Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Closed Thread

Old 5 Oct 16, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post

Out of interest, I called up the London Ritz Afternoon Tea menu which to me is the benchmark in these matters. They serve a true British version of afternoon tea - what else! - and also have live music playing. Their basic charge is £52 per person so it seems that the Grand Floridian is charging more, but are they offering a better overall experience in terms of setting?

Are people willing to pay more while they are on holiday? They usually are!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 16, 12:54 PM  
Link to this Post
fudgie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by TerryAFS View Post
Out of interest, I called up the London Ritz Afternoon Tea menu which to me is the benchmark in these matters. They serve a true British version of afternoon tea - what else! - and also have live music playing. Their basic charge is £52 per person so it seems that the Grand Floridian is charging more, but are they offering a better overall experience in terms of setting?

Are people willing to pay more while they are on holiday? They usually are!
I've been to the GF a couple of times for afternoon tea but not since the most recent price increase. My view is that you can have a far better afternoon tea experience, both in terms of food, value and ambiance at a good hotel in this country.

The Garden View Tea Room is really just a cordoned off area of the hotel lobby which can be noisy at the best of times. And with the best will in the world, the Americans will never be the best at making a decent pot of tea

It's a pleasant enough way to spend an hour or two but it in no way compares to tea at The Ritz or any other similar establishment in the UK.
fudgie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 16, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post
flying-dutchman
Excited about Disney

flying-dutchman's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
As a one off it was pleasant..

The trifle was superb!
2004 - Pop Century:
2003 1999 1994- All Star
flying-dutchman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 16, 05:48 PM  
Link to this Post
MichelleS
Imagineer

We are going in a couple of weeks time to celebrate our anniversary,really looking forward to it .

1996 Music - 2004 Sports - 2006 Movies & POR - 2007 Loews Miami Beach & Buena Vista Palace
2008 Fairfield Inn / St Augustine / POR - 2011 Springhill Suites LBV
Aug 2022 Disney All Stars (with Grandchildren)
MichelleS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 16, 06:35 PM  
Link to this Post
chrisxal
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
No comparison whatsoever to the Ritz! At GF I 'opened' a sandwich to see what was inside and a CM asked if everything is alright, I said yes of course, I was just trying to work out what the filling was in this sandwich, her reply was curry paste, I said Oh that is unusual and she said but curry is your national dish.
chrisxal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 16, 09:03 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Originally Posted by FlorayG View Post
We've been there dressed up and there were people in park wear (shorts etc.) as well, so wear what you like you will not be out of place even if you dress as princesses.
...well, maybe not if one of you is male...

Definitely worth doing it was one of our most favourite quiet afternoons although it is funny that the waitresses say 'Berk - sheer tea'
As you can probably guess from my username I would be very offended if they took the proverbial out of my county!
Old 6 Oct 16, 07:56 AM  
Link to this Post

The server explains each item on the plates when it arrives.
The curry paste sandwich is a Coronation chicken, the best I've tasted IMO. There was also an egg mayo, cream cheese and cucumber.
We tried the Bedfordshire Tea which cost $35 each.
We all really enjoyed the food and the experience at the Grand Floridian as it something I have wanted to try for years.

Edited at 07:57 AM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 16, 10:21 PM  
Link to this Post
VicStar
VIP Dibber

I really want to do this with my mum, my DD9 and DD8! We'd send the menfolk off to amuse themselves and DS4 whilst the ladeeees partake in some slightly snooty tea I think it'd make a lovely memory!

Trouble is, we're on the DxDDP next year and with the ridiculous amount of food already available, and the $$ we'll be spending on tips, I really can't see how I can justify paying OOP for another dining experience

I'm trying to convince DH to take us there on one of the days we're meant to be at RPR/Universal but he's not keen
VicStar is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 16, 10:21 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread