Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 2 Sep 19, 06:56 PM  
Link to this Post
bernard301
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

To be honest I had some similar concerns over properties on HomeAway in the Davenport area, multiple listings, same photos, too good to be true pricing and poor communication from those listing the property.

The thing is that there is such a great availability of property that if you smell a rat or even think you do, walk away
bernard301 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 19, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post
lesley1960
Imagineer

Mobile

You can get caught out on othet letting sites , my brother and his family arrived in Florence for a 2 week stay to find the apartment he had booked didnt exist. Luckily the booking site found somewhere else for them

We have had no problems ( so far !)
lesley1960 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 19, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

We were going to book Airbnb for Tokyo next year but I just saw too many pictures of places apparently furnished from a skip. And read too many stories about when it goes wrong. It started off as a great idea but it’s become a big money maker.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 19, 10:08 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

We visited Anaheim and stayed in an absolutely beautiful flat in the ‘platinum residential area’.
Trouble was that when we were met at the gate, the letter informed that short term let’s were not allowed and that if challenged we were to say that we were his personal friends, staying at no cost.

As it was 1900 and my options were somewhat limited, I had to go along with it and the stay passed without incident.

Due diligence are the key words and as a retired DC, I should have picked up on this issue. It is hardly as if the research would have been difficult. I was simply lazy on this occasion.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 19, 02:43 PM  
Link to this Post
01Car
Excited about Disney

A few years back my daughter and some friends travelled to Manchester to visit another friend who was working there. They rented an apt through AirB&B. When they arrived it didn’t look as if the place had been cleaned since the previous renters. It was just for one night so they thought they’d just make the best of it. They went out for a couple of hours in the afternoon and on their return they couldn’t get into the flat, the concierge informed them that the locks had been changed! Apparently the guy they rented from didn’t own the flat, he was just renting it. He’d been told previously not to do that but carried on regardless. They were locked out with no way of getting in and all their belongings and train tickets inside. They got in touch with Air B&B who arranged a hotel for them for the night and they were able to claim back for the stuff they had to buy. They had to buy new train tickets and one of the friends had to stay until Monday to gain access to the flat and their belongings. Friends dad had to drive to Manchester to pick her and all their belongings up. They got all their money refunded plus compensation. They’ll be more careful next time.
01Car is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 19, 03:05 PM  
Link to this Post
cybermum
Imagineer

cybermum's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4
This is why I tend to only rent from Superhosts and also look for listings with images with the 'verified by Airbnb ' logo so they have been checked.
cybermum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 19, 03:32 PM  
Link to this Post
evergreen
Imagineer

Mobile

We used a super host l, very good experience
Old 3 Sep 19, 03:54 PM  
Link to this Post
LOU LOU DISNEY
VIP Dibber

Feeling nervous now as I’m staying in my first Airbnb for 5 nights starting Friday in Brooklyn. My friends booked it & they’re quite savvy as that’s all they book when they go abroad but it’s my first time as I always choose hotels. The apartment they’ve booked is gorgeous & 4 bedrooms & lovely garden so hoping all is ok with everything.
Thanks for the heads up.
LOU LOU DISNEY is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 19, 12:23 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cybermum View Post
This is why I tend to only rent from Superhosts and also look for listings with images with the 'verified by Airbnb ' logo so they have been checked.
This person is listed as a superhost, but still the pictures are 100% not of the property. There’s nothing at the given address on google maps (2019 images) that looks like it, and the images are 100% a property miles away as they are on that developers website, and the actual building is visible on google maps there. So how come no review mentions this? Bizarre. So does being a ‘superhost’ actually mean a thing?
Old 29 Sep 19, 05:26 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Sound familiar!
dailymail/news/art...penthouse.html