Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 7 Jan 19, 08:20 AM  
Link to this Post
dizzymcfarlane
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by ERICSMUM View Post
What about cross stitch ? It’s not as popular as it was, perhaps because it takes a while to stitch a small area. Very satisfying though. HobbyCraft have some small kits to start you off (not cheap though )
I used to cross stitch, I’ve lost the love for it (and I find it hard to see now ! Old age etc).
dizzymcfarlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 19, 08:21 AM  
Link to this Post
dizzymcfarlane
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by jillyb View Post
I taught myself to crochet watching youtube. I'm left handed and there are plenty of video's on there for left and right handed people.
I’m left handed too - just to add to mix. You tube seems to be the way to go.
dizzymcfarlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 19, 08:23 AM  
Link to this Post
dizzymcfarlane
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks everyone. You tube will be easiest I think. There’s no classes for anything where I live. I’ve got it in my mind to do squares and build them up for blankets for Elvis my campervan 😀🚐
Old 7 Jan 19, 08:51 AM  
Link to this Post
hideinpockets
Apprentice Imagineer

hideinpockets's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by dizzymcfarlane View Post
Thanks everyone. You tube will be easiest I think. There’s no classes for anything where I live. I’ve got it in my mind to do squares and build them up for blankets for Elvis my campervan 😀🚐
Squares are definitely the easiest thing to start on! You’ll be smashing them out in no time!
hideinpockets is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 19, 09:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Scotty
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mymemories View Post
Oh no they’re not !

My son bought me the Mickey and Minnie ones and when I took out the instructions I initially thought they were printed in a different language.

I told him when I eventually retire I may get time to try and teach myself how to do them.
Oh, sorry for the duff information. My gran taught me to crochet as a child and we used to churn out blankets and squares constantly. You get some lovely baby clothes patterns. I find it so much easier than knitting.
Old 7 Jan 19, 09:23 AM  
Link to this Post
DollyDimples
Getting Excited

I also taught myself from you tube. One word of caution though. British and American crochet stitches are called the same things but are different from each other so make sure you know which one you are looking at!
DollyDimples is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 19, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
DollyDimples
Getting Excited

This is also handy:

learn2knit/crochet/basic-stitches.php

But definitely have a look at youtube too because the diagrams will make much more sense if you do.
DollyDimples is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 19, 10:22 AM  
Link to this Post
pinkstargirl
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

I taught myself crochet by watching YouTube videos. One channel I can recommend is Bella Coco - she’s very good for all levels and also often posts 2 videos for each project - one right handed and one left handed!
Definitely make sure you understand the different terms used in US crochet if you watch any US videos.
pinkstargirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 19, 11:18 AM  
Link to this Post
JSP
Imagineer

Try Bella coco on you tube, she is British and does a beginner square tutorial x

Edit sorry just saw the above post, that’s what happens when the phone rings and you don’t refresh the page before posting!

Edited at 11:19 AM.
JSP is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 19, 11:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Lostbrain
Imagineer

I love to crochet, once you have nailed a chain stitch it’s quite straightforward, much easier than knitting and much quicker too. I self taught with a book, I need to go back to it often to remember how to do each stitch!
Lostbrain is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List