New Year. It was up to me to decide if this was acceptable to me or not, it was part of the deal.
Claudette is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
NY & Disney 2020
Unread 19 Jan 20, 09:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Chair1519
Imagineer

Chair1519's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by scooby99 View Post
England & Wales get 8.
Northern Ireland get 10 (they also get St Patricks Day & Battle of the Boyne day).
In Scotland St Andrews day is not a public holiday. It was designated a bank holiday in 2006 but banks don't have to take it. The schools take it but the likes of NHS don't.
Chair1519 is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jan 20, 09:24 AM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by lizzie145 View Post
It's perfectly reasonable to do this as long as you get at leastv5.6 weeks.

Most people would be happy to have Christmas off every year to be with family
So true
I have only had the whole of the period between Xmas and new year off once in my working life
I am so jealous of people who can within reason take time off when they want
Using annual leave productively between my self ( cant have first 10 days of any month . Cant have more than a long weekend October , cant have January , and my wife ( school hols only ) and my DD - retail so cant have Xmas , must do x bank hols is almost impossible
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads
buryboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
I dreamed a dream
Unread 19 Jan 20, 09:49 AM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Originally Posted by scooby99 View Post
England & Wales get 8.
We get 10 in the IOM too - the English ones plus Senior Race Day (a Friday in June, when the Senior TT is held) and Tynwald Day (5th July or closest working day, our national day).
Kenwood Travel