Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Jan 20, 04:12 AM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Ellelledee View Post
This REALLY annoys me. It happens at my daughters work and my hubby who runs his own business has this rule and I tell him straight that I think it’s wrong.
I get 24 or 25 days plus bank holidays then we can also buy extra days up to 30 days in total max (not including bank hols).
Our work opens everyday except weekends and bank holidays so I can take my 30 days anytime I want. Whereas my daughter and hubby have to save however many days are required for Xmas as their business closes. So to me that is NOT annual leave just making it sound like it. So like I can say I’ll work Xmas because I want to take my holidays at this time - my daughter can’t go that as the works close. They just make us sound like you gave a good allowance when actually you don’t because if you have say 24 days but you need 4 of them because they are closed you actually only get 20 days.
It's perfectly reasonable to do this as long as you get at leastv5.6 weeks.

Most people would be happy to have Christmas off every year to be with family
Old 19 Jan 20, 04:17 AM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ClaireNJ View Post
Yes my Hubbie has 20 days too, but 3 have to be taken at Christmas so leaves only 17 😢the bare minimum 😫
Does he get bank holidays as well? Otherwise he is not getting the minimum
Old 19 Jan 20, 04:55 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Ellelledee View Post
This REALLY annoys me. It happens at my daughters work and my hubby who runs his own business has this rule and I tell him straight that I think it’s wrong.
I get 24 or 25 days plus bank holidays then we can also buy extra days up to 30 days in total max (not including bank hols).
Our work opens everyday except weekends and bank holidays so I can take my 30 days anytime I want. Whereas my daughter and hubby have to save however many days are required for Xmas as their business closes. So to me that is NOT annual leave just making it sound like it. So like I can say I’ll work Xmas because I want to take my holidays at this time - my daughter can’t go that as the works close. They just make us sound like you gave a good allowance when actually you don’t because if you have say 24 days but you need 4 of them because they are closed you actually only get 20 days.
It is perfectly legal and reasonable for a business to stipulate when holidays are taken. Some will not have work available at Christmas, so why should they pay people to sit around doing nothing.

I have always worked in multinationals and there has never been this rule, however I was recently offered a job at a local family owned firm in the manufacturing sector. The job offer included the statement that I would need to use annual leave between Christmas and New Year. It was up to me to decide if this was acceptable to me or not, it was part of the deal.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 20, 09:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by scooby99 View Post
England & Wales get 8.
Scotland get 9 (they also get 2nd Jan & St Andrews day but not Easter Monday).
Northern Ireland get 10 (they also get St Patrick’s Day & Battle of the Boyne day).
In Scotland St Andrews day is not a public holiday. It was designated a bank holiday in 2006 but banks don't have to take it. The schools take it but the likes of NHS don't.
Dinglebert is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 20, 09:24 AM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by lizzie145 View Post
It's perfectly reasonable to do this as long as you get at leastv5.6 weeks.

Most people would be happy to have Christmas off every year to be with family
So true
I have only had the whole of the period between Xmas and new year off once in my working life
I am so jealous of people who can within reason take time off when they want
Using annual leave productively between my self ( can’t have first 10 days of any month . Can’t have more than a long weekend October , can’t have January , and my wife ( school hols only ) and my DD - retail so can’t have Xmas , must do x bank hols is almost impossible
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 20, 09:49 AM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

England & Wales get 8.
Northern Ireland get 10 (they also get St Patrick’s Day & Battle of the Boyne day).
We get 10 in the IOM too - the English ones plus Senior Race Day (a Friday in June, when the Senior TT is held) and Tynwald Day (5th July or closest working day, our national day).
Old 19 Jan 20, 09:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Juliemack
waiting impatiently...!

Juliemack's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
I work in local government and the annual leave allowance is the only perk we get these days. I get 32 days plus bank holidays, we close down over Christmas but we have to take it as unpaid leave (spread across the 12 months). We also get 2 days Flexi, which I make sure I get every month. I know that is not technically leave as we have to work the hours to get the time for the days off, but that is easily done with the workloads some of us have.

Edit - wow, just worked out that I am off on leave for just over 12 weeks (5 days = working week) every year

Edited at 10:00 AM.
Juliemack is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 20, 09:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Lell
Imagineer

Lell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
England & Wales get 8.
I work for the NHS in Scotland and we get 8 public holidays, 2 at Christmas, 2 New Year, Friday and Monday at Easter, 1 in May and 1 in September.
DLP (Disney Explorers) Sep 2004, DLP (Sequoia Lodge) Sep 2007, Disney CSR/Universal RPR Oct 2010, Disney AKL Oct 2012, Doubletree by Hilton at Seaworld Oct 2014, West Coast Road Trip 2017, Florida Road Trip 2018, West Coast Road Trip 2019, East Coast/Canada Road trip 2022, National Parks Road Trip 2023
Lell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 20, 10:02 AM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I get 31 and all the English BHs.
Old 19 Jan 20, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
daisymae
Imagineer

I get 164.5 hrs as I work part time. It equates to 33 days plus 8 bank holidays (I don’t work bank holidays) I don’t work Fridays. If a bank holiday lands on my work days I have to put that down as a holiday but if they land on a Friday (although they are called bank holidays about 4 of them are not on actual bank holidays) I get that as extra holidays. This year due to Xmas, New Year and May Day?and one of our other bank holidays I have 4 extra days this year.
daisymae is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List