Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 3 Sep 18, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post
magickate
Imagineer

Pros & Cons of booking our Disney hotel for nights we're not there.

We have an 10night reservation for CBR next October & then a 4 night cruise before heading back to Disney for 1 final night.
I had planned to rent DVC points for our last night but am now considering extending our CBR reservation for the full 15nights meaning we'll be paying for the room whilst we're on the cruise.

It would be much more convenient, easier packing wise & no checking in/ out again.

We have free dining so would get the extra credits. We're only doing qsdp this time & are planning no additional meals at all.

Availibilty isn't showing at the moment but using a booking at CSR (which was same price at CBR when we booked) for quotes the additional cost for 5 extra nights is £840.

The DVC points we planned to rent would've been approx £250, the extra dining credits we will receive have a 'value' of just under £650 so combined cover the room cost. Plus we wouldn't need to pay Disney food prices out of pocket the last 2 days.

We're 3 adults with big appetites, 1 child that eats multiple Mickey bars a day, the food & wine festival is on & we'll be bringing bag ghiradelli bars & bags of goofy candy as gifts too. Really don't think using the extra credits would be challenging!

Have I completely lost the plot & it's a mad idea or does it make sense to anybody else reading it? Hope I've explained it well enough.

Edited at 10:42 PM.
magickate is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 18, 11:33 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

It’s mad. What room are you renting for £250. You could book a value or a dvc studio for £150.

Extra dining credits only have a value if you use them. That’s a lot of extra credits. How much would an extra Mickey bar a day cost? You could eat extremely well for those final 2 days on less than £600.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 18, 11:37 PM  
Link to this Post
pad406
VIP Dibber

pad406's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
^^^^^
I’m with Bev on this. £600
pad406 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 18, 11:57 PM  
Link to this Post
magickate
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
It’s mad. What room are you renting for £250. You could book a value or a dvc studio for £150.

Extra dining credits only have a value if you use them. That’s a lot of extra credits. How much would an extra Mickey bar a day cost? You could eat extremely well for those final 2 days on less than £600.
I've used the calculators on a couple of the sites, David's, dvcrequests & basing it on £12pp (if I'm lucky! US sites are quoting $17pp) It's £200 minimum, £250+ for anything other than ssr, okw or a standard view at akl. It's also likely I'll struggle for availability depending on the opening of star wars land.

The convenience of not moving around is worth a bit to us, especially as our son takes a few nights to settle somewhere. If we kept the same room that would really help.

An extra couple of slushies & ice creams each day for them both, $20ish, so $200 for the whole stay. 2 visits to F&W will burn through our credits quickly then another 20 odd snack credits on gifts to bring home. Another $200 for food on the last 2 days.

So maybe paying a little more than we need to for ease but totally nuts?
magickate is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 18, 12:06 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

I think you’ve made your mind up. But I’d be surprised if it was cost effective.

For 1 night I would book a cheaper hotel. You can usually get the boardwalk for 14-17 points.

But we are always holidaying on a budget so I have a different perspective.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 18, 12:20 AM  
Link to this Post
magickate
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
I think you’ve made your mind up. But I’d be surprised if it was cost effective.

For 1 night I would book a cheaper hotel. You can usually get the boardwalk for 14-17 points.

But we are always holidaying on a budget so I have a different perspective.
It's saying 17points for boardwalk on the date we'd want. Would be ok if we could rent points directly but going through an agency would cost approx $270 and some have a 2night minimum stay policy unfortunately. I don't like the look of the values except AOA which is £262 & if we were to rent DVC points I'd want a deluxe we couldn't normally afford.

I really do appreciate other people's input though. I find it very easy to get carried away & spend money where Disney is concerned. Any other holiday & I wouldn't consider it! A bit of perspective is often needed.
Old 4 Sep 18, 06:39 AM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
All DVC properties are deluxe.
Personally I wouldn’t do it for extra QS credits. It’s not like you can double them up for signature meals. I would consider it a waste of money but if it’s what you feel will be better for your family then it’s your decision.
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 18, 08:39 AM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I do understand your logic and I think Disney holidays can often sway your brain to spend more unnecessary money! However you know the answer really is that it is a bit mad. Basically I think you are using the room as a locker...would you honestly pay that much money for a locker? You really don’t need to pay all that extra money to keep the dining credits as you will have plenty to use on gifts without adding the extra days. I know paying for food out there is a shock after you come off plan but it’s not going to be anywhere near the price of the empty room. I get the packing/luggage hassle but your probably going to be all packed anyways before the cruise. I would hate to leave it and waste my last night in Disney packing yet again when I’ve just packed from the cruise ship.
I’m not against the plan of paying for a hotel when I’m staying in another hotel as I have done this a few times when we have added on Universal hotel stays and Disney stays for a few nights but only because the I drive hotel was a package deal. Only you know if it’s really worth shelling out all that extra money as you say Florida often makes us all do something a little bit crazy!
OB1LukeLucas is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 18, 08:55 AM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

I’m all for convenience but I wouldn’t do it.
The maths doesn’t work for me and I’d feel really bad at retaining a room I didn’t need and stopping someone else using it. One night, yes but not for several.

But whatever works for you , works for you. Your money, your family, your choices !

And sounds like a fab trip you have planned
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List