Old 24 Feb 18, 01:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

You haven’t done anything wrong. The question comes up here often and tends to get heated, so threads do tend to end up getting locked.

Don’t know about Universal, but at Disney, ‘mousekeeping’ is officially a non-tipped position, meaning that tips are not expected. However, there is nothing to stop you tipping and many people do, me included. Just make sure you use an envelope or a note, otherwise it could just be loose money you have left lying around. There are some great templates for mousekeeping envelopes on the internet and I’m sure you could find them with Universal characters too.
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 18, 02:00 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Bridgetx View Post
I will not be swayed from opinion that this is a very unusual thing to do. Based upon my personal and friend / colleague experience knowledge and also having a sister with a 30 year career in hotel industry who has confirmed it is not normal.

So please do not assume to correct me as if it is a matter of fact, because it isn’t.

I personally think dibb makes a lot more out of tipping than there is in real life. And I am not anti tipping, I tip as normal when it is customary to do so, such as to servers, taxi drivers etc. But this is not normal outside dibb land.
We're over 60 and we've always tipped in hotels here and abroad before I ever knew of The Dibb, much the same as we've always tipped in restaurants and much the same as we don't only go to WDW. So you're not as right as you seem to believe :-)
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure & POR Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984

Edited at 02:02 PM.
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 18, 02:09 PM  
Link to this Post
JessBlu
Imagineer

I think the debate got “heated” due to the way people wish to write their opinions on here.

I am the other person who does not tip because I am following Disney’s guidelines, and we keep the room clean, making beds, cleaning away rubbish etc, reusing towels.

On the Disney Cruise I do tip housekeeping as I am following the Disney guidelines.

I am not right nor wrong I am just Shareing what I do.

However I dislike when people make personal or inflammatory comments when it’s rather unnecessary.

And I note that I have not received any bad comments with the exception of one, (there’s always one&#128514 I assume because I have not voiced my opinion in a negative way.

Edited at 02:13 PM.
JessBlu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 18, 02:14 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Maep View Post
Thank you for all replies, it is appreciated. We have decided we will go with the general consensus and tip a $4 a day as there will be 4 of us in our room.

My genuine question seems to of pushed some people’s buttons and for that I am sorry, was not my intention at all!

Maep 👨≈👩≈👧≈👧
Some buttons are easily pushed on here! I also agree with tipping a dollar per person per day,our room is always clean anyway but sometimes it's nice to be nice.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 18, 02:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Plato
Serious Dibber

A tipped employee means any employee engaged in an occupation in which he or she customarily and regularly receives more than $30 a month in tips.

A "tipped" classified employee can be paid just $2.13 per hour!

WDW Salaries: Housekeeping Hosts and Hostesses receive a starting rate of $10.50/hour
Pool Attendant roles receive a starting rate of $10.10/hour
Resort Guest Service receive a starting rate of $10.85/hour

Would you tip all of these people?

We do tip Housekeeping, but reading these salaries does confuse it for me.

I just wish they would do away with it and pay people the salary they deserve.
Plato is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 18, 05:05 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Ridersmom View Post
I always tip housekeeping at Disney and when every I stay in a hotel. The tip has always been taken,

I also tip the guy who drives the van from the airport to the rental car building, anyone who assists with my bags, uber and shuttle drivers, the person who cuts my hair and the customary waitstaff.

I think anyone who works a low wage job deserves a bit of money for helping me. For example, I cannot put my suitcase on the shelves in the rental car van. I appreciate the assistance I get and am happy I never have to ask. Given the driver a few dollars make me feel good too. I appreciate it when I get a nice thank you and a smile.
I'm exactly the same. I travel solo and really appreciate assistance. My main complaint about travelling is the complete lack of porters/skycaps etc at Gatwick airport.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 18, 09:01 PM  
Link to this Post
mickchick
Imagineer

mickchick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
As previously stated, tipping is a controversial subject on here. Mention of it certainly brings out the trolls.
mickchick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 18, 09:11 PM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by ERICSMUM View Post
I'm exactly the same. I travel solo and really appreciate assistance. My main complaint about travelling is the complete lack of porters/skycaps etc at Gatwick airport.
Hello. What’s a skycap?
scoobydooby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 18, 09:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Posiesmum
VIP Dibber

Posiesmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 3
Mobile

Originally Posted by scoobydooby View Post
Hello. What’s a skycap?
A Skycap is a porter

And on another issue, we have stayed in many hotels where a note is left telling you who your housekeeper is and thus (I assume) hoping for a tip. So it must be a general practice. As I said previously we do tip, as a previous poster said - sometimes it’s nice to be nice!
Posiesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 18, 09:52 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We always tipped $4 a day when staying in hotels in the states. I put it all in separate envelopes before we leave with a thankyou on the front. Has never occurred to me not to!

I always leave a small tip when we eat out at home too, maybe just £2 or £3 pound. And when we holiday in Europe I always have loads of coins left that will never be used, so leave them on the side the day we leave for housekeeping, it's not a lot, but the housekeeping will make more use of it than me. We had the same lovely girl clean our apartment in Lanzarote every other day this summer, so we appreciated it. My dad always did the same when we were on holiday when I was a child so it's something I just automatically do.

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List