Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Closed Thread

Old 29 Jul 13, 05:50 PM  
Link to this Post
spm23
Trainee Dibber

Richard Petty Driving

Ok, my son is 21 when we are on holiday and I am toying with booking him a driving experience.

It's not cheap and will be over very quickly but has anyone done the 8 lap experience, is it worth it, did you really enjoy it or would I be better just getting 3 fast laps with a driver? Will he get that as well on the 8 lap experience to show how him could be done?

Also, visitors, will everyone else be bored watching? Do they allow children at the track, youngest will be 8 and any other good reviews etc welcome.

Finally, any vouchers or do DVC holders get discount?

Thank You
Old 29 Jul 13, 06:10 PM  
Link to this Post
suebo
Very Serious Dibber

My dh and dad did this a few years ago and loved it. Well worth it if he's into cars and NASCAR racing. I'm pretty sure he will on get the 8 laps and not a ride a long.
He will have a pre drive meeting where they are given safety and driving instructions. Out on the track they have to follow a car around where there is one of the track drivers in it. The guy he follows judges how fast he thinks your son can drive and adjusts his speed etc. it will go quite quick.
The drive experience will be very different to the ride along and it will be a fantastic birthday present. Have a look at the exotic driving experience as there maybe something on there he would enjoy driving more (Ferrari, Porsches etc).
Other people in your party may get a little bored but there are mini driver introductions etc so a bit entertaining. If your 8 year old is into racing etc i think you might be able to get them a junior ride A long

DLP: Aug 92, Aug 97, Jun 02, Nov 07, Apr 11, Feb 15, May 16, Oct 16, May 17
WDW: Oct 96, Feb 04, Feb 06, Feb 08, Oct 13
Disneyland: Mar 99, Sept 06
Tokyo Disney: Apr 98
suebo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 13, 08:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Basset
Imagineer

OH's son did it and loved it.
Basset is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 13, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
LRMD
Imagineer

I think the 8 lap one would be better, I booked the 3 lap ride along for my husband in February this year, it was good but over so quick. Think we drove in and 15 mins later we were driving out!
LRMD is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 13, 12:27 AM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by spm23 View Post
Ok, my son is 21 when we are on holiday and I am toying with booking him a driving experience.

It's not cheap and will be over very quickly but has anyone done the 8 lap experience, is it worth it, did you really enjoy it or would I be better just getting 3 fast laps with a driver? Will he get that as well on the 8 lap experience to show how him could be done?

Also, visitors, will everyone else be bored watching? Do they allow children at the track, youngest will be 8 and any other good reviews etc welcome.

Finally, any vouchers or do DVC holders get discount?

Thank You

DVC holders won't get a discount as the Richard Petty is a seperate company, and i haven't seen it on Groupon for a long time.

But sometimes there are discounts on the RPDE website, i got one last year 3 laps for $50 instead of $115 ish. I had to ring up for it , but it was very easy to sort out.

The 8 laps experience is seperate to the 3 lap ride-along if he wanted to do that as well he would have to pay extra.

Would everyone else be bored..well that depends on what you like, in this house we are all NASCAR mad so happy to spend time just watching the cars, my kids loved watching my DH do his ride-along in Vegas, they stood behind the pit wall taking pics etc. So yes kids are allowed at the race track, mine have been going since they were babies.

But i wouldn't do it at the WDW track, i would choose Daytona Speedway, it does cost a little more and its 60 miles from Orlando but..
Its a proper race track used by NASCAR to race on (WDW is not is just used for the RPDE and ocassionaly testing by NASCAR).
Daytona is 2.5 miles , WDW is 1 mile .
Daytona is also a Super speedway so a much faster track than WDW, but also is far more banked than WDW..WDW is almost flat in comparison.. a proper banked track in a racing car is awesome .

So if you want a full on racing experience i'd choose Daytona the extra dollars it costs will be worth it.
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 13, 12:30 AM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by suebo View Post
My dh and dad did this a few years ago and loved it. Well worth it if he's into cars and NASCAR racing. I'm pretty sure he will on get the 8 laps and not a ride a long.
He will have a pre drive meeting where they are given safety and driving instructions. Out on the track they have to follow a car around where there is one of the track drivers in it. The guy he follows judges how fast he thinks your son can drive and adjusts his speed etc. it will go quite quick.
The drive experience will be very different to the ride along and it will be a fantastic birthday present. Have a look at the exotic driving experience as there maybe something on there he would enjoy driving more (Ferrari, Porsches etc).
Other people in your party may get a little bored but there are mini driver introductions etc so a bit entertaining. If your 8 year old is into racing etc i think you might be able to get them a junior ride A long
Yep age 6 and upwards can do the ride-along at Daytona and WDW as long as your 48" tall.

My youngest is itching to do it but unfortunately we're not off to Florida .
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 13, 12:30 AM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread