Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Jan 22, 12:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile BTEC sport BTEC public service

My middle don needs to choose subjects for college. We should find out next week what he got in his mock exams, so far he has got his double science back which was 3/3 😬 he needs 4/4 to pass. We know he is on the cusp for most subjects but definitely won’t pass RE.
His dream job would be a fire fighter, then prison officer. His passion is sport, he is incredibly fit, loves training and very health wary (food etc).
Without going into too much detail, he has two choices for college; 6th form at his current school or wigan warriors college.
6th form only do level 2 public service, they have said he can do this along side level 3 sport (equivalent to 1 A level) plus one more BTEC of his choice. So he would get 2 ‘A’ level equivalent and 1 GCSE equivalent.
At wigan Warriors he would be doing level 3 sport equivalent to 3 ‘A’ levels. The beauty of this is that they train in the morning and do lessons in the afternoon. But he feels more confident at his current school (doesn’t like change).
Has anyone done sport? What have you/they gone on to do?
Even though he struggles with academic work he wants a good career with future prospects.
He definitely won’t do a degree, that would be too hard.
Its a shame because he will be an asset to any work place, his work ethic is second to non, but his academic side is very low.
In my day this wasn’t an issue, you got by on your personality etc
I am worried he won’t even get an interview because on paper it doesn’t look good 😖
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 22, 01:09 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Hi FT, I know someone who studied at Warriors. He struggled a little academically at school but really thrived when he went to Warriors and really enjoyed it. He went on to play rugby.
I know John Rigby does the BTEC sport too as I know a couple people who have studied it there.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 22, 01:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by marypoppins38 View Post
Hi FT, I know someone who studied at Warriors. He struggled a little academically at school but really thrived when he went to Warriors and really enjoyed it. He went on to play rugby.
I know John Rigby does the BTEC sport too as I know a couple people who have studied it there.
He took an instant dislike to John Rigby so definitely won’t go there 😂 he can walk to Deanery 6th and Wigan Warriors so they are ideal. My nephew has signed for Wigan and I know they help a lot with the students which Max would enjoy. Its just if you are not good enough to go pro which Max isn’t, what else can you do with sport 😬
Its a fantastic set up at Wigan with small classes and high pass rates 👍🏻 Max is so happy at Deanery though he would prefer to stay there but he has to move on at some point x x
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 22, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

My eldest son did sport in college and after he finished his course he worked in quite a few gyms for experience until he was confident enough to start his own business as a personal trainer.
He’s been self employed now for around 15 years and as well as doing one to one sessions he does boot camp sessions and boxing lessons.
A few years ago he was a coach on a programme called Zero to Hero which I think was on TV
Old 21 Jan 22, 01:23 PM  
Link to this Post
pinkbelle
Imagineer

My husband was a Firefighter, his station had a very active Fire Cadets, I don’t know if that is something your son might be interested in?
This is the information from his old fire service, but you could check in your area

dsfire.gov.uk/education/join-fire-cadets
pinkbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 22, 01:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Taffy1959 View Post
My eldest son did sport in college and after he finished his course he worked in quite a few gyms for experience until he was confident enough to start his own business as a personal trainer.
He’s been self employed now for around 15 years and as well as doing one to one sessions he does boot camp sessions and boxing lessons.
A few years ago he was a coach on a programme called Zero to Hero which I think was on TV
Thats brilliant 🤩
Old 21 Jan 22, 01:25 PM  
Link to this Post
jasminedivas
Apprentice Imagineer

jasminedivas's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
My DS is in his first year of the BTec sports coaching course at a local 6th form college and he loves it. He’s doing the level 3 and has to go in 4 days a week, he then has a job on his day off which works really well for him.
He loves sport and is so glad he is doing the course, he did level 2 BTEC PE at school and only had one practical session a week, now he does something everyday and the college facilities are much better too.
He didn’t have a 6th form at his school, I do think it does them good to go to college they have a bit more freedom than school, the teachers treat them differently and use the first names which makes them feel a bit more grown up.

Comfort Inn LBV 1999, All Star movies 2003/4/6. Villas 2007/8/9/10/12. Wash DC NYE 2012, NY and LV 14. Orlando, NYC & IAD 15, Orlando & beach 16,17. NY & IAD 2019. West coast 2022 planned.

Edited at 01:27 PM.
jasminedivas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 22, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post
jasminedivas
Apprentice Imagineer

jasminedivas's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I’ve just had an email from my sons college as they are talking about removing BTEC qualifications, here’s the link to the petition to hopefully stop the government withdrawing funds for them. A levels aren’t for everyone and BTEC’s have suited both my children, it will be a great loss if they get rid of them.
petition.parliament.uk/petitions/592642

Comfort Inn LBV 1999, All Star movies 2003/4/6. Villas 2007/8/9/10/12. Wash DC NYE 2012, NY and LV 14. Orlando, NYC & IAD 15, Orlando & beach 16,17. NY & IAD 2019. West coast 2022 planned.
jasminedivas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 22, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
He took an instant dislike to John Rigby so definitely won’t go there 😂 he can walk to Deanery 6th and Wigan Warriors so they are ideal. My nephew has signed for Wigan and I know they help a lot with the students which Max would enjoy. Its just if you are not good enough to go pro which Max isn’t, what else can you do with sport 😬
Its a fantastic set up at Wigan with small classes and high pass rates 👍🏻 Max is so happy at Deanery though he would prefer to stay there but he has to move on at some point x x
My DS took an instant dislike to JR too, he said there is no chance of him going there.
There are loads of opportunities within sport... gyms, coaching, sports development etc.
I know it will be a big change for him to move to Warriors but it might be a blessing in disguise in that it would show him that he can fit in anywhere and it could really give him confidence. If he doesn't want to go on to play pro the teachers may well have a lot of connections in the area when jobs come available when they see the potential Max has.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 22, 01:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

I agree it will do him good to try somewhere new, it would definitely help his confidence.
My daughter is extremely clever, did fantastic in everything but she is absolutely useless! She is lazy and so unorganised. Its surprising how siblings can be so different 😂😂