Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 26 May 19, 08:48 AM  
Link to this Post
toots82
VIP Dibber

Mobile Taylor Wimpey - upgrades list?

Hi

Anyone recently bought a TW home who could give me some insight into what's included as standard and any extras and rough costs of those?

Thank you
toots82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 19, 09:35 AM  
Link to this Post
scottishmum
Imagineer

scottishmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Not much help but we did it was 13.5 years ago though lol.

Some of what we got extra were
Down lighters in living room ceiling.
Fire place and fire fitted
Extra tv aerial point.
Coving to ceiling downstairs
Carpets as they weren’t included.
Upgraded kitchen (since ripped out lol )
Upgraded tiles in kitchen.
Tiled floor in kitchen.
Extra shower Over the bath in main bathroom.
Wall all tiled in main bathroom
Upgraded tiles in en suite.
Fitted wardrobes and dressing table main bedroom.
Extra aerial point in 3rd bedroom.
Extra sockets,

Alarm
Outside light,
Probably more but can’t rememer really,
We paid about £10 k I think on upgrades.
Old 26 May 19, 10:00 AM  
Link to this Post
naomi
slightly serious Dibber

We are 1 month from completion on our TW property.

what comes as standard, varies by development. Things like turf in the back garden, a friend bought on a different development and it came as standard with hers, its an optional extra with ours.

Am I right from your previous thread you are buying in Scotland? as i know it will be vastly different from England.

our extras include;
Upgraded kitchen including integrated appliances
1/2 tiling to downstairs WC and ensuite
full tiling in the main bathroom
upgraded ensuite shower
dual head thermostatic shower over the bath in main bathroom and glass shower screen
outside light to the rear
external powerpoint
downlighters downstairs, hall, landing, bathroom and ensuite (£54 each or £72 in any bathroom)
a few extra sockets
light and power socket in our pantry under the stairs
carpet to stairs and all bedrooms
extra 1/2 glass door downstairs (we get the one from hall to lounge as standard)

I think this is everything, this came to around £8000

If you want rough costings for anything in a particular I can look at our options pricing list for you, just remember prices depend on the size of the property.

naomi is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 19, 03:28 PM  
Link to this Post
scottishmum
Imagineer

scottishmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Ah yes we also got the dining room double doors in glass and chrome instead of regular white doors.
All the internal door handles chrome instead of brass, that was upgrade too.
Old 26 May 19, 03:41 PM  
Link to this Post
catlady
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 4
We bought nearly 2 years ago and pretty much everything except the basics are extra! Ours is a 3 storey 5 bed.

We got spot lights in downstairs rooms and hall/landing, attic bedrooms and bathrooms. These were very expensive!
Crome switch covers! Again expensive!
Crome door handles on all internal doors
Few extra sockets in some rooms
Personal door to the garage and power to the garage
Full tiling to bathrooms and ensuite
Turf and few extra paving slabs to allow dogs to come in and out!
Door bell!
Upgrade bathrooms which includes soft close loos and vanity units.
Fitted wardrobes to master bedroom

We did our own flooring/carpet and actually replaced the 'included' kitchen with our own before we moved in! Otherwise we would have upgraded the very basic kitchen!

Our extras for TW came to over £10,000! It's an expensive business 😖

Edited at 03:53 PM. Reason: Thought of more!
catlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 19, 04:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Noodle500
Imagineer

We bought just over 4 years ago.
Hadn't got loads to spend on extras so we chose ones that would be a pain in the butt to do later. We spent about £4,000 on...
Downlighters in kitchen, bathroom, ensuite and downstairs loo
Extra plug sockets
Extra tv aerial points one in each bedroom
Outdoor tap
Trunking for electrics to garage (I know they didn't provide electric to garage! )
Side door in garage
Electric spur on hob in case wanted to replace gas hob for electric
Upgraded to metal extractor hood on cooker
Outdoor light
Fence with concrete boards
Garden gate
Grass
Clear door from lounge to dining room

Our sales rep was great in that she gave us the number of electrician they used on site who would be cheaper if we went direct for garage lights and electrics
She also recommend a local carpet fitter who had done lots of the new build. They allowed the fitter access to the house day before completion (but after exchange) to fit carpets and flooring (way cheaper)

We chose plain white tiles in bathroom as we would be able to match them easy if we wanted to put in shower. Cost of full tiling and shower again overpriced.
Didn't buy integrated kitchen appliances as we chose white kitchen and bought appliances from argos

Edited at 04:56 PM.
Noodle500 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 19, 07:54 PM  
Link to this Post
toots82
VIP Dibber

Thanks folks, yes we are in Scotland

I'm really interested in the internal door to garage and also asking if they can run plumbing into garage to let me put my washing machine out there. We wouldn't add bathroom vanities as DH could fit them much cheaper luckily, he would also change all switches etc if we wanted different ones but he's said its easier to get them to do extra sockets. I'd probably upgrade kitchen although it sticks in my throat as DH fits kitchens on new build sites (and may well end up fitting this estate) so knows the actual cost difference. Garden I'm not too sure, if they give turf as standard I would take but I'm contemplating fake grass. Tiling in bathrooms I'd like at least half, would upgrade en suite shower but wouldnt bother adding one to family bath (the model we like is a 4 bed with jack and jill between kids rooms which has a 2nd shower anyway so a bath in main bathroom is fine).

Its a minefield! I'm trying to get a rough figure to try and save, thanks so much for sharing info
toots82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 19, 08:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Noodle500
Imagineer

Our garage door cost £450. We've got Tumble dryer in garage so no plumbing. The garage is separate building to house. If you're in a strong bargaining position such as first time buyer or short chain then be really cheeky asking for upgrades they can be flexible. Tiling in bathrooms was half way but the sales person said if order plain white tiles then it would be easy to match them and get a plumber to put a mixer tap shower in.
Noodle500 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 19, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Emily90
Excited about Disney

We had a limited budget and the only upgrades we had were the carpet and flooring (£4000) and upgraded downstairs doors from plain wooden white to glass panes (around £500 for both).

We found there were plenty of plug sockets around the house so didn't need more, we will do our own garden and the standard kitchens and bathrooms were really nice so didn't want to upgrade those. We didn't need an extra shower and would plan to install a nicer standalone bath in a few years anyway.
Emily90 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 19, 08:42 PM  
Link to this Post
toots82
VIP Dibber

Thanks folks, doors etc we will take standard and if we want them changed will get DH to do. Am super nervous about the whole selling and buying thing, we will be selling our 1st house which we've had since 2004 so not much experience. Plenty of time to stress, the sales cabin isn't even up yet and the plots we like will probably be amongst the last built!