Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 12 Jun 19, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Danielle87
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile Hotel and parking

Hi we are flying from Gatwick which we have never done before. So we are needing to book hotel and parking which is also new to us. Hotel and parking recommendations would be great thank you. We are flying from south terminal.
Danielle87 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 19, 12:22 PM  
Link to this Post
dannybegood
Trainee Dibber

google/search?sour...63.nirdyxjQSAU

Take your pick.

Bloc is supposed to be good.
dannybegood is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 19, 12:37 PM  
Link to this Post
itsmeGAV
Apprentice Imagineer

For our last 3 trips out of Gatwick we've used BLOC, the hotel is in the South terminal and they offer great prices with the room + parking, plus dependent of room you can watch the planes taxiing and taking off, it's really fun!

Parking provided is purple parking meaning you drop your car off in short stay purple and collect in short stay red, a lot of people don't like the idea of leaving their key with them, but for all 3 of the stays/bookings we have had zero issues as the car is driven to a long stay car park onsite which is not even a mile away.

There are of course many other options.. Sofitel, Premier Inn, Travelodge etc, but we love the BLOC so always recommend it first
Jan 24 - Family timeshare, Vacation Villages at Parkway
Mar 25 - Family timeshare, Holiday Inn Club Vacations @ Orange Lake

Edited at 12:56 PM.
itsmeGAV is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 19, 12:48 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
First of all don't make a decision on hotel based on the terminal. Both sides are couple of minutes ride on the free monorail.

If you shop at Tesco you can stay "free" using Tesco Deals. Not really free of course as at £3/£1 you'll "pay" the equivalent highest rack rate. Typically for us its around £135 for B&B = £45 in Deals.

If I'm paying with my own real money I've never beaten cost-wise the Premier Inn just over the road from the north terminal. Excellent Meal Deal as well

Because of age and mobility issues we always park at one of the official multi-storey ones attached to both terminals. Can't face lugging cases onto shuttle buses to go to distant car parks. We use valet parking and car is usually on same level as arrivals.

We've often flown and parked at north but stayed in hotel on south - and vice versa.

Mick
Old 12 Jun 19, 12:54 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

We’ve booked the Hilton south terminal (usually fly from Heathrow so never booked a hotel before either) and got a really good deal through my emergency services discount. Did consider the Bloc but was more expensive and the Hilton included breakfast. Parking wise I would book on of the onsite parking where you self park and keep your keys. My husband is a police officer near Heathrow and is very anti parking anywhere that they take your keys!

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 19, 12:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
For over 10 years we stayed in The Arora in Crawley. Still a lovely hotel but the food is getting more and more expensive so we ditched it.

I agree with Mick & Joan - the PI at the North. Great location, good value food and book early for a good price.

The car I have taken away by Maple Meet & Greet. Used them for donkeys years. 10% off if you sign up.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 19, 01:02 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by NewtoOrlando View Post
Parking wise I would book on of the onsite parking where you self park and keep your keys. My husband is a police officer near Heathrow and is very anti parking anywhere that they take your keys!
I can understand your concerns with all the recent bad press about rogue operators leaving cars on industrial estates or residential streets.

The official LGW parking keeps the car within a fenced compound on the actual airport site. After using it maybe 5 or 6 times and checking the odometer reading every time I have no reason to doubt them.

Mick
Old 12 Jun 19, 02:00 PM  
Link to this Post
itsmeGAV
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by mick View Post
I can understand your concerns with all the recent bad press about rogue operators leaving cars on industrial estates or residential streets.

The official LGW parking keeps the car within a fenced compound on the actual airport site. After using it maybe 5 or 6 times and checking the odometer reading every time I have no reason to doubt them.

Mick
I'll second this.

I actually watched back on my dashcam to find they use the long stay fenced carpark which is under the flight path for 26L. Under 500m away, never once had an issue with leaving my key, plus your car will be waiting for you when you arrive.
Jan 24 - Family timeshare, Vacation Villages at Parkway
Mar 25 - Family timeshare, Holiday Inn Club Vacations @ Orange Lake
itsmeGAV is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 19, 07:44 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by mick View Post

Mick
Originally Posted by itsmeGAV View Post
I'll second this.

I actually watched back on my dashcam to find they use the long stay fenced carpark which is under the flight path for 26L. Under 500m away, never once had an issue with leaving my key, plus your car will be waiting for you when you arrive.
It's not so much the bad press, he's actually dealt with calls where this has happened so that's the reason why he wont do it. His car is his baby lol. Luckily we live 15 mins from Heathrow so don't have to park the car and get lifts if going from LGW so don't have to worry Not saying it happens a lot or all the time but he deals with it often enough to make him nervy about giving his keys to a stranger.

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 19, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Danielle87
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Thank you for all the information. Am going to look in to the Tesco discounts and also the nhs as I didnt no they had a discount. Also the information with what side to stay as it doesn’t matter which is great. My husband wouldn’t leave his keys with anyone also as his car is his baby lol thanks again
Danielle87 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List