Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 8 Feb 21, 10:35 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

It is good that you are thinking about coping mechanisms now, because just not doing stuff is not an option going forward. She will come across more and more triggers in her life... avoiding people and situations becomes life limiting. Imagine her going off to uni and having to eat alone...

She needs to learn to control "the rage" (those of us with misophonia all feel it, it is one of the things that help define it)... to realise that it is she who has the problem. She has to realise that people are doing NORMAL things, it is hard, but reminding herself of that should help.

I distract myself, thinking about something else, looking somewhere else, shouting in my head, all help me focus elsewhere. (I also now have tinnitus which is a blessing in disguise, focusing on the ringing takes away from the problem noises)

It is worth speaking to a doctor, and using the word misophonia, just to get it investigated in case any health issues are causing it.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 21, 11:17 AM  
Link to this Post
FeFe
VIP Dibber

FeFe's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by sunseeker100 View Post
yes I suffer really badly from eating and any mouth noises. I remember when I was little I could not stand to be in the same room as my parents eating. they didn't eat like pigs or anything but my dad had some false teeth and they clicked. Oh my god I wanted to rip my ears off! I spent my teenage years eating in my room lol When I look back though I feel really mean because I know I used to glare at them and they used to mention it at times. They probably just thought I was being horrid and I had no idea then that it was a 'thing', just that I couldn't stand it.

I think the worst is when I can't get away, trains especially. being in a carriage with a noisy eater is horrendous. I get the sweats and can feel my heart beating faster, think it's the fight or flight response. On one journey we were sat opposite a family of 3 young boys and a woman, who I assume was their mother. She just sat on her phone all the time chatting or taking selfies and doing face time, whilst her offspring proceeded to eat all sorts of crispy things whilst spitting them at each other and smacking lips.

funnily enough my new kitten sounds like a hippo eating but it doesn't trigger me at all
This sounds like it was written about me! I was the same when little! I still can’t stand to be in the room with certain folk eating crunchy things. I won’t do it in front of folk either though. What’s irrational is it also depends on the person. I don’t notice in my kids but my partner drives me mad lol Snoring too. I ended up sleeping in a different room from my ex as I could’ve easily have suffocated him. The rage is ridiculous!
Clicking keyboard on a mobile phone drives me up the wall too. My kids say I can hear anything so do t know if it’s because it’s particularly good that everything is amplified.
June 14 New York and Summer Bay
May 17 DIBB villa and Hard Rock
March 18 Hotel Metro New York
October 18 Majorca
June 19 Dibb Villa and Hard Rock
June 2022 dibb villa and Hard Rock
June 2024 Heron Villa again hard rock and poss beach club for couple of nights

Edited at 11:27 AM.
FeFe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 21, 11:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Lisa-72
Imagineer

Lisa-72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Mobile

I never knew this was a thing and yes I most definitely suffer from this!
DH triggers it when eating, sniffing or whistling.
It’s like it’s being amplified and drives me mad, I cannot be in the same room when he eats certain things.

Sssshhhh it was a secret, March 2010 Econo Lodge 1st Visit
Lisa-72 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 21, 12:09 PM  
Link to this Post
fefifoe
Apprentice Imagineer

fefifoe's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
another sufferer here. DH eats with his mouth open due to a nasal issue and at times I have to leave the room , the eating noises drive me insane. I get that feeling of the rage building and know if I don't leave the room I will explode at him. He sat eating an ice lolly yesterday and the "crunch crunch crunch" set me off.
Also his breathing again due to his nose issues - some nights I have to get up and sleep elsewhere as he is such a noisy breather - add to that his snoring issues and we quite often sleep in seperate rooms!
We live on a busy road which is quite wide and the local yobs like to race their cars up and down it on their way through and the engine and exhaust sounds are another of my triggers - hubby doesnt even notice it most nights but it winds me up no end.

Hubby laughs when I complain about noises - he just doesn't understand how it makes you feel.
Old 8 Feb 21, 12:17 PM  
Link to this Post
HelenLime
Apprentice Imagineer

My family warn me when they are about to eat apples because I have to go upstairs away from the crunch.
Crisp eating on the bus, train or in the office are another source of extreme angst for me.
It looks faintly ridiculous when you see it written down but the struggle is real.
HelenLime is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 21, 01:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Mary A
Imagineer

Mary A's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Floridadreams View Post
I’ve just come across this thread as we believe my daughter has misophonia. It started being an issue (well one we were aware of) during the first lockdown, really came to a head in August and has continued at various levels since then. Her trigger is eating noises from the rest of us in the house. She gets angry and upset if it’s too much.
Does anyone have any tips for coping? She is 12 and I think hormones might be making it particularly bad this week! Plus there’s the potential anxiety from this lockdown etc. She wants to try to carry on with family dinnertime. We currently have music on and last night she wore silicone earplugs and was like a different child. But then someone has now said that could make it worse for her because it could make her eating sounds a trigger 🙈🙈🙈
DH said to check out the misophonia institute, lots of useful information
Misophoniainstitute.org

His triggers are multiplying each year - if I'm in the kitchen I have the radio on and if we want to chat the radio is switched off as he can't concentrate with background noise now.

Eta - I now close doors too loudly!

First visit 1989, last visit March 19. Next holiday Washington, Key West & Orlando May 20. Planning Hawaii for March 21

Edited at 02:28 PM.
Mary A is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 21, 01:21 PM  
Link to this Post
disney_l81
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Mary A View Post
DH said to check out the misophonia institute, lots of useful information
Misophoniainstitute.org

His triggers are multiplying each year - if I'm in the kitchen I have the radio on and if we want to chat the radio is switched off as he can't concentrate with background noise now.
I get that because my hearing is bad- I cant have a conversation with someone else whilst the TV is on ( it's on loud as I cant heat it even with my hearing aids) so I have to turn the TV off and that annoys hubby then.
disney_l81 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 21, 01:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Universal VR
Imagineer

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
I am also insanely irritated by jiggling - especially of feet - especially when wearing brightly toed socks! Or even the sound of a socked foot rubbing against our wooden coffee table puts my teeth on edge.
Oh, I’m with you there! OH jiggles his feet when he’s sitting in the lounge. I can no longer be in the same room. Once he starts, I can’t see or concentrate on anything other than that foot! You’d think it was an inch from my face the way I carry on!
Old 8 Feb 21, 02:10 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

The worst thing for me is the extractor over the hob in the kitchen. I don't turn it on if I can help it but I can guarantee that DH will walk in the kitchen and turn it on no matter what I am cooking. The noise of it makes me so stressed and angry. I have tried explaining but he just looks at me like I am barking mad. Also the little pppffft sound he makes when he is sleeping. I even come downstairs and sleep on the sofa some nights so that I don't suffocate him!
marypoppins38 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 21, 02:23 PM  
Link to this Post
kzrr02
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Oh wow I didn’t know this was a thing. Just thought I must be getting old and grumpy. Some of what you guys described like loud eating, cars with those stupid exhaust noise, eating in cinemas really trigger me. I have to distract myself when someone pours a drink. Aargh I hate that noise . Funny though, I can handle DH snoring and his whistling.
kzrr02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List