Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

View Poll Results: What would you do?
Road tyres for mountain bike 8 21.05%
Cheap road bike 26 68.42%
Stick with MTB as is 4 10.53%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24 Feb 18, 09:03 PM  
Link to this Post
shauney
Imagineer

Another vote for second hand road bike.

My mountain bike is great but i'd not want to be doing a 30-40 mile ride on it where my road bike would be much better suited.
shauney is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 18, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

I do a lot of cycling. It's expensive to buy good bikes but they last donkeys. I've a Planet X road bike, bought it 7 years ago and it's still like new.
I go through mountain bikes quicker, I've had 3 in the last 8 years, my latest being a Whyte T130s.
If your using your mountain bike on the road a lot, and don't want to be swapping tyres a lot, put something like Racing Ralphs on it. They are a great all purpose tyre.
Personally I wouldn't waste money on a v cheap road bike. I'd save up and spend at least £500, but you may be able to get one in that range second hand.
I do long rides on both types of bikes depending on terrain. I've done a 135 miler off road in a day on my previous mountain bike (more XC a Giant Anthem) and I do the odd 70+ miler on the road bike). Doesn't your roadie mate also have a mountain / XC bike and want to mix it up a bit?

Edited at 09:28 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 18, 09:39 PM  
Link to this Post
MikeH23
Very Serious Dibber

MikeH23's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I would agree with all the above & recommend a road bike, you'll notice the difference within minutes.
MikeH23 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 18, 10:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Cassini
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Mobile

Does your school/council offer a ride to work scheme? My husband was given £800 for a bike, and paid it back over a year via salary sacrifice.
Cassini is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 18, 10:50 PM  
Link to this Post
daves13
Getting Excited

I’ve got a 29er mtb if I’m going on the road, I put a set of slicks on & lock out my forks
daves13 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 18, 01:03 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by Imagineer2802 View Post
Hi all,

So, bit of a dilemma. I'm a keen cyclist and invested in a rather pricey (for me!) mountain bike about 2 years ago which I love dearly. I have a friend who I cycle with, but he uses his (even more expensive) road bike for most cycles now, and I just can't keep up on the roads (a little embarrassing to say the least!)

Now, I am also the sustainable travel leader at the school I teach at and am launching a cycle to school campaign, starting with a 2-week cycle to school competition. Now, I can't launch that and not cycle to school, but I also don't want to feel dead after having cycled to school, and then having to teach all day before cycling home again! My mate also works at the school, and I just can't face the humiliation of him reaching school 10 mins before me

I can't justify the cost of a proper carbon road bike (the dream!) so the options are
A) locate some road bike tyres for my mountain bike (£50-60)...also a 29" wheel which seems to be tricky to find.
B) get a cheap £150 road bike
C) stick with the MTB and humiliation...

Anyone had any experience of road bike tyres on a MtB? Online reviews seem to be split as to whether they actually make any difference or not on a MTB frame. Or of using a low end road bike?
It really sounds like your best option is just to drive to work, keep cycling as a hobby where you don't need to be at a place by a certain time and fit for a days work.

Maybe in a few months you will have gotten used to the exertion and can do the cycle and a full days work
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 18, 07:45 AM  
Link to this Post
niccynoo66
Excited about Disney

Hi,

not a cyclist but hubby is.

He said n+1 is all you need to know . It means having one more bike is always the answer you can never have enough bikes
niccynoo66 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 18, 09:06 AM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

there is a reason why F1 cars usually run on slicks... means less road resistance and can go faster but downside less grip when it's wet. Maybe you could change the gear ratio as if I remember correctly they are usually different on mtbs compared to road bikes. No idea how feasible this is though. I just plodded along on hybrid tyres when I used to cycle to work.

Edited at 09:07 AM.
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 18, 09:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Bridget
Imagineer

Keep looking on eBay for a second hander. My boyfriend got a Cannondale off there a while back and it wasn’t expensive.. well, that’s what he told me! I cycle but I use my mountain bike everywhere - the fat tyres make me feel safer I don’t really care for Strava segments or going fast
Old 25 Feb 18, 10:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer2802
Imagineer

Imagineer2802's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 27

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Guidebook Photos: 74
Thanks for the suggestions so far... I was secretly hoping a new bike would be the answer downside is everything on eBay is collection only, and the 2 that are within a local driving distance of me are £600-800. I'll keep looking!

2019 - August - Europe on the Magic! 17th Trip!

**~ °o° ~°o° ~ °o°~°o° ~°o° ~ °o°~**
Imagineer2802 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List