Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 24 Jul 18, 04:29 AM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Lunch - Cantina de San Angel, Liberty Inn & Yorkshire County Fish Bar (& Boulangerie des Halles an Artisan de Glaces too!) (EPCOT Mexico, USA, UK, France)

We headed to EPCOT for lunch with the plan of blitzing the World Showcase t-shirt challenge. I took care of Mexico:

EPCOT t-shirt challenge 6/22

EPCOT t-shirt challenge 7/22, Mexico done

Tacos trio from Cantina de San Angel which is the very popular Mexico Quick Service at the side of the water, nice breezy outside seating area. The tacos came with rice and black beans and I added an unpleasant side of nacho cheese. The Taco de Barbacoa (beef) was by far the nicest, really tasty, the chicken and fish ones were just ok.

I then picked up a lime and cucumber margarita from the Choza de Margarita stand on the other side of the path. This was also okay, little bit of chilli round the rim of your standard margarita. Both items came in at around $14-15 each which is a few $ too much.

DW meantime tidied up the UK with a portion of chips from the Yorkshire County Fish Bar. She paid $4 but could actually have used a snack credit here neither of those options appears on the listed menu.
EPCOT t-shirt challenge 8/22, UK done

The chips were not good apparently. She also picked up the usual Jamesons and Diet Coke from Rose and Crown and then walked across to France for her Napoleon, snack credit (would have cost $4.25).

She loves these. The chips/jamesons/napoleon circuit is one that we’ve seen before and may see again on her non park days.

DD was responsible for the USA which meant the largely unloved Liberty Inn

EPCOT t-shirt challenge 9/22

EPCOT t-shirt challenge 10/22, USA done

This was a chicken burger and fries plus diet coke for a total of $15.75. I resisted the urge to coerce her into getting the cheeseburger for t-shirt/burger accuracy because as we both agreed that would have been bad parenting so we have to count this! I drank the diet coke. The chicken burger was considered reasonable if on the dry side and the chips were edible. She rated Cosmic Ray’s marginally better for a quick service meal. The place was dead by the way!

Oh and DD had a snack credit chocolate ice cream from les Artisans des Glaces too.

Good but chocolate on the rich side so could have used a second scoop to add vanilla (single scoop only for a snack credit).

That’s it for now. We’re 10/22 on the EPCOT challenge (done UK, USA, France, Morocco, Mexico) so in good shape but I wish we’d used a couple of TS credits instead of paying cash Animal Kingdom afternoon and Tiffins dinner to follow tomorrow. Thanks for reading and commenting.
The Prisoner of Vineland Mall (2019) Orlando passion, romance and fine dining...ok so it's mainly eating
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing!
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it

Edited at 04:39 AM.
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 18, 08:30 AM  
Link to this Post
wilma-bride
Imagineer

wilma-bride's Reviews
Those chips from the Yorkshire County Fish Shoppe look really overdone - even a good dose of malt vinegar probably couldn't save them.

Some good eats and drinks there though. I love the ice cream place in France - that chocolate gelato looks so rich.
wilma-bride is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 18, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Mobile

That s’mores cake looks good shame it wasn’t as good as its appearance. Don’t know if it’s just me but I’ve not encountered a Disney cake that is as good as it looks.
Basic stuff like cookies, muffins and the banana nut bread things are always great but the cakes, meh!
Enjoy Tiffins, the lobster popcorn soup and the octopus are the starters we have always enjoyed there.
Old 24 Jul 18, 12:26 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

That fillet slider actually looks divine, I really liked those Boathouse rolls so I’m drooling thinking about it!

The s’mores brownie looks very yummy too. Sad to see your Kona ADR go, I wanted to go for breakfast this year but we’ve done it before with my mum so I’ve gone for ‘Ohana in the spirit of variety.

The taco trio really appeals to me, nice to see a review of it. Those chips from the UK look absolutely rotten, I’d be ashamed serving those up, the oil badly needs changed.

A Napoleon has been on my must try list since our 2013 trip and I’ve never got around to it, I must rectify that this year as I am planning in a breakfast in France.

We like Liberty Inn, lots of seating, nice and bright dining airy, safe food, you can’t really go wrong as far as I’m concerned.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 18, 12:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Pez01
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by theCMG View Post
Not at those prices no we'd maybe pay it as a one-off for a special occasion but otherwise would want to pay half for that level of quality and wouldn't do it every night never mind twice in one day ordinarily.

Yes it's scary expensive and I'm not looking forward to the tips bill We could have ordered again at CG we knew that but DW was feeling sick and I didn't feel like making everyone wait bearing in mind there was still dessert to come and I could have gone back to the buffet if needed (also I did eat half of my average omelette).

Monsieur Paul has been around for ages but has never been that high profile because it's tucked away and the menu looks fairly inaccessible. The food did make up for the atmosphere definitely but both would have been the best

Hadn't realised they weren't on Tables in Wonderland that's nuts with an empty restaurant. Too much competition at EPCOT and you wonder if this will survive when they open a signature in Japan (that is bound to be good). And yes I think you should stick with the CG dinner which seems to be the go to meal there at the moment

OMG you are right She's asleep now but I'll have to ask her if that was intended, I actually interrupted her rearranging the plate to take the photo!
Donald? Are you in there?

Thanks for reading and great comment

Very good tip from you and Collybird (and any others if I missed mentioning you here )

Let us know how it went Who was your server?

The Turtle was great although such a giant piece of ice cream it was hard to make a dent! Sorry that my review was too graphic, I'll try to tone it down because I don't want to make anyone queasy. The server realised we hadn't enjoyed the mains but I think read the table and decided not to push it which was fine for us.

Hopefully le Cellier will be great and the sea bass was a wonderful dish, the sauce especially is lovely. Biergarten I fear I may miss out on yet again, need to check the credits situation and make sure we don't fall behind! Deluxe is a marathon not a sprint we're learning today we OOP'd a couple of things that I've realised we should have used credits for

Dude I ended up ordering the tasting menu ... and loved every mouthful ... my new favourite restaurant at Disney ...

2001 Sheraton International Drive
2016 Caribbean Beach Resort
2017 Port Orleans Riverside
2018 Port Orleans Riverside and Hard Rock Hotel
2019 Port Orleans French Quarter and Hard Rock Hotel
2019 Disneyland Paris Disneyland Hotel
Pez01 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 18, 08:19 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Originally Posted by wilma-bride View Post
Those chips from the Yorkshire County Fish Shoppe look really overdone - even a good dose of malt vinegar probably couldn't save them.

Some good eats and drinks there though. I love the ice cream place in France - that chocolate gelato looks so rich.
The chips were so dry you could have rubbed two together and started a fire.
Including this for political balance after using the Ed Milliband bacon sandwich

And I didn't try the chocolate ice cream but DD still scoffed it

Originally Posted by Rescuer View Post
That s’mores cake looks good shame it wasn’t as good as its appearance. Don’t know if it’s just me but I’ve not encountered a Disney cake that is as good as it looks.
Basic stuff like cookies, muffins and the banana nut bread things are always great but the cakes, meh!
Enjoy Tiffins, the lobster popcorn soup and the octopus are the starters we have always enjoyed there.
Absolutely, the infamous Disney dessert flavour vacuum, often they've been in the fridge so long that any flavour has long departed! Tiffins the lobster popcorn soup was not on the menu I would have definitely gone for that!

Originally Posted by collybird View Post
That fillet slider actually looks divine, I really liked those Boathouse rolls so I’m drooling thinking about it!

The s’mores brownie looks very yummy too. Sad to see your Kona ADR go, I wanted to go for breakfast this year but we’ve done it before with my mum so I’ve gone for ‘Ohana in the spirit of variety.

The taco trio really appeals to me, nice to see a review of it. Those chips from the UK look absolutely rotten, I’d be ashamed serving those up, the oil badly needs changed.

A Napoleon has been on my must try list since our 2013 trip and I’ve never got around to it, I must rectify that this year as I am planning in a breakfast in France.

We like Liberty Inn, lots of seating, nice and bright dining airy, safe food, you can’t really go wrong as far as I’m concerned.
Oh the fillet slider was heaven, if we ever go back to Boathouse no-one is touching the rolls during the actual meal Was keen on the Kona visit but it was in the middle of a run of early starts and reality kicked in the night before, nah too far away

The tacos were good but the beef is definitely the way to go, Napoleon's in France are good but one of many great choices in what is now my favourite food pavilion Don't get me started on the chips the fryer has one job, one job! Liberty Inn was fine but to me it feels like cheating to eat in there with so many exotic options around, appreciate it's different when on DDP though! A very nice calm spot so I can see why you like it.

Originally Posted by Pez01 View Post
Dude I ended up ordering the tasting menu ... and loved every mouthful ... my new favourite restaurant at Disney ...
Glad you liked it, we were tempted but it was too late and too much money! DD reading is not happy with me being called dude
The Prisoner of Vineland Mall (2019) Orlando passion, romance and fine dining...ok so it's mainly eating
Scream if you want to go Fatter! (2018) This report contains images some dieters may find distressing!
The 12 Days of Easter (2015) Rumoured to contain up to one good joke. Let me know if you find it

Edited at 08:45 PM.
theCMG is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 18, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
- Great rides
- Pongu Pongu
- Boba Balls Episode 1

After lunch we moved over to Animal Kingdom. First fastpass was perfect for avoiding a shower as we waited for Festival of the Lion King, never seen before - great show. We then moved to Pandora for our Flight of Passage (wow, just wow ). Followed this with a visit to Pongu Pongu for drinks:

I thought about a snack; but I've had Pongu Lumpia before. Thankfully it cleared up after a course of antibiotics. So we stuck to drinks. DD and I shared a snack credit Night Blossom, DW tried the Moara Margarita. Both drinks were gorgeous in appearance and tasty.
Moara Margarita and Night Blossom

They are strong flavours however and reasonably big, sharing is a good option IMO. The Boba balls are really nice BTW but I can't help feel for my old friend Boba Fett (he's from Star Wars mum, from STAR WARS)

I then discovered that you could load up a Boba ball and fire it at DW through the giant straws. Sadly she retaliated but didn't clear the straw first so I got the ball and a large shot of strawberry margarita over me spending the rest of the day smelling like Lotsohugging bear.

Boba was not impressed either

Will come back to Tiffins in the main review but for now covering that we did the safari at dusk and had amazing views of the animals, saw just about everything and great views of lions, rhino etc. Superb. DD and I also fitted in It's Tough to be a Bug which is fun and an underrated attraction for me. After that on top of an early dinner we were knackered and headed back home after a very quick look at Pandora. It was before the night luminescence really kicked in but we were no good for waiting for that or Rivers of Light today.

To be continued...

Edited at 09:00 PM.
Old 24 Jul 18, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Bad laughing at the Boba Ball memes. I really enjoyed the night blossom drink but I got a mixture of balls which was fab...I nearly choked on them a few times so had to be careful! Thankfully none were shot at me😮
I love a Napoleon, I must try them with the Jameson’s & chips combo next time...not that the chips looked good, mine were great when the fryer was cleaned in June!
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 18, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
theCMG
Imagineer

theCMG's Reviews
Originally Posted by OB1LukeLucas View Post
Bad laughing at the Boba Ball memes. I really enjoyed the night blossom drink but I got a mixture of balls which was fab...I nearly choked on them a few times so had to be careful! Thankfully none were shot at me😮
I love a Napoleon, I must try them with the Jameson’s & chips combo next time...not that the chips looked good, mine were great when the fryer was cleaned in June!
I'm hoping to complete the saga of Boba's quest to get his balls back later. No idea where it will go next but we're back at AK on Sunday so will try to wrap it up then Actually the balls are surprisingly delicious, I was expecting to hate them.

Edited at 08:58 PM.
Old 24 Jul 18, 09:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Planning
Imagineer

Love AK, it's tough to be a bug is good fun and the lion king show is always spectacular.

You can't go wrong with a selection of desserts from the French patisserie, you may have guessed I have a sweet tooth 😃
Disney Planning is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List