Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Jun 19, 11:20 AM  
Link to this Post

Thoughts on online food shopping

Keep promising I am going to try this. Often see delivery vans from the main supermarkets in my area but never really got up the energy to do it.

Does it really help? What are the things to watch out for and what's good about it.

Views and hints please.

Worth the effort or not?

Would be getting my delivery on a Monday morning. When would I have to order by?

Do you do a full weekly shop or just staples?

Benefits of delivery v click n collect?

I need to sort food planning out more generally!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 19, 11:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Try Ocado, IMO the best by far in my region at least. Always on time, one hour slots, very rare substitutions and really helpful customer services. Also tried Tesco, Sainsbury’s and Morrison’s but Ocado much needed.
Really good offers for first orders too. Initially it can be time consuming navigating the websites and getting the hang of quantities etc but once you have done it a couple of times it’s really easy
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 19, 11:29 AM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I could easily do on line shopping but i hate the thought of someone picking my fruit etc.
katiec68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 19, 11:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by FamilyGWales View Post
Keep promising I am going to try this. Often see delivery vans from the main supermarkets in my area but never really got up the energy to do it.

Does it really help? What are the things to watch out for and what's good about it.

Views and hints please. similar to supermarket shopping, look for the offers, usually an offers section. After the first couple of shops they usually suggest offers to you

Worth the effort or not?
initial couple of shops feel like a major effort but definitely worth it in long run

Would be getting my delivery on a Monday morning. When would I have to order by? depends on your local service really although you can reserve a regular slot. Use the app as you can add to your trolley easily when you remember things

Do you do a full weekly shop or just staples? both really. I have a delivery pass with Ocado and minimum spend is £40 which isn’t too bad so no prob with small orders

Benefits of delivery v click n collect? apart from saving loads of rime I spend less and don’t waste as much. Also Christmas deliveries are a godsend. Also you don’t get soaked when; it’s raining!

Further replies in red
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 19, 11:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
We do Waitrose because DH works for them so we get 15% discount.

Free delivery over £60 so I do a ‘big shop’ once a month and freeze stuff. Lots of ‘three for £10’ deals on meat and fish so I get those, divvy them up into portions and freeze.

They charge for plastic bags (and we are two floors up so they say we must have them) but they also take your spare plastic bags (even from other retailers) and knock money off your bill for returning them.

Couldn’t do without them, nice to do my shopping on the train!

I then use my local Morrisons for top-ups.
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 19, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

I have had varied success with Sainsbury’s,Tesco and Asda ...very short dated stuff , crazy substitutes even when ticking the no substitute box..
But Waitrose is a whole new ball game ...always on time ,price match to many supermarkets, will always take something back without having to call the store eg I need spaghetti they sent fusilli and I didn’t want it .
Food always with a decent enough date span I can’t fault them , I don’t use them all the time but especially when we come back from holiday, Christmas and when they send offers which is about every two months.

In my area ( fairly rural) Waitrose were the only company who fulfilled all their deliveries during heavy snow .
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 19, 12:00 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by FamilyGWales View Post

Views and hints please.

Worth the effort or not?

Would be getting my delivery on a Monday morning. When would I have to order by?

Do you do a full weekly shop or just staples?

Benefits of delivery v click n collect?

I don't do it very often but I do from time to time. I did it for my main Christmas shop last year and I will definitely be doing that every time from now on.

The main advantage is it is convenient and saves time. Disadvantage is that there can be substitutions or missing items, that you don't get to rummage to the back to get the longest dated items (I don't know what the policy is on date picking).

I wouldn't bother with click and collect, if I am going to the supermarket anyway I might as well take my time to make my own picks and ensure I get the best deals.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 19, 12:04 PM  
Link to this Post
claireyfairy8
Apprentice Imagineer

claireyfairy8's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
I do a tesco shop every week.
I find that I end up spending less money as I actually stick to my shopping list.

On the odd occasion I've got a short shelf life, quick email to customer services and they refund it. No problems.

Only had one van turn up late (last week) which was due to the main road flooding, not really their fault.

I never get plastic bags delivered, the items arrive in crates. The delivery drivers leave the crates with us. I'm guessing as we order almost every week for about a year, they trust us. However, they must lose crates by doing this.

If you want the monday morning, you'd probably need to pick your slot the wedesnday/thursday before. Once you've got that checked out, you can add stuff in as you please nornaly up to midnight the night before. Each supermarket will vary on this.

I really couldn't be bothered traipsing round the shop every week and the likelihood is that I will forget something!

I pick my slot on a Thursday for the Sunday morning and finish my shop by midnight on the Saturday.
claireyfairy8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 19, 12:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
I used to find it very convenient when I was working and DD does a lot of her shopping that way. When I retired I gave it up but maybstart again as I hate hate hate going supermarket shopping. We have a large Tesco and it is too big for me. I much prefer our M&S Food Store. It is much smaller and IMHO has better quality food. I may try Waitrose/Ocado.
Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 19, 12:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

I order our shop from asda every week, have it delivered every Monday morning so will order that today, I book a re urrong delivery slot so I know I get that time each week. First weeks a faff cos you have to look through everything and fathom site out but after that it takes me about 20-30 minutes at most cos a lot are things I order week in or week out so in my favourites list, it just takes a bit longer to look for other bits and bobs and I like to look at special offers. I like how easy it is to get a refund on items you arnt happy with too, if I was in store I wouldn't say pick a pack of bacon covered in fat so if they send it me like that I'll just get a refund cos why should it be sent to me and me be happy with it? Anything that is poor quality I always claim a refund for. Think they are wise to me cos its rare I claim now I've had nothing short dated or poor quality for a bit... Hope I ain't just jinxed myself lol.
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List