Go Back   theDIBB > Walt Disney World and Other Florida Vacation Planning > Car Hire & Transportation
Forgotten Password?
Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Unread 8 Dec 19, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
#1
YorkshireT
VIP Dibber

 
YorkshireT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 16
Location: God's Own Country
60 minute wait times reported for Magical Express

On Facebook today. This is unacceptable for anyone, never mind getting off a transatlantic flight.
__________________
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Coast2Coast incl Grand Cali+Copper Creek
Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Dec 19, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
#2
chmurf
Imagineer
 
Join Date: Dec 12
I'd be quite careful using the word "unacceptable"

it should not be that long, but, it might be on point to add that, DME is a complimentary service, and a non mandatory one.
If the line is too long to get the FREE transport, there is always uber, lyft, taxi, towncar, and probably more.

and if I say "non mandatory one" it's because guests might also have experienced a 60 minutes wait at immigration, and that one is mandatory (and not free, since you pay for immigration as part of your airplane ticket, check taxes breakdown, as well as the need to do ESTA for $14 to be granted the privilege to even be in that line)

so well, while I agree it's a pain, and it should not happen, I would be very careful with the use of "unacceptable"

and, ... well, if that's not acceptable, that's when I arrange my own transportation, complain later at my hotel if need be, but I'd never enter a 60 minutes line when there are all the means in the world to avoid entering that line

sorry, that was just my reaction about the issue.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Dec 19, 03:12 PM  
Link to this Post
#3
YorkshireT
Thread Starter
VIP Dibber

 
YorkshireT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 16
Location: God's Own Country
Originally Posted by chmurf View Post
I'd be quite careful using the word "unacceptable"

it should not be that long, but, it might be on point to add that, DME is a complimentary service, and a non mandatory one.
If the line is too long to get the FREE transport, there is always uber, lyft, taxi, towncar, and probably more.

and if I say "non mandatory one" it's because guests might also have experienced a 60 minutes wait at immigration, and that one is mandatory (and not free, since you pay for immigration as part of your airplane ticket, check taxes breakdown, as well as the need to do ESTA for $14 to be granted the privilege to even be in that line)

so well, while I agree it's a pain, and it should not happen, I would be very careful with the use of "unacceptable"

and, ... well, if that's not acceptable, that's when I arrange my own transportation, complain later at my hotel if need be, but I'd never enter a 60 minutes line when there are all the means in the world to avoid entering that line

sorry, that was just my reaction about the issue.
DME is part of Disney's business model- you pay for it in the hotel price, and the main reason behind it for them is that they keep you onsite where you spend all your money. Nothing Disney gives anyone is 'free'. People are promised a service by a multi billion dollar company, which was implemented by them to increase their revenue, and said service should be of an acceptable level.

Also personally as a DVC member I pay dues for transportation and upkeep of the car parks. I do not believe (I could be wrong) that my DVC dues also go to pay for MDE (think it is just internal transportation but as I say I could be wrong), but by me not parking my car, I am then freeing up a parking space, which I have paid for, which Disney can then charge guests or visitors to Boardwalk etc $25 a night for.

So MDE should not have a wait time of 60 mins in my view.
__________________
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Coast2Coast incl Grand Cali+Copper Creek
Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Dec 19, 03:21 PM  
Link to this Post
#4
sha9
VIP Dibber

 
sha9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 08

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
DME is part of Disney's business model- you pay for it in the hotel price, and the main reason behind it for them is that they keep you onsite where you spend all your money. Nothing Disney gives anyone is 'free'. People are promised a service by a multi billion dollar company, which was implemented by them to increase their revenue, and said service should be of an acceptable level.

Also personally as a DVC member I pay dues for transportation and upkeep of the car parks. I do not believe (I could be wrong) that my DVC dues also go to pay for MDE (think it is just internal transportation but as I say I could be wrong), but by me not parking my car, I am then freeing up a parking space, which I have paid for, which Disney can then charge guests or visitors to Boardwalk etc $25 a night for.

So MDE should not have a wait time of 60 mins in my view.
I totally agree. Disney are charging for parking at the hotels now and encouraging the use of Disney transport instead. This is not a good advert for DME. I thought 30 minutes wait was bad enough!
__________________
Lisa

Dining Reports
2011,2012, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
Trip reports
2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Where are we staying in 2020?
Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Dec 19, 03:24 PM  
Link to this Post
#5
Posiesmum
VIP Dibber

 
Posiesmum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 02

Posiesmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 3
Mobile

We waited 45 minutes last October. Definitely unacceptable.
__________________
Visiting Florida since 1992
Retired and loving it!
Villefranche-Sur-Mer, Cte dAzur - May 2020
Med Cruise from Southampton - Britannia September 2020
Florida for Christmas - December 2020
Posiesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
A peaceful week in Nice
Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Dec 19, 03:25 PM  
Link to this Post
#6
YorkshireT
Thread Starter
VIP Dibber

 
YorkshireT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 16
Location: God's Own Country
Originally Posted by sha9 View Post
I totally agree. Disney are charging for parking at the hotels now and encouraging the use of Disney transport instead. This is not a good advert for DME. I thought 30 minutes wait was bad enough!
And, as no doubt you are fully aware, the real reason they are charging for the car parks (albeit a good side effect is all those $20/$25 a night) is to discourage you from taking that car, and spend all your money on huge margin food and products in WDW instead of offsite.
__________________
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Coast2Coast incl Grand Cali+Copper Creek
Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Dec 19, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post
#7
grommitt
Helping Minnie
 
grommitt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 15
Perhaps the delays are planned so that on arrival you have already exsperianced your first que of many
grommitt is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Back again
Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Dec 19, 04:40 PM  
Link to this Post
#8
YorkshireT
Thread Starter
VIP Dibber

 
YorkshireT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 16
Location: God's Own Country
Originally Posted by grommitt View Post
Perhaps the delays are planned so that on arrival you have already exsperianced your first que of many
There is now a stand with water at $8.99 and Mickey Pretzels with 'beer' cheese dip at $15.99 adjacent. A new pass- 'Magical Express, Express' can now be purchased, must be bought for both ways, for everyone in party, at $99. Includes free cupcake.
Note - Magical Express will be unavailable on 22,23,24 December, due to 'Magical Express Party Bus' where guests will be able to enjoy a tour of resorts, then straight to the DVC centre, where they will be given a tour of the rooms and asked to sign a contract by Scrooge McDuck. Price is $199, plus tax plus gratuity. Under 2 week olds are at a reduced rate of $189.99, birth certificate must be presented to secure discount.

And before anyone gets alarmed- I am joking! I think...
__________________

Edited at 04:43 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Coast2Coast incl Grand Cali+Copper Creek
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump

Holiday to Florida with Florida4less

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin - Copyright © 2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
KLOOK

theDIBB Menu


US Dollar Rates
Covent Garden FX  $1.2696
FAIRFX  $1.2465
John Lewis  $1.2631
M&S  $1.2427
Post Office  $1.2299
Sainsburys  $1.2531
Travelex  $1.2477
Updated: 13:02 29/02/2020

theDIBB Charities
Cancer Research UK
DIBB Members have Donated: £10,130
£


Macmillan Cancer Support
DIBB Members have Donated: £1,085
£

Euro Rates
Covent Garden FX  €1.1475
FAIRFX  €1.1325
John Lewis  €1.1512
M&S  €1.1335
Post Office  €1.1179
Sainsburys  €1.1431
Travelex  €1.1305
Updated: 13:02 29/02/2020

Orlando Weather
Florida Time
Sat 29th Feb 8:13am
Now: 10C/50F
Broken Clouds
Broken Clouds
Cloud Cover: 75%
Wind: 5mph - NW Arrow points to where the wind is coming from.
Pressure: 1026mb
Humidity: 100%
Illuminations Smoke
Updated: 13:00 29/02/2020