Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 19 Jul 18, 02:50 PM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by theCMG View Post
Tried the kombucha again this morning and it's growing on me I can't quite bring myself to say it's nice but it is strangely satisfying now that I'm hungry
So not hoping housekeeping takes it then!?!🤣
Loving the updates you’ve had some amazing food...I could just eat the fries and cheese sauce...
OB1LukeLucas is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 18, 07:41 PM  
Link to this Post
2019DisneyEvans
Excited about Disney

Brilliant report so far. I’m liking the look of that meat! Can’t wait for the next instalment 🤪
2019DisneyEvans is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 18, 08:29 PM  
Link to this Post
mexico07
VIP Dibber

Following, loving it so far , funny thing is we have Ohara booked for the first time this year but I just noticed the other night that Fogo de Chao is on magical dining in September and was seriously considering cancelling Ohara and doing this as it’s freat value for $35 , sorry should explain it’s the same as Texas de Brazil! It looks really good and I think you have made my mind up I’m definitely doing one of them , looking forward to the rest keep up the good work and have a fantastic time xxx
mexico07 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 18, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Great start! Got to love an IHOP breakfast but not sure about watermelon cabbage hoisin juice 🤢.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 18, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Originally Posted by hipthehippo View Post
Ummm - I believe it's fermented tea and is supposed to have (unproven health benefits) such as... "cure asthma, cataracts, diabetes, diarrhea, gout, herpes, insomnia and rheumatism. They are purported to shrink the prostate and expand the libido, reverse grey hair, remove wrinkles, relieve haemorrhoids, lower hypertension, prevent cancer, and promote general well-being"

So if you morph into an immortal super hero while you're out there, could you let the rest of us know and we can join your evil-busting club (in between working, running a household and dragging up sprogs )? Thanks!
Hmm, thank you. I'd like to experience at least 4 of those benefits. If I do become a superhero I hope to have better powers than resistance to piles and a shrunken prostate otherwise I could only save the world if it involved sitting on an cold surface for an extended period (perhaps if an interdimensional portal opened up in Canada?). I'll keep you posted

Originally Posted by collybird View Post
Argh how have I missed this!?

I love your t-shirt and the idea of the challenge, I’m excited to see how you get on.

Hope you’re having a fab time!

The food in Club looks great, I think I’d order all those things if they were on a menu.

I didn’t think much of Chick-Fil-A’s burgers but the strips and the sauce are to die for!
Thanks for reading, I'll have to think of a more attention grabbing title Chick-fil-A sauce needs to be available everywhere (I will have a look in WalMart). Loved your first report, will start updating on the t-shirt challenge soon, first trip to EPCOT tomorrow

Originally Posted by MissFortune View Post
Best food report ever & we're still only on day 1.
Uh oh only one way to go from here Flattered but not convinced!

Originally Posted by OB1LukeLucas View Post
Loving the updates you’ve had some amazing food...I could just eat the fries and cheese sauce...
That cheese sauce was amazing it had some tang to it too. I've not tried the Disney plastic cheese yet so not sure if it is as good as Taco Bell's. If it is I'm there!

Originally Posted by 2019DisneyEvans View Post
Brilliant report so far. I’m liking the look of that meat! Can’t wait for the next instalment 🤪
Keke's to follow soon then rest of today much later on. Thanks for reading

Originally Posted by mexico07 View Post
Following, loving it so far , funny thing is we have Ohara booked for the first time this year but I just noticed the other night that Fogo de Chao is on magical dining in September and was seriously considering cancelling Ohara and doing this as it’s freat value for $35 , sorry should explain it’s the same as Texas de Brazil! It looks really good and I think you have made my mind up I’m definitely doing one of them , looking forward to the rest keep up the good work and have a fantastic time xxx
I've heard that Fogo de Chao is good too. Great to have you along for the trip

Originally Posted by sha9 View Post
Great start! Got to love an IHOP breakfast but not sure about watermelon cabbage hoisin juice 🤢.
ihop was good but the kombucha is a bit special, I'm now considering trying a different flavour next time we go to a supermarket

Edited at 11:00 PM.
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 18, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Breakfast - Keke’s Breakfast Cafe (Dr Phillips Boulevard)

For those who like to keep track this is day 2 of the holiday proper (Thursday) and we finish up this brief offsite section Friday morning when we move to Disney and the Yacht Club for 10 days. The final section is 3 days at Universal

Now the thing that always strikes me about Keke’s is scale. Just how big are those pancakes because they look freaking enormous! But how freaking enormous?
A classic from Father Ted

To avoid any small and far away confusion I’ve enlisted the help of my colleague/key ring Admiral Snackbar (pictured below). Guidance from an Admiral will obviously be invaluable in the Yacht Club. Meantime he can start helping with his other function which will be to provide scale where a sense of scale is needed. Pictured here next to a normal sized (330-355ml) soft drink can.
The Admiral is on the left

I mention him here because well, Keke’s obviously. I’ve been looking forward to trying this breakfast chain ever seen first spotting it in one of dixonsontour’s excellent $100 reports. Love pancakes, love big food etc. and looking forward to the family’s reaction to this I think it embraces the true spirit of the report

So to Keke’s for breakfast. Really nice; new'ish looking unit out in Dr Phillips. I like the fact that they have an open kitchen which you wouldn’t normally find at an inexpensive breakfast place. Always reassuring to see people cooking!

The service was great throughout and they were over very quickly to pour coffee for DW and I and to bring water for DD. The menu features waffles, pancakes, french toast and omelettes in the main plus a couple of wraps and other things. DD opted for a chocolate chip waffle:

She enjoyed this, smearing the whipped cream all over the waffle and almost finished it. I tried, it was okay but fairly similar to my 2 Chocolate Chip pancakes. I ordered these with a side of bacon (we also had a side of sausage for the table).

The pancakes are as massive as advertised. Here’s where I trialled the Admiral in his role of scale guide and while it may possibly work (see below) I felt a right plonker trying to do this when no-one was looking and doubt I will repeat it

It’s a Stack!

These were good but not exceptional. They were apparently even thicker than usual and tbh it’s just too much pancake. The chocolate chips are small by comparison, and you’d need a good litre of syrup to properly douse these!

They were tasty but TBH I easily preferred the ihop pancakes. Got through about half before calling it a day, one pancake would be about right.

DW ordered a ‘genius’ i.e. two slices of dry white toast, two poached eggs and butter on the side. I’m hoping it will eventually evolve into the Blues Brothers famous diner order of ‘Dry white toast, four whole fried chickens and a coke’. We’re a third of the way there.

As you can see, Keke’s deviated from the minimalist responses of their competition and chose to add not only the sprig of parsley as predicted by Kat11 in an earlier comment but also (much to DW's distress ) a pile of breakfast potatoes and a slice of orange. We had in some way been upgraded on the quiet an official combo but the server was too nice to make it worth arguing about for the extra dollar or so, it’s not like what DW orders is ever actually on the menu so…

Anyway she liked the eggs and the toast and also ate some of the sausage. I tried the potatoes and they were decent albeit I’m not a breakfast potato fan generally. Her plate today looked a lot better than usual.

The bill came to $37 which is significantly more than yesterday’s - we ordered too much here, $8 on the sides wasn’t needed and we could have argued about DW’s dish. Take those off and you can clearly have a very good value breakfast here.

Lunch to follow much later on this evening. It’s a quick stop at Buffalo Wild Wings then a visit to Ghirardelli at Disney Springs

Edited at 10:45 PM.
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 18, 09:58 PM  
Link to this Post
wilma-bride
Imagineer

wilma-bride's Reviews
I love a Keke's breakfast - to be fair, their waffles and (stuffed) French Toast are the real winners though.

Most importantly, did the table enjoy its sausage?
wilma-bride is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 18, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Excellent use of the Admiral!

Trip Report Index
sha9 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 18, 10:50 PM  
Link to this Post
derenstar
Apprentice Imagineer

Wow! I’m really, really enjoying your reports, they’re so funny and engaging. Loving all the memes too.

Your lunch at Texas de Brazil looked amazing, we love that style of food so I’ve added it to our list of places to try next visit. We’ve eaten at both Rodizio Preto and Rodizio Rico in London on a few occasions which seems to have a very similar menu. I agree it’s very easy to OD on meat though!

Hmm, not sure about your strange watermelon/cabbage/ hoisin brew but glad it grew on you in the end. We still haven’t tried Kekes, we’re strictly IHOP people. I mentioned to DH about trying somewhere else and he looked at me like I’d gone mad . Sounds like we’re not missing much from your review.

Keep you updates coming, they’re ace!
derenstar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 18, 10:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Planning
Imagineer

Don't give up on the admiral too soon, it's too early to tell the real benefit of the scale we are getting 😉

Kekes is on our list, although I seem to remember a picture of a pancake covered in strawberries and cream 😋
Disney Planning is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List