Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 24 Feb 18, 12:37 AM  
Link to this Post
3family
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Bridgetx View Post
I have never tipped housekeeping in a hotel. Nor have I ever met anyone that has. And I am very well travelled for business and work as are most people I know. Only place I have even heard of this custom is on this website. I expect the thread will be closed soon.
It’s weird that none of you tip, and that you’ve had conversations about not tipping seeing as you don’t think anyone else does...
Old 24 Feb 18, 01:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Posiesmum
VIP Dibber

Posiesmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 3
Mobile

I travel extensively on business and for leisure and I always tip. Interestingly I think there are only 2(?) posters to this thread that say they don’t so it seems to be fairly widespread.

Villefranche-sur-Mer/Monaco - June and July 2024
Orlando for Thanksgiving - November/December 2024
Belfast/Dublin/Vancouver - June 2025
Posiesmum is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 18, 01:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Every day I leave some dollar bills on the bed with a "Thanks" note.

If on any given day I don't have small change, I just leave more the next.

If someone misses out because they cleaned on Day 1 but not Day 2 so be it. I imagine it all evens up in the end.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 18, 02:07 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by BarryL View Post
I also travel extensively and always tip housekeeping.
It's common practice, not just on the dibb

As said above it's best to do it daily. If you leave it until the end of the week then your regular housekeeper may miss out
I will not be swayed from opinion that this is a very unusual thing to do. Based upon my personal and friend / colleague experience knowledge and also having a sister with a 30 year career in hotel industry who has confirmed it is not normal.

So please do not assume to correct me as if it is a matter of fact, because it isn’t.

I personally think dibb makes a lot more out of tipping than there is in real life. And I am not anti tipping, I tip as normal when it is customary to do so, such as to servers, taxi drivers etc. But this is not normal outside dibb land.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 18, 02:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

I always tip housekeeping at Disney and when every I stay in a hotel. The tip has always been taken,

I also tip the guy who drives the van from the airport to the rental car building, anyone who assists with my bags, uber and shuttle drivers, the person who cuts my hair and the customary waitstaff.

I think anyone who works a low wage job deserves a bit of money for helping me. For example, I cannot put my suitcase on the shelves in the rental car van. I appreciate the assistance I get and am happy I never have to ask. Giving the driver a few dollars make me feel good too. I appreciate it when I get a nice thank you and a smile.

Edited at 08:09 PM.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 18, 03:09 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Cuxi View Post
It's the job I would never want to do.

It's hard work for little remuneration. It's no skin off my nose to leave a few dollars a day for the hard-working individuals who do this task and some of the mess they have to clean up, unbelievable. I sometimes look through open doors and it looks like bombs were dropped.
I did it while I was at school. It is hard work and you're right about the state of some rooms. My pet peeve was load of half empty soda cans around the room. It seemed to take ages to empty them all.
Old 24 Feb 18, 07:49 AM  
Link to this Post
gl20
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I will not be swayed from opinion that this is a very unusual thing to do. Based upon my personal and friend / colleague experience knowledge and also having a sister with a 30 year career in hotel industry who has confirmed it is not normal.

So please do not assume to correct me as if it is a matter of fact, because it isn’t.

I personally think dibb makes a lot more out of tipping than there is in real life. And I am not anti tipping, I tip as normal when it is customary to do so, such as to servers, taxi drivers etc. But this is not normal outside dibb land.
Writing this in back of car on the way home from Heathrow, having visited Mumbai, UAE and Jo'berg this week, with Japan and Russia in 2 weeks time then US and Canada the week after.

To be fair, just about any website relating to US travel would say you should tip the housekeeping staff, the bellhop, their mother, etc. I really do wish they'd just up the hotel price and pay staff a fair wage but there you go. But this guidance isn't just limited to the Dibb!

It did get me googling though as I never tip in hotels elsewhere. According to the internet I should have tipped in India and SA. WhereasI know without rechecking that to tip in Japan is generally considered insulting (Note to the US - based on Japan experience, tipping is not an essential practice for getting excellent service).
gl20 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 18, 09:13 AM  
Link to this Post
BarryL
Imagineer

Mobile

Bridget, I wasnt trying to correct you but instead merely point out that there are other commonly held opinions and equally valid approaches to this.
It's really not that unusual.

Have a great day
BarryL is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 18, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Jedi Princess
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by MrsBC View Post
$1 pp per day, left with a note, so they know it's for them.
This is what we do too.
Old 24 Feb 18, 09:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Leyfy
Imagineer

I have never tipped housekeeping in a hotel. Nor have I ever met anyone that has. And I am very well travelled for business and work as are most people I know. Only place I have even heard of this custom is on this website. I expect the thread will be closed soon.
I'm not sure it is just a Dibb thing to be fair - you only have to google 'mousekeeping envelopes' to show it's not just on here where it is suggested.

We tipped in hotels in New York and different parts of Florida as well and the tip is always taken. Surely if it wasn't customary housekeeping wouldn't take the tip?
Leyfy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List