Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Jun 19, 09:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

Defence discount services and change by BA

Those of us with the Defence Discount Services Card, the rules regarding the BA Discount has changed. (Again)

Now only economy, and Club World fares are now allowed and only on BA flights, not codeshare flights by partners (I.e. BA flights, not American)

Plus, it’s only now for flights only, and specifically excludes BA Holidays packages.

Pity that.

However, tge ts and Co don’t actually agree with the front page, as it specifies more than economy and Club World...
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 19, 09:56 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Seems a bit churlish to complain on a public forum about losing a bit of a perk that you got as a result of being employed by the tax payer.

The majority of those who paid you don't get access to those discounts (even though it's really them who have paid for the perks to be there in the first place)

I really don't agree with public servants getting perks just for having made a career choice
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 19, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
g1970
Imagineer

g1970's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
That's a bit harsh.

I'm assuming Warkman was in the armed forces, which is a bit different from being a civil servant.

Edited at 11:03 AM.
g1970 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 19, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill635
Imagineer

Gill635's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

To be fair, the discount given is better than that given to BA staff (not including standby travel)

Very often, the “discounted hotline” fares are actually more expensive than booking via BA.com so technically it’s a discount staff don’t get.

I’m not disrespecting the armed forces at all btw, my own brother is a serving member. I just think it’s worth checking things like this out before posting on a public forum. It’s brilliant they support the armed forces, it’s not so brilliant if you work for them and find out someone gets something you don’t as an employee and then isn’t happy that the terms have changed
Old 22 Jun 19, 12:19 PM  
Link to this Post
shabba
Apprentice Imagineer

shabba's Reviews
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
Seems a bit churlish to complain on a public forum about losing a bit of a perk that you got as a result of being employed by the tax payer.

The majority of those who paid you don't get access to those discounts (even though it's really them who have paid for the perks to be there in the first place)

I really don't agree with public servants getting perks just for having made a career choice
The fact that you can make such a statement is quite frankly, down to our Armed Forces. Of which enough isn't recognised for the service given & gave.

DDS isn't a "perk" it actually costs £5 to buy. It's MOD civil servants only who are entitled, of which a great deal served.

Without Public Servants, we wouldn't have the services, you probably take for granted and whinge about I bet.

Edited at 12:32 PM.
shabba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 19, 12:44 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

I received “perks” in my job but you can be assured that they were included by my employers when they calculated my over-all “remuneration package”.

I’m sure this happens in lots of jobs. Employers use it as a way of keeping the base salary low so they can keep their pension contributions low too.

Perks that are granted which have a monetary value (mine was medical insurance cover, car allowance, my private use of company mobile phone) are also taxable at marginal rate as Benefit in Kind.

So, perks aren’t just freebies.

In the OP’s case they are a way of keeping costs for the tax-payer down. I’m sure the OP would rather have a higher pensionable salary rather than perks that he might not use.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 19, 02:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill635
Imagineer

Gill635's Reviews
Mobile

As I stated earlier, I’m really not trying to bash our armed forces (or NHS staff either for that matter as I know they get discounts) as they all work incredibly hard for little reward. Plus, we ALL use discounts if we can get them.

Let’s just say though (for arguments sake) you have worked for A N Other Company for 10 years. As part of your work package / perks, you receive a 10% discount on product.

You go onto a public forum, and find out that someone who has never worked for them, has been getting 25% discount for years. This is now being cut to 20%, and said person is not happy and is complaining (which I kind of get)

They’re receiving a way better discount than you ever have as part of your employee package, yet have never worked for the company. Are you saying you would be totally cool with this and not at all annoyed?

This forum attracts people from all jobs, companies and walks of life. That’s what’s so great about it. Personally, I don’t think it’s right to complain about something such as this on here, as there are indeed BA staff members who don’t get any discounts on here. It’s not nice for them to hear that others get things they can’t, never mind that they’re complaining about those benefits being reduced

On an Armed Forces forum, yes completely.

That’s the only point I was trying to make
Old 22 Jun 19, 04:49 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by shabba View Post
The fact that you can make such a statement is quite frankly, down to our Armed Forces. Of which enough isn't recognised for the service given & gave.
Which I myself also served in on leaving university, I chose to leave years ago though.

I thank you for the recognition of my and my colleagues service though
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 19, 04:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlandobelle
VIP Dibber

Orlandobelle's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Mobile

I've always got a better discount via my brother's hotline fares than using DDS.
Easter 06 Calabay Parc/Vero Beach
Easter 07 Sunset Lakes/RPR Trippy
Hallowe'en 07 Sunset Lakes/HRH ~ Hallowe'en 08 Highlands Reserve & HRH
Xmas 09 - Bella Vida/HRH/Pop Trippy
Jul 2010 Bella Vida & RPR Photos
OKW & Bahama Bay for Christmas 2012
Summer 2015 ~ Cabana Bay & Terre Verde Sept 2016 -- Solo @ Pop / BWV / Sapphire Falls

Orlandobelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 19, 08:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Guest View Post

Wow! When I was being shot at by the IRA and the Argentinians, I should have been greatful that us armed forces were getting a discount more than you who wasn’t in any firing line.
Thank you for seeing what we did for you and this country, when I next visit the graves of my friends who gave their lives in service of tge country, I will be sure to tell them how lucky they are to get a 10% discount in flights.
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List