Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 Feb 18, 01:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Bartswife
Imagineer

I was in my 40s before our first visit, couldn't afford before then, our sons were 11 and 14. We had had a lot of problems and I was quite down in the dumps (putting it mildly) and the minute I walked through the gates to the park I felt the weight of the world lifted from my shoulders. I've never experienced anything like it. I didn't have any worries while I was there. One visit I cried in the park on our last day, just didn't want to return to normality like I feel I've had enough visits for the time being as I want to see other places but hope to go back sometime. Doesn't matter to me what people say or think, our friends continually go to places we wouldn't dream of going to hey they like it so good luck to them, My sister goes to Scarborough every year, visits the same places and I think what a waste but would never think to pass comment to her and hurt her feelings.
Bartswife is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 18, 01:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney2010
Imagineer

Disney2010's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
I think it's sad that people feel the need to comment on other's choices really. Each to their own
We got similar comments from DH's parents when we chose to have a Disneymoon - The old "but without any kids" "aren't you a bit old now" etc etc.

My Mum is nearing 70 & we have discussed doing a large family trip for her birthday - She would love it! Luckily all my side of the family 'get it' & DH is so happy that we introduced him to the world of Disney etc.

Zoe x
Old 23 Feb 18, 01:44 PM  
Link to this Post
liz-paul
Very Serious Dibber

Lol my mum thinks I'm too old for loads of stuff that I like! I went to a walking dead convention last year and almost nobody I know could understand why 😄 The funny thing is I'm actually not at all childish and am fairly serious a lot of the time. But I'm currently wearing my new mickey and Minnie trainers and they make me happy. My mum is vision and I'm sure when she notices them she'll be rolling her eyes and commenting. I just know to accept that she'll always have an opinion on everything I do, I just carry on regardless!
liz-paul is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 18, 01:48 PM  
Link to this Post
MargaretMouse
VIP Dibber

I’m 55, my husband 60 this year and my mum 83,we are all gong to Disney in September. I think you are never too old for Disney, it’s a Magical Place and I feel, like a teenager, when I’m there. I’m lucky all my family are Disney Fans.
Old 23 Feb 18, 02:01 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by MargaretMouse View Post
I’m 55, my husband 60 this year and my mum 83,we are all gong to Disney in September. I think you are never too old for Disney, it’s a Magical Place and I feel, like a teenager, when I’m there. I’m lucky all my family are Disney Fans.
Us too Margaret, I think you are a Disney family or not :-) we're both in our 60s and still love it. I took my mum to DLP twice when she was in her 70s and her favourite things were Small World and Peter Pans Flight, she loved her 2 trips.
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure & POR Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 18, 02:17 PM  
Link to this Post

I am only just growing into Disney at age 47. Had never been somewhere I was particularly interested to go to and have no interest in Disney films and characters (still don’t). We went to Florida for first time in 2015 but went to Universal - Harry Potter World is magical to me.

I don’t know what made me decide to go to Disney last year, but I did get very caught up in the planning which I loved and also we thoroughly enjoyed the trip. But definitely nothing emotional about it for me, don’t find it magical and would never be moved to tears by a fireworks display. But it was just pure fun for us and I have totally got some kind of a bug, particularly for the planning!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 18, 03:08 PM  
Link to this Post
riversider2014
Apprentice Imagineer

Personally i have already outgrown certain aspects of Disney. I've done solo visits in the past and magic kingdom was half a day just to say i'd been there - in fact the majority of the holiday was universal, sea world and busch gardens.

we'll be spending most of our time at MK this year as we have a 5 year old but as the years and visits go by i fully expect the same thing will happen and the only reason to go to that park would be to see a parade and fireworks.

as for the many years into the future when daughter grows up, i very much doubt we'll go back again unless grandkids arrive and we'll be back to pre-child holidays of vegas and tours around the states..

wonder how many likes i'll get for this :-)

March 2015 - http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=865148
riversider2014 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 18, 03:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Squidgyness
Very Serious Dibber

Honestly, people passing judgement on my holidays doesn't bother me that much. I think it's natural for people to have an opinion (though the way they express it could be better in many cases!)

What really bothers me is when that opinion comes from a place of ignorance. It's not even about going to a place - I can make a very sound case for me not wanting to go to destinations without having ever been because I do my research! However, some people who criticise and dismiss Florida holidays don't seem to know anything more about it than "Disney is there and Disney is childish = florida is a childish trip." There is a lot more in florida than Disney!

My real bugbear is people who actually choose to go, don't know what they are doing and can't be bothered to find out and come back to criticise Florida and declare it terrible. It's frankly weird that people don't look into things a bit more when they spend so much money on a trip, and particularly sad when they actually have kids that would love the trip if they had bothered to make an effort of it.

I actually had a friend at school that went and said it was boring, why did I even bother going. I asked about rides, activities and other things, to be told they spent most of it sitting by the pool in the villa. Fine, but don't call it boring then! Gah.

Some complaints I've seen thrown out are so obvious they clearly have actually spent more effort not to find the solution to them. But this is a problem in many other areas too - don't even get me started on silly hotel reviews.
96/98/03/06/09 - Offsite Kissimmee/I-Drive
17/18 - Universal RPR
Squidgyness is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 18, 03:32 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Squidgyness View Post
Honestly, people passing judgement on my holidays doesn't bother me that much. I think it's natural for people to have an opinion (though the way they express it could be better in many cases!)

What really bothers me is when that opinion comes from a place of ignorance. It's not even about going to a place - I can make a very sound case for me not wanting to go to destinations without having ever been because I do my research! However, some people who criticise and dismiss Florida holidays don't seem to know anything more about it than "Disney is there and Disney is childish = florida is a childish trip." There is a lot more in florida than Disney!

My real bugbear is people who actually choose to go, don't know what they are doing and can't be bothered to find out and come back to criticise Florida and declare it terrible. It's frankly weird that people don't look into things a bit more when they spend so much money on a trip, and particularly sad when they actually have kids that would love the trip if they had bothered to make an effort of it.

I actually had a friend at school that went and said it was boring, why did I even bother going. I asked about rides, activities and other things, to be told they spent most of it sitting by the pool in the villa. Fine, but don't call it boring then! Gah.

Some complaints I've seen thrown out are so obvious they clearly have actually spent more effort not to find the solution to them. But this is a problem in many other areas too - don't even get me started on silly hotel reviews.
whilst i see where you are coming from there is nothing worse than getting back from holidays and someone telling you you didnt do it 'properly' / you dont "do it" like that...

ive had this when i said i didnt care much for cruising only to be told is didnt do it "right" !

as for the OP some people are 'disney' people and some arnt

we arent a disney family but have friends who are borderline nuts/obessives, they go every year

each to their own !
novocastrian is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 18, 03:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Friends of ours said they couldn’t have a holiday just going to theme parks. We have never just gone to theme parks but explored the area, having a week at Cape Coral this year. Everyone is different but unless you have been you don’t really know what you are talking about!