Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 3 Aug 21, 11:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Dollymixture
Excited about Disney

Day 19: Bamburgh Castle and Angel of the North

I have been really looking forward to today! After seeing Bamburgh Castle on a few trip reports, I had to add it to the itinerary and keep fingers crossed for a sunny day.

We were very lucky and left behind a cloudy Edinburgh this morning and arrived to a very warm and sunny Bamburgh!
The drive took us along the east coast and there were some lovely coastal views along the way.
When we arrived in Bamburgh and first caught sight of the castle, it took my breath away - it’s a wonderful castle, but the setting with the beaches, sea and countryside all around it, makes it very special

I thought we were going to have a nightmare parking, but despite looking like a full car park, there was plenty of space.

We had booked our tickets to the castle online a few weeks ago which was just as well as it is fully sold out for the next few days.
The tickets cost £39.10 and the dogs could come in for free.

I was a bit worried that we might be a bit ‘castled’ out after seeing Edinburgh Castle yesterday, but Bamburgh is so different, with such a relaxed vibe, it felt completely different. There were much less people there and lots of grassy areas where you could just sit and admire the views.

We had a really relaxing time… you could really tell that it was limited capacity, it felt like there was hardly anyone there and we had no problems finding places to sit, etc. We enjoyed some cakes, scones, sausage rolls and ice cream in the tack room cafe. The scones in particular were amazing!

We also had a look around the aviation museum - only small, but some interesting exhibits.

Mostly though we just really enjoyed the views and the setting! It was just what we needed after a busy day in Edinburgh.

We left Bamburgh feeling really content - it was a great place to stop on our way to Durham, of course the sunshine made it even more special

We continued on our way to Durham and hit a bit of traffic due to road works, nothing too major. We stopped at the Angel of the North, which was on the way and only 15 mins from Durham.
It was about 6pm by the time we got there and it was still really sunny and 21°C. There is a little car park right by the Angel and we parked easily.
The Angel was so impressive up close - it’s huge and with the sun setting behind it, looked amazing! The photos don’t do the sheer size of it justice!

It was a lovely place to just sit in the sun and Lila and the dogs enjoyed a run around on the grass.

Koolie flew the drone and got some amazing shots!

Spot the drone!

Again, it was a really good stop and thoroughly enjoyed by us all and a beautiful place to enjoy the warm evening sun.

We arrived in the Durham Travelodge at around 8pm and ordered some pasta dishes to be delivered to the hotel.

Tomorrow we were going to go to Beamish, but decided that we would rather do it properly when the Covid restrictions have eased and the trams are running and new parts open.
Instead we will probably take a walk around Durham world Heritage site and then in the evening I’ve booked the cinema and Dalton Park.

Edited at 12:08 AM.
Dollymixture is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 21, 11:48 PM  
Link to this Post
levtweeney
Imagineer

levtweeney's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
What a fantastic day. Those pictures of the AotN with the drone are amazing. There are some fab walks along the river Wear in Durham and you can hire boats at Browns Boats, which is really fun if you had time. Enjoy your day tomorrow, it’s going to be hot 👍

Browns boats
Old 4 Aug 21, 09:01 AM  
Link to this Post
mrsdjh
Imagineer

The drone shots are great.
mrsdjh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 21, 08:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

You have been really lucky with the weather. I’ve only glimpsed the Angel of the North from the motorway.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 21, 11:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Mental Minnie
VIP Dibber

Amazing day again. The drone photos of the Angle are stunning. I would love to see it up close. You are lucky your children stay still for photos, all I get of ours is action shots. lol
Old 5 Aug 21, 03:53 PM  
Link to this Post
JudeB
Imagineer

JudeB's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
Loved the drone photos!
Old 5 Aug 21, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
P&S
Imagineer

What a fantastic day you had, never been to Bamburgh Castle or seen The Angel of the north up close, there are some gorgeous pictures of your children
Old 6 Aug 21, 07:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Dollymixture
Excited about Disney

Ahh mine were like that when they were younger - it’s taken a lot of training to bet them to pose nicely for a pic 😂
Now they know how persistent I am and the quicker they get on with it the quicker they’re done lol
Originally Posted by Mental Minnie View Post
Amazing day again. The drone photos of the Angle are stunning. I would love to see it up close. You are lucky your children stay still for photos, all I get of ours is action shots. lol
Dollymixture is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 21, 07:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Dollymixture
Excited about Disney

We really have been so lucky -we used to holiday in the UK quite often when the kids were younger but it rained pretty much every single time - not just showers but proper rain that makes everything a washout… it put me off eventually! I am so thankful we have had sunshine almost every day

Originally Posted by Pumpkin Pie View Post
You have been really lucky with the weather. I’ve only glimpsed the Angel of the North from the motorway.
Old 8 Aug 21, 06:34 PM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Beautiful Bamburgh, I’m pleased you enjoyed your time in my home county.
Stunning photos of the Angel too. I hope you get the chance to visit more of Northumberland when you come to Beamish-I think you would have enjoyed it but it’s definitely better with the full experience.
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List