Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 9 Aug 19, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Split Croatia June 2019 ~ Day Four ~ Split

Index

We all slept in a little later today, as we didn’t have to rush up to catch a bus as we were spending the day in Split. We wanted to explore the city a little more and also do some gift shopping for ourselves and family. We had coffees and got ready before strolling into the city.
We leisurely made our way into the Old Town as it was already starting to get very hot. I took some more photos of the Old Town.

As we meandered around the Old Town we stopped in quite a few shops along the way. We really liked the small shops in Split that sold nice tourist gifts, not just tacky souvenirs (although they sold those too) I treated myself to a wooden spaghetti measurer as we’ve needed a new one at home. I’d wanted to buy one in Venice the year before but had decided not to as they seemed expensive at around £10-£12. However, in Split, my spaghetti measurer only cost around £4 and it was just as good quality. In the same shop we bought two small bars of dark chocolate flavoured with lavender for ourselves and our son. This chocolate tasted really weird, I don’t think any of us really liked the lavender flavour.
We then visited the Game of Thrones shop again, as we wanted to buy something so that we could have our photo taken on the Iron Throne (Rob had been dying to have his photo taken there). The souvenirs in this shop are very expensive but for us it felt worth it as they allowed all of us to have our photos taken there despite only buying one fridge magnet. I’ve never seen Dad so excited as he was to sit and have his photo taken here. He was as excited as Mum and I are at Disney World.

We then wandered to a few more shops where I bought a Split Christmas tree bauble, as I like to collect these from places we visit. From the same shop I bought a pin, as I collect pins from around the world.
We then walked around Diocletian’s Palace area and into the basement to look around the stalls here. I bought a cat shaped trinket dish here for around £3-£4 which was handmade and I love. I also bought a dragon egg candle for my son and his fiancée as they are GoT fans too.

We exited the palace via the Golden Gate and we walked up the steps next to the Gregory of Nin statue. Dad stopped to rub the statue’s toe for good luck as we were there (he hadn’t wanted to unnecessarily climb stairs to do it though haha)

We browsed around the stalls selling art here before heading into the outdoor market area, known as the Green Market. The fruit and vegetables on sale here were beautiful and we couldn’t resist buying some. I chose a cup of assorted berries for us all to share which cost around £2.50. This wasn’t a very big cup but it was delicious and the fruit was so fresh. Even I enjoyed eating the berries, despite the fact that at home I won’t eat much fruit.

At the market we also bought two tea towels, one for Georgia for university and the other for our son and his fiancée.
It was starting to get very hot now so we decided to wander back to our apartment for lunch. We stopped at the supermarket to buy a few things to add to the food we already had.
Back in the apartment, we ate the cheeses, cold meats and crackers that we had and drank the ice coffees that we had bought in the supermarket for lunch.

After lunch we relaxed in the airconditioned apartment for a while before heading out to Bacvice Beach. We only took our towels to the beach today as we all wanted to go in the sea (so excuse the lack of photos) We spent about two and a half hours at the beach, in the sea and relaxing. We had bought a ball earlier in the day and we enjoyed taking this into the sea with us and playing catch. It was a very relaxing way to spend the afternoon.
We went back to our apartment at 5:30pm, showered and changed ready to go out that evening. We had planned to go back to one of the restaurants that we had eaten at before but both of these were full so we walked further into the city and decided to eat at a restaurant in Fruit Square called Favola. We sat in the outside area, although we had little choice as to where we sat as it was very full with only a few spare tables. There was a large choice of foods on the menu so it took us a while to decide what we wanted to eat. I chose the pasta with beef tenderloin and truffles. Rob had the burger and fries and I had spaghetti in a creamy sauce with prosciutto and truffle. The meals were delicious here and definitely one my favourites of the trip. Rob’s burger was slightly disappointing as it was served covered in BBQ sauce and Rob doesn’t really like this, but it was still a delicious burger.

Despite having eaten these large meals, Georgia and I decided to have dessert. There was tiramisu on the menu, how could I say no? So, Georgia ordered the tiramisu and I had the panna cotta with raspberry coulis. This was such a good dessert and one of the best tiramisus that I’ve ever had (and I’ve ate a lot of tiramisu) My dessert was also delicious and huge although I did manage to eat most of it.

This point might not be interesting to many people (or anyone really) but I wanted to tell my story haha. Mum and I really enjoy watching Shadowhunters on Netflix as I’m a big fan of the Mortal Instruments book series. So, we were very excited when our waiter at this restaurant looked very similar to Simon Lewis from the show. I’m sure he noticed that we were very obviously looking at him throughout the meal.
This meal came to around £63 including a few rounds of drinks and a tip for Simon 😉
We decided to have a walk around the Old Town in the evening after our meal as it was so pretty at dusk. Rob stopped once again to have his photo taken by the Game of Thrones museum.

We took some photos in Diocletian’s Palace, which was even busier now than it was in the day.

We made our way back to our apartment, where we performed our usual routine of sitting on the balcony with a few drinks before heading to bed.

The next day we went on the Blue Lagoon Three Island Boat Trip
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 19, 04:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

What a lovely day! The evening meal looks delicious - especially the desserts!

I have to admit that the GOT references are lost on me 😜

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 19, 04:54 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
What a lovely day! The evening meal looks delicious - especially the desserts!

I have to admit that the GOT references are lost on me 😜
All our meals were excellent in Split, but I felt this one was possibly the nicest (along with the one in Trogir).

I agree about GoT, I sat on the throne thing and was laughing as I had no idea of the relevance of it 😂 When I came home a friend said she was so jealous of me sitting on the throne and had sworn when she saw my FB pic of it as she knows I haven’t watched it 😀
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 19, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Looks like another lovely day. We’re big GOT fans so I am very jealous of you getting to sit on the iron throne!
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 19, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Beautiful.

I can see it was warm as you can almost see the heat coming off the pavements - but what was the temp.roughly when you were there and did it feel a true temp. We were just in Seville and it was around 40 but felt like 45 because of the pavements and the lack of wind.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 19, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by CrispyA View Post
Looks like another lovely day. We’re big GOT fans so I am very jealous of you getting to sit on the iron throne!
Rob really appreciated the throne far more than Georgia and I did 😀
Old 9 Aug 19, 09:22 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Originally Posted by FamilyGWales View Post
Beautiful.

I can see it was warm as you can almost see the heat coming off the pavements - but what was the temp.roughly when you were there and did it feel a true temp. We were just in Seville and it was around 40 but felt like 45 because of the pavements and the lack of wind.
Wow 40° is too hot for us! It was around 32-34° for our whole trip but it did feel very hot when we were out with no shade. The skies were clear as you can see from the photos, so barely any cloud cover

We find that we try to walk in the shade of buildings whenever we can in cities which helps a bit. There were two ways to walk into Split from our apartment, one was along the main road past the bus station and the ferry port where there was barely any shade, the other was through the narrow back alleys which had more shade so we tended to use this route.

The day we went to Krka we found climbing the steps really difficult in the direct sunlight, but once we got to the lake area, there was more tree cover so we walked in the shade as much as we could

The beach was particularly nice this afternoon to cool off in the sea 😂

Edited at 09:25 PM.
Old 9 Aug 19, 09:42 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Excellent. I am a definite shade hunter 🏖️ beach sounds good option too when hot.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 19, 08:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Fabulous day and some great shopping finds too! Now I feel I need a spaghetti measure - I always cook way too much...😂

Split is so beautiful. Your dinner looks amazing too, especially the desserts 🥰

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 19, 08:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by FamilyGWales View Post
Beautiful.

Hi! Sorry to go off topic, but we are going to Seville in September for three nights (no kids yay) any tips or recommendations? I got a fab deal on the hotel Alfonso XIII, which I wanted to stay at for the big pool. We have no idea where to go or to eat, we wont have a car. Hope its not 40 degrees!

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816

Edited at 12:51 PM.
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List