Go Back   theDIBB > DIBB Community > DIBBing > General Chat
Forgotten Password?
Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.
Unread 16 Jan 20, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post
CAD
Helping Mickey

TV/Broadband - Retention deals

I know I saw a thread on this about three or four months ago. However, was interested to see other peoples experiences/offers.

My contract with Sky is due to end on 6th February. So I rang up on the 6th Jan to see what they could do. Could offer me a small discount on the increased amount (and way over what they were offering new customers), so I gave my 30 day notice.

I contacted them again last week, and their offer went back up to the full price offer. So given the deals on offer from other providers admitted defeat.

Last week I switched to Virgin which is saving me around 10 a month against my original deal (and around 25 a month against their "new" offer) for much the same channels, faster internet and weekend calls (which I won't use).

As part of a flash sale they credited my account with 150 (paying for my first two and a bit bills) and did it via top cash back for 170 (although it appears not to have tracked so in dispute with them at the moment). They also waived the set up fee.

Disappointed that Sky couldn't/wouldn't offer anything but there loss.

Any decent deals around recently?
CAD is offline Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 20, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post
pompeyboy
slightly serious Dibber

It's a bit late for you but you really do have to bluff them, give them notice, then leave the ball in their court, wait for them to call/email or a letter and if they offer a good deal, which they normally do, accept it or let the clock tick down.

Perhaps not easy if you have all your services with one provider, as there could be a delay in getting a new service set up but I use Sky for tv and mobile and Virgin for bb so got a bit of wiggle room if they won't play ball.
pompeyboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 20, 11:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

My husband has just had exactly the same with 3 mobile. They didnt even send a text to let him know his contract was up. He only discovered by chance and when he rang, they told him that if he hadnt have rung, his bill would have continued to be 45 (even though hes now paid for the phone). He told them hed found a good deal online with them (3) and could they match it. They refused point blank. Theyve also said he cant get the deal hes seen online and keep his old number which means (if thats true) he cant get the deal hes seen and will have to go with another provider. Loyalty means nothing to these businesses!
Unread 17 Jan 20, 09:17 AM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

I had the same issue with sky, they couldn't or wouldn't reduce the bill down to what they offer new customers. Cancelled broadband and phone straight away (EE are terrible so will be moving again) and gave my 30 days notice when my contract expired.
They tried to offer me a deal - not a good one but i said no and declined their offer to speak to retentions.
I now have netflix but dont watch that much on it, currently have a free trial of prime but that is a load of pooh too.
Going to try out Now tv but EE broadband is rubbish in my view so will impact on it.

Just moved to three, had been with O2 for about 20 years but they couldnt get anywhere near the offfer i got. 12 times the amount of data that i can use in Orlando for less money and not able to use data in Orlando.

June 2006, August 2007, September 2018, January 2019, September 2019
lizzie145 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Back to Disney
Unread 17 Jan 20, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by CAD View Post
I know I saw a thread on this about three or four months ago. However, was interested to see other peoples experiences/offers.

My contract with Sky is due to end on 6th February. So I rang up on the 6th Jan to see what they could do. Could offer me a small discount on the increased amount (and way over what they were offering new customers), so I gave my 30 day notice.

I contacted them again last week, and their offer went back up to the full price offer. So given the deals on offer from other providers admitted defeat.

Last week I switched to Virgin which is saving me around 10 a month against my original deal (and around 25 a month against their "new" offer) for much the same channels, faster internet and weekend calls (which I won't use).

As part of a flash sale they credited my account with 150 (paying for my first two and a bit bills) and did it via top cash back for 170 (although it appears not to have tracked so in dispute with them at the moment). They also waived the set up fee.

Disappointed that Sky couldn't/wouldn't offer anything but there loss.

Any decent deals around recently?
Ringing up to see what they can do and chasing back is an error. Let them do the chasing, this just flags on their system that you will likely renew.
Unread 17 Jan 20, 10:46 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

Had no issues with Sky as an existing customer recently was coming to the end of my deal and called them with a price to match a competitor for TV and they beat it easily. Less than half price for the package I have and took over the Netflix bill, so over 70% off.

May have helped I was also moving to Sky Q but that was discounted as well under the Sky Experience offer.

One thing with Sky is that often the normal customer services people can't offer the best deals. These come from the retentions team, so refusing the offer to be put through to them is self defeatist if a deal to stay is your objective.

Unfortunately we can't get Virgin where we are. I would consider it as Sky are useless when it comes to implementing technology. Their UHD is the very basic, they have no support for HDR and looks like it is going to be delayed until 2021, Sky Italy already has it and so does Virgin.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Back to the West Coast
Unread 17 Jan 20, 04:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Mickie
Very Serious Dibber

Mickie's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

From my experience of leaving or threatening to leave Sky (BB and TV) Virgin TV and BB Virgin mobile, and NowTV over the years you need to know your best deals and options when you first call. Ideally you need to get put through to retentions or even better the cancellation teams. They usually have better offers. And you need to keep saying no its too expensive I dont really watch it for TV-unfortunately doesnt work so well for BB and mobile-they know you need the service and they know how much data etc you need! Use a service like ismybill fair. My bills are usually the lowest in there so I know when to stop haggling!
Mickie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Bahama Bay
Unread 17 Jan 20, 04:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
VIP Dibber

Beth_Disney's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I phoned Sky on Wednesday to cancel broadband and line rental as our fixed offer is nearly up and I wanted a package that includes BT Sport (WWE has moved from Sky Sports to BT Sport and hubby watches it). We'd done our research first and worked out that Plusnet was the cheapest way to do it.

The retention team looked at my package and asked what figure I'd got in mind to stay with Sky so I explained the numbers I'd calculated and she beat it by a few as long as I re-contracted to TV/talk/broadband for 18-months. I think it's definitely worth researching first and having some figures ready. I was also serious about leaving if the price couldn't be matched or beaten. Unfortunately, these big companies don't seem to acknowledge loyalty so they're not getting mine!
Beth_Disney is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Wrestlemania 36 and Orlando
Orlando Attractions