Imagineer

NatsyNoo's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 32
Guidebook Reviews: 7
NatsyNoo’s New Year in Prague & Budapest – January 2020

Every year, hubby (Matt) and I take a jaunt shortly after the New Year. Pretty much all of my immediate family works in retail meaning little time off is taken over Christmas. I work myself because there is little value in me being home whilst everyone else is at work. This year we were due to go to Centerparcs with my sister, brother-in-law and niece, but they adopted a little puppy in December and there were no more dog-friendly lodges available for our dates, so Matt and I needed to find alternative plans. WE consulted our bucket list, and Kayak (flight search) and decided upon Prague and Budapest – two more ticks off the list, and relatively inexpensive thanks to Ryanair.

So that’s how we ended up here – on Friday 3rd January, after a day working from home – at the Premier Inn in Stansted. I logged off at 3.30pm in the end, having done everything that I needed to, and we hit the ‘holiday road’ at 3.50pm. The only curse of Ryanair for us, as Bournemouth residents, is the fact that the flights were operating out of Stansted, but without traffic, it’s not too bad of a run.

We stopped at Nando’s at Bishops Stortford on the way where Matt had the chicken thighs, and I had the fino pitta, and we also made a quick stop at a local Sainsburys for some drinks for the evening.

We rocked up at the Premier Inn near Stansted Airport at 8pm, paid £8 for the overnight parking, and once I had got our things out for tomorrow, climbed into bed for 9pm where we watched Jane MacDonald and Friends on Holiday (guilty pleasure) and fell asleep soon after.

Before we start, an advanced apology - some of my photos seem to have been taken on my iPhone in a file format not accepted by The Dibb. I'll have to look into that but some of the report might be a bit photo light as a result. Sorry!

Natsynoo's Trippie Index

Edited at 04:27 PM.
NatsyNoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 04:20 PM  
Link to this Post
NatsyNoo
Imagineer

NatsyNoo's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Day 1 - Prague

The alarm was as ever unwelcome at 5am but we were off on us holidays, so we went with it. We left the hotel at 5.35am, drove the 100 feet to the Maple Parking site, dropped the car, and got on the minibus to the terminal.

Security was relatively quick and easy, so we headed straight to Pret for some breakfast – I had porridge with tea, water and a muffin; Matt had a prosciutto, cheese & tomato baguette, pain au raisins and orange juice, which came to around £18.

We chilled in the terminal for a while, where I also popped into Accessorize and got a few headbands and some new gloves, and also to Boots for some tweezers (I forgot mine) and a Coke Zero for Matt.
Soon enough, our gate was announced, and we wandered down to the gate. We boarded slightly late but took off only 10 minutes late, which wasn’t so bad. On the flight, I played on the Nintendo Switch, and Matt watched Game of Thrones, before we landed in Prague at 11.20am local time (1 hour ahead).

We got on the shuttle to the terminal building, and while passport control was fairly slow, we got through easily enough and called an Uber to take us to the city centre. We were on our way by 12pm, and arrived at our hotel – the Grandior – at 12.25pm. The Uber was 375.90kc/£12.79 which for a 25 minute journey was not at all bad.
Our room at the hotel was not yet ready, so we left our luggage with reception and headed off for an explore.

First on the agenda was the Jewish Quarter. Everything was closed (it was a Saturday, and I expected this) but it was nice to see.
We saw a hub of activity over the way, so wandered over, and found the Old Town Square and Christmas Market. This was next on the list so a fortunate discovery!

We saw the Kafka statue/monument in any case!

Old Synagogue/Jewish Museum - one thing that really stuck with me during my research of this trip was the fact that Hitler had earmarked this Ghetto to become a museum of an 'extinct race' after the mass execution had been completed. What a horrendous thought?!

We spent quite a lot of time here, taking in our first European Christmas Market, and the sites that I knew to look out for.

Church of the Virgin Mary Before Tyn

Astronomical Clock – which we saw chime at 3pm (which was, as the reviews say, underwhelming, but a must do nonetheless).

It was about lunchtime now so we decided to grab a sausage. We both went for paprika (herb was sold out; and ‘when in Rome’) which came to 95kc/£3.18 each which was a decent deal compared to UK market prices.

I also spotted a place selling Mulled Wine so grabbed one of those for 70kc/£2.34.

As a sweet treat, I had spotted waffles on a stick dipped in chocolate and sprinkles and I had to have one of those (to get rid of the paprika taste if nothing else!) but Matt and I did share one as there was something else on our list. This was 120kc/£4 and well worth it!

The next thing happened to be a local delicacy – Chimney Cake! We opted to have ours plain (no sauce, fruit or ice cream) and this was 70kc/£2.34. It was ok but the least favourite thing that we had tasted today whereas we had expected to be obsessed with it on paper. Worth a try though!

After we were happy that we had ‘done’ Old Town Square, we headed to our next stop – Charles Bridge – where typically, the heavens opened and it poured from when we stepped on to when we stepped off.

Once we left the bridge, we walked through Kampa Park, to get back over the river to see the Dancing House hotel, and its unique architecture.

Slav Island

Dancing House Hotel - we almost stayed here but decided that it didn't seem worth the extra £120 per night when compared with our hotel.

We were cold and wet by this point, so decided to Uber to our next stop – Wenceslas Square/New Town. The Uber was 76.45kc/£2.56. This area was not what we expected, but we enjoyed a wander through the Market nonetheless, and the atmosphere was really nice.

We continued just wandering around the city, and ended back at Old Town Square.

On our wander, we found several of these incredible sweet shops which were themed to mines or sailing ships! So cool!

We decided to call it a day at this point. We walked back to the hotel, via M&S (we’re always intrigued by M&S abroad) and Lidl (a large bottle of water for the room was 5kc/16p) and then got back to the hotel to check in and paid our city tax of 84kc/£2.81.

We were so pleased/impressed by this hotel and our room. It was £65 per night to stay here, including breakfast, and it was of a very high standard. It was a 5*, so I expected ‘nice’ but I’m always a bit sceptical in Europe of the star rating system, but this was lovely! I’m glad as we spent quite a lot of time here in the end.

Once in the room, we dropped the cases, and then headed back out again to the McDonalds about 3 doors down. I had nuggets, Matt had a cheese King Burger, and we each had a McFlurry. This came to around £14 but I don’t have the exact details to hand. We took it back to the room, climbed into bed, and enjoyed our little feast.

King Burger

We spent the rest of the night just chilling, which was perfect after a long day and a busy December leading up to this trip. I wrote up my notes from the day, sorted photos, chatted to my family back home, and watched a documentary on BBC World about the Silk Road, which was interesting.

And that’s the end of day!

Natsynoo's Trippie Index

Edited at 05:22 PM.
NatsyNoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 04:20 PM  
Link to this Post
NatsyNoo
Imagineer

NatsyNoo's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Day 2 - Prague

Our itinerary for Prague wasn’t especially heavy, so we treated ourselves to a lie in this morning. We woke naturally at 8.15am, and laid in bed until 9am. Once dressed, we went down to breakfast at 9.30am, and as we walked into the hall, a pianist was playing one of our wedding songs (the Feather Song from Forrest Gump – I must admit that I welled up a little!).

Breakfast was just ok, but neither Matt nor I are massive fans of a European breakfast really, so we had what we fancied, and headed off at 10.10am

I just loved the architecture & sculptures as we were walking around!

Our first stop was St Cyril and St Methodius Cathedral which is better known as a little (free) museum about operation Anthropoid/the assassination of Heydrich during WW2. It was really interesting to learn more about this, especially for Matt who is a WW2 enthusiast. He told me after that we had actually watched a film about this on Netflix so he knew a lot about it. I didn't take any photos inside, it felt disrespectful.

Note: there is also a Church of St Cyril and St Methodius. We started walking there at first but something didn’t’ feel right so a quick Google and I corrected our route.

On route, we also walked past the Powder Gates which we had missed yesterday. I was pleased to see these.

We kept seeing these old cars doing tours too, I thought they were really cool!

We also found a Hamley's Store with a carousel and slide inside!

After the museum, we walked down to the Dancing House Hotel, and called an Uber to take us to Prague Castle, which was over the river and uphill, which I didn’t really fancy. This was 84.10kc/£2.82.

We arrived just in time to catch the Changing of the Guard at 12pm, but could see very little due to the crowds and everyone lifting their phones high about their heads. Me doing the same was the only way I could see anything.

We enjoyed some time wandering around the castle grounds, including St Vitus Cathedral, and St George’s Square. In the latter was another mini Christmas market, where I had a hot pear (delicious!) and Matt had a Coke. These were 60kc/£2 each.

St Vitus Cathedral

St George's Square

The only place within the Castle Grounds that I actually wanted to visit was Golden Lane. However, I didn’t want to pay £12ish each for a ticket just to visit there (they only sell multi-attraction passes in the Castle) so we gave it a miss.

The views at the top of the hill were gorgeous, and we were blessed with a beautiful blue sky today!

Instead, come 1pm, we headed down the hill, and walked to the Lennon Wall. I was so excited to see this and it met all my expectations. The hordes of people were a bit annoying but we still managed to get a decent view.

From here, we walked past St Nicholas Church, to Petrin Hill where we caught the funicular to the top. This was 24kc/81p each. We had a little wander around at the top, and then walked back down again.

St Nicholas Church, and its iconic green dome

Petrin Hill Funicular

Petrin Hill

The views up here were beautiful!

Once down, we caught an Uber to Vysehrad (82.32kc/£2.80) and specifically the Church of St Peter & St Paul. We walked around here for 30 minutes or so, and then Uber’ed back to St Wenceslas Square (95.81kc/£3.26) for an early dinner.

We each had a hot dog – cheese for me at 95kc/£3.24, and ham for Matt at 105kc/£3.58. Both were nice but Matt preferred the paprika to his ham one. We also got a bowl of potatoes with cheese and ham (caution: these dishes are charged per 100g so it’s easy to get caught out) which came to 146kc/£4.98 (good, but expensive for what it was). I also got a hot apple (70kc/£2.38) and Matt got a Coke Zero (60kc/£2).

We wandered back in the same direction as we had last night and ended up back in Old Town Square for one final dipped waffle (this time one each!) (120kc/£4.09 each) and a stewed fruit tea for me (to use the final change – 60kc/£2).

We then wandered back to the hotel. We got back at about 5pm, so enjoyed a chilled evening where we packed, showered and chilled. Thanks to Sky Go, we caught up on the Masked Singer (two episodes) and Dancing On Ice on Matt’s tablet, and fell asleep soon after at 10.30pm.

We really enjoyed our couple of days in Prague. It’s a beautiful city, and we’re glad we came, especially at Christmas Market time, as that really added something for us, but we wouldn’t be in any hurry to come back. There’s lot of other cities for us to visit first! It has whet our appetite for another market though, so hopefully we make it to Munich in December as planned!

Natsynoo's Trippie Index

Edited at 05:22 PM.
Old 20 Jan 20, 04:21 PM  
Link to this Post
NatsyNoo
Imagineer

NatsyNoo's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Day 3 - Budapest

It was another early alarm today to move onto to the next stop on this mini adventure – Budapest!

It rang at 5.30am, so we got up, and called an Uber back to the airport at 6am (373.20kc/£12.73) and arrived at 6.25am. It started snowing on the way which was nice to see.

Security was seamless, so we went to find some breakfast. We settled for Costa, where Matt had a Coke Zero and muffin, I had a granola, croissant and juice, which came to 417kc/£14.23.

We were called for boarding at 7.40am, but stood in the bus for ages to take us to the plane. Defeats the object of priority boarding for Ryanair, I think?! We ended up being one of the last on the plane! Once settled, I played on the Switch again for a bit (and had a little doze) and Matt watched more Game of Thrones.

Look at this loon - -1c it was!

We landed ahead of schedule at 9.35am, and were surprised that there was no passport control?!

I had initially planned to get the Airport Express bus into the city, but we decided to get a Bolt (taxi) in the end. The Airport Express would have taken quite some time and this was just far easier (albeit lazy and more expensive!). We unfortunately had 2 of them cancelled though because Apple Pay was rejecting our payment (same card as we had used in Prague) but I switched cards and it was fine. This was 8440HUF/£21.70, and we got to our hotel – the NH Budapest City – at 10.25am.

We were luckily able to check in early, and were given our room keys. We went and dropped our bags, and headed out on another new adventure!

For info, by comparison, this hotel was £45 per night. It was nowhere near as nice as our hotel in Prague, but for the price, we were more than happy!

Our first stop was the Parliament Building which I was so excited to see! It's so iconic, and beautiful!

In the same area, we saw the Liberty Square (Szabadstag Ter).

Communist Monument

Ronald Reagan Statue

This monument was commissioned as a tribute to the Nazi Regime but this has since been campaigned about and is now regarded as a memorial to those who lost their lives.

The Parliament Building is right on the river's edge, so I was obsessed with photos here, lol (though mostly selfies, which seem to be the ones not working )

One of the main reasons that I had wanted to come to Budapest was to see the shoes monument on the river – this is a tribute to the Jews who had lost their lives on the banks of the river. They had been shot in the backs of the head so their bodies fell straight into the river, but had been asked to take their shoes off first, which is what they represented. So very sad but an important reminder and tribute.

Our next stop was St Stephen’s Basilica which was a stunning cathedral.

We wandered next over to Vorosmarty Ter but it was really quite quiet. I expected this to be a hive of activity (shops, restaurants, cafes) but there was hardly a soul to be seen!

On the way to our next stop, we popped into a Tesco Express for a snack and drink. We each got a pastry, shared a bag of crisps, and a drink each, plus a water for the bag, which came to 1178HUF/£3.03. Bargain!

We found the famous Ruin Bars shortly after, but by day, they were quite underwhelming! The place must really come alive at night to be worth the hype!

Around the corner, we found the painted wall murals – Rubik’s Cube and Football (where the Hungarians beat England by a large margin, apparently).

Just behind them, was the Great Synagogue and Raoul Wallenberg Memorial Park (Tree of Life monument). We didn’t go into the Synagogue, but saw the monument from the street, and it was a lovely tribute.

Along the street, we found the remains of the Ghetto Memorial Wall, and read the stories written on there.

I next wanted to see the Hungarian National Museum, as I felt on researching this trip that the building was quite impressive. It was!

And our final stop of the day was to be the Central Market Hall, where we spent quite a lot of time. We wandered the shopping floor and looked at the fresh produce (much of it was the same after a while, to be honest) and then wandered upstairs to where the ‘food court’ was. This term is a bit generous but there was ‘quick service’ food to buy and eat.

We ordered a spicy sausage in a bun for Matt, and a sausage wrapped in cheese & bacon for me (which turned out to be a frankfurter sadly), with some paprika-spiced wedges and a Sprite. This came to 6340HUF/£16.30, which we felt was quite expensive, especially compared to what we had grown used to in Prague.

We then ordered a Goulash (when in Rome!) which was 1500HUF/£3.85.

I had also planned to buy a Langos here, but we were both full, and decided to save it for tomorrow.

At the market, we popped back down to sample some strudel – we ordered 2 slices of apple & cinnamon, and 2 of soured cherry, for 1520HUF/£3.90. We had these at the hotel during our two evenings here, and enjoyed the apple but less so the cherry.

I had also planned to buy some paprika but we didn't in the end as we tend to cook with smoked paprika which wasn't something they seemed to have.

Before heading back to the hotel, we stopped by Aldi for some provisions. We each got a pastry for a light bite this evening, and each for breakfast too, I got a banana, we got a large bottle of water, and a bag, which came to 1087HUF/£2.79. Much cheaper than our Costa breakfast that morning!

It was 45 minute walk back to our hotel from here, and we were tired, achy, and it was very cold, so we called a Bolt. This was 2110HUF/£5.42. We took an hour or two to chill out, ahead of this evening’s excursion, and were treated to this gorgeous sunset.

We left the hotel again at 5.30pm, and walked down to the river, where I had booked a night time sightseeing cruise. In my research, I had seen more than enough photos to demonstrate to me that Budapest was at its best at night, so I was hoping that this would show us some of that. We weren’t disappointed!

We got on board at 5.50pm, and were given a welcome drink, which was included in our 9Euro fare. We sat out on deck, and while it was cold, we were spoiled by the views. (No fingers were lost to frost bite in the taking of these photos). The cruise was well worth the money.

At 7pm, we docked back, and walked back to the hotel. I fancied a hot chocolate on the way back to thaw me out but McDonalds didn’t sell it!? Shocker! I made do without. We did pop in the Spar though to get Matt a 2L bottle of Coke Zero which was 375HUF/96p (same price as a smaller bottle).

I got a photo of my new bag on the way back - I am in love! <3

We also saw this beautiful opera building behind our hotel.

We got back at the hotel for 8pm, where I showered, and crawled into bed to enjoy our snacks and chill for a bit after a long and busy day.

Natsynoo's Trippie Index

Edited at 05:50 PM.
Old 20 Jan 20, 04:23 PM  
Link to this Post
NatsyNoo
Imagineer

NatsyNoo's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Day 4 - Budapest

How was it already our last day?! The time on this trip had really flown by!

We treated ourselves to another lie in today, and woke at 8.45am. We left the room at 9.50am, and walked in the crisp sunshine along the river to the Siklo funicular (this took about 40 minutes) via the Szechenyi Chain Bridge.

Nutter again!

We paid 200HUF/£5.14 each for a return ticket to the top of the hill.

We walked past the Sandor Palace (the Prime Minister’s home)

Matthias Church

And found the Fisherman’s Bastion – it was beautiful!
Someone described it as being a bit like a Disney Castle, which I sort of see, but I also see a sandcastle?

And we saw something being filmed!

Around the corner, was the Hilton Budapest and Tancscics Mihsly which also enjoyed some of this beautiful neo-gothic architecture.

We also found the Vienna Gate and Becsi Kapu Square.

We walked past the Hospital in the Rock which is now a nuclear bunker but we decided not to go in as we have already seen a bunker before (in Berlin) and decided it couldn’t be that different?!

We ended back at the Buda Castle/Royal Palace where we took some photos and then descended, but I realised too late that we had missed the Dracula bit. Never mind.

We went to the Castle Garden Bazaar next, but it didn’t look its best in the winter. We didn’t stay long here.

We decided instead to catch a Bolt to the Citadella (1490HUF/£3.83 – well worth it not to climb that hill!). We saw the Liberty Monument and enjoyed the views for a while before descending on foot.

On the way back down, we saw the Cave Church; and had the Liberty Bridge to our right, and the Elizabeth Bridge to our left.

We then called another Bolt to take us to Andrassy Ut, a UNESCO world heritage site, a bit like the Champs d’Elysee in appearance. We wandered along for 20 minutes before we reached Heroes Square.

We then found a food market in the park, and enjoyed some lunch before our next activity. Matt had a sausage (2000HUF/£5.14), a Coke Zero (500HUF/£1.28), and I had a Langos (1700HUF/£4.37) and hot chocolate (1000HUF/£2.57). The Langos was INCREDIBLE! I absolutely loved it! It was a bit like a thick pancake with a crispy outing, with soured cream spread, cheese sprinkled, and I had bacon on mine. Phenomenal and I’m gutted I only had one!

Before moving on, we went to the Vajhahunyad Castle and saw the Anonymous Statue.

We finally arrived at Szechenyi Baths which I was SO EXCITED about! We paid our 12300HUF/£31.63 which covered our entry and a cubicle (changing room) hire which I thought was a fair price. We really enjoyed our time here, and stayed until 4.30pm.

We got a Bolt to McDonalds near our hotel next (1850HUF/£4.75) where we had dinner – I had a McChicken Sandwich, Matt had a Generous Jack, and we each had an ice cream, which came to 4980HUF/£12.80.

We next stopped by a local Aldi for breakfast for tomorrow to save being stung another £15 at the airport. We each got a pastry (I think Matt got two) for 526HUF/£1.35.

We got back to the room at 6pm, so showered, packed, sorted through photos/notes, and chilled for a bit. I fell asleep at 9.30am.

The next day…

The alarm went off at 3.30am – ouch! I checked as soon as I woke up to make sure I could call a taxi on Bolt quite easily, and I was relieved to see that I could, so we got ready and left the room at 4am. We arrived at the airport, via Bolt (7640HUF/£19.65) at 4.30am, and again, it was seamless. It was however incredibly busy!

We grabbed some drinks at the Relay store for 1198HUF/£3.08 and sat and waited for our gate to be called.

Our flight took off on time at 6.25am, and landed at 7.50am. We were outside waiting for the transfer to our car park at 8.20am, which was perfect, as we had the whole day ahead. We stopped by McDonalds for some tea (and pancakes!) for me, and then started the drive back home to Bournemouth.

And that was it! Our New Year adventure and the first of many of 2020. Thanks for reading along!

Natsynoo's Trippie Index

Edited at 06:10 PM.
Old 21 Jan 20, 07:45 PM  
Link to this Post
florida girl
Imagineer

florida girl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Wow you packed so much into your time. Prague is definetely on our trip list the architecture looks amazing.
florida girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 10:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
A great trip with lots of beautiful photos. We loved Prague and Budapest looks spectacular too! A great report
Sparksy72 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 10:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Both Prague and Budapest look fantastic.Love all the Christmas trees. The shoe memorial is just heartbreaking.
Thanks for posting.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 20, 01:49 AM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Great trip report! You did so much in your time away. Thanks for doing it - I'd love to do the same one day so you've given me lots of ideas!

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 20, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
NatsyNoo
Imagineer

NatsyNoo's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

Thanks everyone for reading and commenting!
And to those planning their own trips, glad I could help!

Natsynoo's Trippie Index