Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 19 Feb 18, 11:24 PM  
Link to this Post

Doha - Any/All Advice Please!

Hello all!

SO...I am trying to talk my DH and DS (11) into coming with me to Doha this October. But when I look online...it doesn't seem like there's a lot to do.

I want to attend the World Gymnastics Championships (but DH and DS would rather stick forks in their eyes). Can folks out there suggest some things (MANY things would be good - the competition is more than a week long) for the chaps to do?

I am more than a bit embarrassed to admit that I assumed Doha would be like Dubai - full of touristy this-and-that...but...erm...no.

The lads are up for pretty much anything - except golf.

ALL advice/tips welcome - thank you in advance!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 18, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkermom
Apprentice Imagineer

Sorry probably not what you want to hear but having been there on business I wouldn’t be in any rush to go back. Absolutely nothing like Dubai or even Abu Dhabi. Not very western friendly I found and I definitely wouldn’t recommend going on your own. I’m with your family, I’d rather stick pins in my eyes!

Before they build the new airport you literally had to crouch over a hole in the ground to relieve yourself... this is still the case in certain places.
Old 20 Feb 18, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post
BONZO
Imagineer

I don't think you'll find a huge amount apart from a out of town water park and dune bashing.

1988 ~ Contemporary ~ Honeymoon
1989 ~ Off site
1994 ~ EuroDisney ~ Santa Fe
1999 ~ Off site
2001 ~ CBR (Aruba) ~ Poly (Tahiti)
2003 ~ WL & HRH
2004 ~ Pop Century, RPH, CSR, PBH, Contemporary
2006 ~ DLP ~ Newport Bay
2007 ~ POR ~ HRH ~ GF
2008 ~ All star sports, BCV, RPH, Vero Beach, VWL
2010 ~ OKW ~ BCV ~ HRH ~POP Century ~ Vero Beach ~ VWL
2013 ~ AKL ~ HRH ~ BCV ~ Vero Beach ~ VWL
BONZO is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 18, 07:09 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Tinkermom View Post
Sorry probably not what you want to hear but having been there on business I wouldn’t be in any rush to go back. Absolutely nothing like Dubai or even Abu Dhabi. Not very western friendly I found and I definitely wouldn’t recommend going on your own. I’m with your family, I’d rather stick pins in my eyes!

Before they build the new airport you literally had to crouch over a hole in the ground to relieve yourself... this is still the case in certain places.
Originally Posted by BONZO View Post
I don't think you'll find a huge amount apart from a out of town water park and dune bashing.
Oh, crap.

Thank you both for your feedback. As you say, Tinkermom - I don't fancy going out there as a woman on my own. But neither do I want to lug my fellas with me if there's nothing for them to do. "A water park and dune bashing [whatever that is, lol]"...doesn't seem like much of a list to take to DH.
Old 24 Feb 18, 06:43 PM  
Link to this Post
macdonald88
Imagineer

I used to live there when I was younger and I have been visiting back or forth as my dad has worked there for the last 20 years. I have never felt unsafe going about on my own. I would add a trip to the Museum of Islamic art (free) and the exhibits are worth a visit. Souq waqif is just across the road, a lovely walk down the corniche, plenty of malls (bath and body works), a trip out to the dessert. I admit not too much to do but a good few chill days round the pool and malls and endless food opportunities. Where about are you staying? PM me if you want.
macdonald88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 18, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post
happytraveller
Imagineer

Doha was on my radar for October staying at Sharq Village! It looked fantastic. The only reason I didn't go for it is because I dithered and BA took the price from £1,800 half board for me and DS to £2,500 room only I really liked the look of the mall with the Gondolas as well as the other things mentioned too. I'm a single mother and I don't have any worries about safety that I wouldn't anywhere else.
happytraveller is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 18, 10:18 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by macdonald88 View Post
I used to live there when I was younger and I have been visiting back or forth as my dad has worked there for the last 20 years. I have never felt unsafe going about on my own. I would add a trip to the Museum of Islamic art (free) and the exhibits are worth a visit. Souq waqif is just across the road, a lovely walk down the corniche, plenty of malls (bath and body works), a trip out to the dessert. I admit not too much to do but a good few chill days round the pool and malls and endless food opportunities. Where about are you staying? PM me if you want.
How kind of you.

If we go, I will be at the gymnastics every day. It's DH and DS (11) who will need things to do...

...and (perhaps unsurprisingly) they aren't shoppers.

I will present them with your list and see if it helps! If it does...I may PM you. Regardless, many thanks.

Originally Posted by happytraveller View Post
Doha was on my radar for October staying at Sharq Village! It looked fantastic. The only reason I didn't go for it is because I dithered and BA took the price from £1,800 half board for me and DS to £2,500 room only I really liked the look of the mall with the Gondolas as well as the other things mentioned too. I'm a single mother and I don't have any worries about safety that I wouldn't anywhere else.
Interesting! Outside of shopping (which my fellas detest) - what did you plan to do with your son away from the resort?

My DH can't swim (I know...how do you grow up on an island and not swim? ) - and so "pool time" is not something that appeals to him.

But I did visit the Sharq Village website - and I agree - it looks lovely!

I just rather assumed (I know ) that it would be like Dubai...
Old 25 Feb 18, 12:09 PM  
Link to this Post
happytraveller
Imagineer

Hi Gopher lass
Perhaps it appealed to me because we're all Dubai'd out,lol. If it was like Dubai we wouldn't want to go. But that's only because we've been a few times and want different. Doha first came onto my radar as a resort to just relax after Japan. I was looking for something to just to do a couple of beach days, visit that mall,not to shop, but it seemed to have quite a few activities in there, a desert safari and the islamic art centre. The airport alone had me sold, lol. Also, I was hoping to laze for a night at the Anatara on Banana Island if I could get it cheap enough.There is also meant to be a falcon market and DS 10 is nuts about them (I begrudgingly did a tour of the Falcon hospital in Abu Dhabi) Also Qatar airways in economy is meant to be really good. This was why when it went up to over 2k I stepped away angry at myself lol and booked Turkey. we were only going for 6 nights though. And DS will be 10 so has to go where I say,lol! My older DS at 18 may not have been so interested. Another draw for me is I wanted somewhere with guaranteed heat in October. In all honesty i'm still watching the price as BA can pull out some blinders in their sales. The next one is at Easter. It will certainly be on my radar for next year as I'm desperate to get over there.
happytraveller is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 18, 08:02 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by happytraveller View Post
Hi Gopher lass
Perhaps it appealed to me because we're all Dubai'd out,lol. If it was like Dubai we wouldn't want to go. But that's only because we've been a few times and want different. Doha first came onto my radar as a resort to just relax after Japan. I was looking for something to just to do a couple of beach days, visit that mall,not to shop, but it seemed to have quite a few activities in there, a desert safari and the islamic art centre. The airport alone had me sold, lol. Also, I was hoping to laze for a night at the Anatara on Banana Island if I could get it cheap enough.There is also meant to be a falcon market and DS 10 is nuts about them (I begrudgingly did a tour of the Falcon hospital in Abu Dhabi) Also Qatar airways in economy is meant to be really good. This was why when it went up to over 2k I stepped away angry at myself lol and booked Turkey. we were only going for 6 nights though. And DS will be 10 so has to go where I say,lol! My older DS at 18 may not have been so interested. Another draw for me is I wanted somewhere with guaranteed heat in October. In all honesty i'm still watching the price as BA can pull out some blinders in their sales. The next one is at Easter. It will certainly be on my radar for next year as I'm desperate to get over there.
Thank you for your detailed reply.

And what I take away from it is this: I might like a holiday like that, but the men wouldn't.

I think I'll play the waiting game and see if the lady I met at the gymnastics last year is going to go...and if she is...then perhaps we will travel together. We'll see what DH thinks of that plan!
Old 25 Feb 18, 11:23 PM  
Link to this Post
happytraveller
Imagineer

Originally Posted by GopherLass View Post
Thank you for your detailed reply.

And what I take away from it is this: I might like a holiday like that, but the men wouldn't.

I think I'll play the waiting game and see if the lady I met at the gymnastics last year is going to go...and if she is...then perhaps we will travel together. We'll see what DH thinks of that plan!
I hope it all works out for you