Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 3 Sep 18, 08:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Jimsdadhalifax
Very Serious Dibber

Portofino Bay - Fantastic

We stayed at Portofino Bay for a week in August. If anyone is considering trying it - go for it. I adore Royal Pacific and I debated for a long time about paying extra for Portofino (it wasn't that much more as got a great deal) but it was worth it.

We stayed club level which was excellent. Breakfast was fantastic and the evening options were good enough for a meal. Staff were brilliant. A few highlights :

The smell of the lobby is fabulous.

The two main pools (never made it to the third one) are superb, padded sun loungers and a great waterslide are the icing on the cake.

The bathroom was ridiculously large - in a good way. The room was huge and the beds ultra comfortable.

Staff were all very helpful, especially the chap who checked us in.

Hotel looks amazing. Approaching on the boat is brilliant. Hotel seems massive at first but once you work out the layout, there are lots of shortcuts. Our room was 5 mins from both main pools, 5 mins from reception and the club room and not much further from the dock.

The opera singer is great. Loved sitting out with a beer and listening to the tunes.

The best hotel we have ever stayed at. Hard Rock is excellent, RPR even better but Portofino is the best.
Jimsdadhalifax is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 18, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post

Oohh, thanks so much! Have been debating and booked Portofino Club . And then quite a few people said Club at RPR was much better.

Delighted to hear your review and glad you enjoyed it.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 18, 10:41 PM  
Link to this Post
chippyminton
slightly serious Dibber

We’re just back and I agree with you, especially the lobby scent

Did you walk to and from the parks? That was good, except in a storm when the boats stop running. However, there was a member of staff in the lobby handing out fresh fluffy towels to the drowned rats!

Club room was good. We did witness a disgruntled guest complaining as he clearly hadn’t understood the limited time that alcohol was on offer. So make sure you research what is on offer before you book.
chippyminton is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 18, 10:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Ycryan
Imagineer

Ycryan's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 34
It sounds amazing. Where is the best place to book Portofino for the best rate?

Thanks.
Old 3 Sep 18, 10:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Crystaljordan
Serious Dibber

We are here now, we’ve been coming here for the last three years, usually do three weeks here, we always do club level as it suits us with three teenagers, superb as you say, we have also done the other quite a few times but like you agree Portofino to be the best. So relaxing, all staff always smiling, and helpful, not cheap for cocktails and onsite food, but everything else here makes up for that. Just hope I’m as happy with Disney when we move on Wednesday, never stayed onsite at Disney, so this will be the first time, and already having massive problems, which has put a damper on everything.
Crystaljordan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 18, 10:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Crystaljordan
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Ycryan View Post
It sounds amazing. Where is the best place to book Portofino for the best rate?

Thanks.
I booked through ebookers first off, through topcashback, but I had a query with them and wasn’t able to get in touch with them for some reason, despite sending emails and trying to get a telephone number, this worried me slightly, so I cancelled and rebooked through Expedia, through topcashback, Infact it was slightly cheaper as well, plus Expedia have kept me informed.
Crystaljordan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 18, 10:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Ycryan
Imagineer

Ycryan's Reviews
Originally Posted by Crystaljordan View Post
We are here now, we’ve been coming here for the last three years, usually do three weeks here, we always do club level as it suits us with three teenagers, superb as you say, we have also done the other quite a few times but like you agree Portofino to be the best. So relaxing, all staff always smiling, and helpful, not cheap for cocktails and onsite food, but everything else here makes up for that. Just hope I’m as happy with Disney when we move on Wednesday, never stayed onsite at Disney, so this will be the first time, and already having massive problems, which has put a damper on everything.
I've just read your post on the hotel issue and hope you get it all sorted, its just awful.

I think you'll enjoy the Wilderness Lodge, its a stunning resort and my favourite,. The boat ride to Magic Kingdom is great. I've only ever stayed at Disney so can't compare what its like with the Universal hotels.

Enjoy the Disney part of your trip. x
Old 3 Sep 18, 11:02 PM  
Link to this Post
florida girl
Imagineer

florida girl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Great reviews. We are staying Club level at the beginning of October so good to hear. We love Portofino beautiful hotel.
florida girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 18, 11:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Ycryan
Imagineer

Ycryan's Reviews
Originally Posted by Crystaljordan View Post
I booked through ebookers first off, through topcashback, but I had a query with them and wasn’t able to get in touch with them for some reason, despite sending emails and trying to get a telephone number, this worried me slightly, so I cancelled and rebooked through Expedia, through topcashback, Infact it was slightly cheaper as well, plus Expedia have kept me informed.
Oh that's great, thank you so much. I'm thinking of booking this as a surprise for DH next year. x
Old 3 Sep 18, 11:13 PM  
Link to this Post
derenstar
Apprentice Imagineer

What a reassuring review! We’ve booked PBH club for our upcoming trip. We have stayed at RPR twice previously and loved it so I was a teeny bit doubtful about whether we’d made the right choice. However, your review has reaffirmed my reasoning for choosing PBH (i.e. bigger rooms and bathroom, better food offerings in the lounge etc.) so I’m really pleased and very much looking forward to our stay! 😊
derenstar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List