Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 16 Jan 22, 06:57 AM  
Link to this Post
DISNEYALI
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Mobile Anyone had bariatric surgery in Turkey

It's not for me my colleague at work told me last night but she is going to Turkey to have 80% of her stomach removed.
I was quite shocked because she is only 22 and has been refused for surgery in this country. She's going to Turkey because it is only £3,000 I think she said compared to the £10k in this country.
I must admit I am concerned for her she has said she's tried to lose weight in the past then only managed to Stone she said she weighs circa 20 stone.
Although her mother doesn't agree with what she's doing she's going to support her by going with her.
I am frightened and on her behalf if you know what I mean I was very shocked when she told me.
Basically has anybody had experience of this and is there Healthcare of a good standard I am worried that things could go possibly wrong in a foreign country for her.
Thank you for listening and any comments left
DISNEYALI is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 22, 07:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Princesses 3
Very Serious Dibber

My niece was intending to go to turkey but it went on the red list at the time. She went to Egypt instead and although I had similar concerns all was ok and she’s since lost 7 st and couldn’t be happier. I know loads of people who’ve done it now and it’s becoming such a popular thing to do but is a major and total life change.
One of my biggest concerns was how quickly she was released from hospital and on a plane home after such a major operation
Princesses 3 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 22, 08:48 AM  
Link to this Post
louiseybobs
Imagineer

louiseybobs's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
I was looking at a company called Longevita for my tummy tuck (I have lost 8 stone and have loose skin) and it looks amazing, my neighbour
went for a hair transplant and said the service was outstanding, you have a personal assistant the whole time you’re there, they pick you up from the airport, settle you into your hotel, take you to your appointments etc. sounds amazing
Old 16 Jan 22, 09:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Its all fine unless you have any complications after you return to this country, then it is difficult to get any kind of follow up care.

As an example, my mum had breast reduction surgery and had a severe allergic reaction to the stitiches afterwards, causing a dangerous infection, and had to have another operation to resolve it. Nobody foresaw this happening.

For many it would be straight forward and thats great, but my worry would be what if…

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 22, 09:29 AM  
Link to this Post
babbymint
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Loopylooloo View Post
Its all fine unless you have any complications after you return to this country, then it is difficult to get any kind of follow up care.

As an example, my mum had breast reduction surgery and had a severe allergic reaction to the stitiches afterwards, causing a dangerous infection, and had to have another operation to resolve it. Nobody foresaw this happening.

For many it would be straight forward and thats great, but my worry would be what if…
Due diligence will show about aftercare and any follow up guarantees for a private practice abroad. Immediate care such as treating an infection will be provided by nhs, this would apply whether the surgery was done by a private hospital abroad or a private hospital in the uk.
babbymint is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 22, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post
stacy87
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by DISNEYALI View Post
It's not for me my colleague at work told me last night but she is going to Turkey to have 80% of her stomach removed.
I was quite shocked because she is only 22 and has been refused for surgery in this country. She's going to Turkey because it is only £3,000 I think she said compared to the £10k in this country.
I must admit I am concerned for her she has said she's tried to lose weight in the past then only managed to Stone she said she weighs circa 20 stone.
Although her mother doesn't agree with what she's doing she's going to support her by going with her.
I am frightened and on her behalf if you know what I mean I was very shocked when she told me.
Basically has anybody had experience of this and is there Healthcare of a good standard I am worried that things could go possibly wrong in a foreign country for her.
Thank you for listening and any comments left
Not Turkey, but I had a gastric sleeve in Egypt by a wonderful surgeon. It was quite a strange experience, and I’m the last person on earth who would’ve gone abroad for surgery, but I had no viable options left.

As long as she has done her research on the surgeon, which I’m sure she has. These operations of course are big operations, but the majority of the time, they go well and recovery is actually pretty smooth! My personal experience was that I had no complications. Once I was discharged from the hospital after 2 nights, I chose to stay in a nearby hotel (which my surgeon recommended just incase any assistance was needed). On the evening I left the hospital I was struggling to keep any fluid down. I was being sick constantly. I got in touch with my surgeon and his team who got back to me within minutes, and it turned out my stomach just wasn’t keen on cold drinks that day! I switched to hot water and was absolutely fine from that day.

It’s such a big decision to make to have this kind of surgery, and a lot of people don’t agree with it, we always get comments from people who will say we took the easy way out. I had my sleeved in November 2020 and have lost almost 8 stone. It has been hard, no doubt. You still have to put in work to make the surgery successful. But I’d recommend it a million times to anyone who might be considering it. It has changed my life for the better, and I’m so grateful to my surgeon, who I am still in touch with 😊

Sorry that was quite long, but I just wanted to give my experience. I am in a support group on Facebook for those considering or who have had weight loss surgery, and there are so many who go abroad to wither Turkey or Egypt for their surgery.
Coronado Springs - May 2024
All Star Movies - Jan 2025
stacy87 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 22, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
GoldenAvalanche
Imagineer

A friend of mine went to Egypt, she was quite poorly when there but I don’t think anything went wrong perse. She’s looking fantastic now so it all worked out. The thought of being ill in another country fills me with dread.
GoldenAvalanche is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 22, 11:20 AM  
Link to this Post
scottishmum
Imagineer

scottishmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
My friend (not seen for 20 years though) has just had this done last Monday in Turkey too.
I messaged her on Thursday and the op went well. She was due to fly home to Scotland yesterday.
She said she has tried to diet for 35 years and this is her last resort. She’s 51.
Old 16 Jan 22, 03:51 PM  
Link to this Post
returnplanning
Imagineer

Originally Posted by babbymint View Post
Due diligence will show about aftercare and any follow up guarantees for a private practice abroad. Immediate care such as treating an infection will be provided by nhs, this would apply whether the surgery was done by a private hospital abroad or a private hospital in the uk.
A reputable private operator in the UK would also cover aftercare in its prices. On the NHS, it would be expected that there would be follow up with the unit that did the surgery - the NHS funds this because there is the potential for difficulties to arise, especially a few weeks after the operation. Generally most surgeons would like to look after any complications arising from an operation they had done - and that's clearly not feasible if you are in a different country.

Even if bariatric surgery was done privately, it is likely that the surgeon will have an NHS clinic (as most private hospitals do not give practicing rights to consultants without NHS jobs), so you could be followed up there if you hadn't paid for aftercare - although a quick Google of private bariatric surgery suggests that they would expect you to commit to follow ups as it is expected in terms of quality standards - the aftercare of bariatric surgery patients is also incredibly important.

nice.uk/guidance/qs1...iatric-surgery

Obviously many operations go perfectly well - in fact the vast majority. I'd be cautious in having an operation where aftercare is considered so important in a location where that aftercare was not easily accessible.
Old 16 Jan 22, 03:59 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

My brother had private treatment in Turkey recently at a private clinic. Now admittedly my SIL is Turkish so was able to get personal recommendations and was asked to stay with him for his stay to avoid any language barrier (with the nurses, the doctors all spoke fluent English) but the doctors all seemed very competent and seemed to have mostly trained in the US and several practice there as well as Istanbul. Obviously like here all private clinics are not the same.
From an op point of view a colleague had the same surgery a few years ago (in the U.K.) ,the weight loss was amazing but overall her health has suffered and just this week she was back in hospital again with gastric complications . It isn’t a minor op or without long term risk.

Edited at 04:01 PM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List